The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Looking for the name of an effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
I'm trying to find the name of an effect so I can ask questions about it without having to describe the method.

Essentially, a spectator is allowed a free choice from a face-up spread. In this version, the card ends up having something like this written on the back, "Why the four of hearts?" at the end (in magic marker).

No real slights except a false shuffle and maybe a hindu shuffle to show a few backs. The reveal can be either a similarly colored back or a different color.

So, what is this called?

Thanks,
BillM
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Many effects similar to this. Could be done very easily with "Eight Card Brainwave" You mentioned spread, how many cards?
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Whole pack.
Yes, it uses the same principle that a lot of color changing deck routines use without any gaffed cards. I've seen the same idea for what I think was called the 'chameleon deck' too.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Unfortunately there are many ways to accomplish this effect. So cannot tell you the name of the one you are looking for. After you get more posts (I believe 50), you can go to the "secret sessions" section and tip your method.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Writeall,

When you do get to 50 posts, I will tip a method that is SO old it will even fry magicians in the know - not that fooling magicians is something I am into.

Welcome to the Café.

Rennie,
Nice to see you chime in! Mr. Trost is smiling at you Smile

Ahimsa,
Vlad
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
I don't need a method, I have a method that works fine. I was looking for the name so people would know the effect when I asked about it.

I wanted to ask about presentation. If you guys are familiar with this (and I expect everyone is) I just had a question about the logic of it. Here's the deal -- I use a NLP style patter along the lines of I'm subtly influencing their choice with a build up of several opportunities to change their mind (which gives a few extra displays of regular backs in the process)and a lock-in of ultra fair. I had been using a reveal where the final selection is both written on, "Why the Six of Spades" and a different color back from the rest of the deck.

Someone pointed out that the 'extra' magic of a different color back took away from the NLP style patter and I should just go with the writing on the back. I've done it both ways and can't tell, but what they said makes sense to me.

So, I guess I was just looking for opinions on how well an effect should fit with the logic of the patter and when a 'bonus' detracts. A crude example would be a mentalist who does a flashy production in the middle of a mind reading effect.
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Oh, I forgot to thank you for the 50-posts and ask directly -- that's an excellent suggestion. I understand the need to be coy, but it really does make it hard to communicate.

Appreciate any advice you can give.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-07-04 05:26, writeall wrote:
Oh, I forgot to thank you for the 50-posts and ask directly -- that's an excellent suggestion. I understand the need to be coy, but it really does make it hard to communicate.

Appreciate any advice you can give.

Writeall,

I was not being coy. Merely following the rules. The 50 posts allows you access to secret sessions and I thought that once you have access you could avail yourself of the information that is there. Having said that, I am aware that I misunderstood your original question, or rather that the method didn't seem to communicate to me that this was an effect that I would recall as having a specific title. Could be either I suppose. Smile

The point Rennie and I were making is that there are a lot of methods to achieve the effect you have described. Sometimes effect titles can be confusing as you know. For instance there is an excellent effect called The Sting by Walt Maddison, and there is one called The Sting by Darwin Ortiz. Both are are excellent yet both are vastly different effects.

Apologies I cannot in this case give you an exact effect title.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
I appreciate the response. Any missteps are my fault, I'm learning my way around.

It's a good rule, the 50 posts bit. Any thoughts on my presentation question in general? The idea that sometimes too much magic takes away from an effect? We can forget the method for now, I'm wondering how you think the audience views the two different endings.

If we banter it back and forth long enough, I'll have my fifty anyhow.

I'll take one more shot at describing what I intended to ask:

I'm thinking of an effect (any effect) as a sort of vignette. A little play with a story line. The elements are props, patter and the 'what happens'. My instinct is to try and see it from this point of view and eliminate anything that corrupts the storyline, even if it does add a bit of 'pizzaz' in the sense of 'seems more magical'. What do you think about too much frosting on the cake?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Looking for the name of an effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL