The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Help me make a chop cup? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1362 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I'm considering converting one of my cup and balls sets into a combo set; but I'm having trouble searching how. There's one website that showed how to make a (Wheatley) bamboo chop cup that seemed more time and money than just buying one!
I also saw a routine that David Regal did where he had simply scotch taped a m*****; and did not include showing the interior for the routine!!!
So... are there any sources (books or otherwise) on how to make your own chop cup!?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Magicians have turned any number of different types of cups into chop cups. This is usually done because a particular style of cup fits a particular routine's theme, or because the magician has a cup he likes and wants it gaffed. I've done some myself. I chopped miniature baseball caps, paper fez', small top hats, as well as cups with holiday themes, and a variety of others.

You did not mention the type of cup you have. This would have a lot to do as far as the method(s) to gaff the cup. Some types of cups and the materials they are made from will be easier than others. In some cases, I would say not to bother, and just buy a chop cup.

In other cases, you sometimes have a choice whether to gaff from the outside, or from the inside. In either case, it is usually advisable to conceal this gaffing, and that would again depend on the particular cup.

What have you got... wood cup, metal cup, plastic cup, something else??
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Sounds like you would be better off buying a Combo Set which already has the work done. If you want to match the inside, that might be difficult.

You also didn't say wht kind of equipment you have.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1362 Posts

Profile of lynnef
I have both a cheap aluminum set; but also a nice metal set. I'm taking all advice here ... and have decided to buy a chop cup set rather than make a combo set.
However, I also like the idea of using other items in place of a formal chop cup ... ahh the workshop. I read in another post of the use of a Pringles can, etc. If the story and misdirection drive the routine, concealment of the gaff is less an issue (a Pringles can is kind of dark inside, yes?) anyway, thanx for the advice.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22736 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
If your cheap aluminum set is a model made in India, then this chop cup may match your set exactly. There was an aluminum set of Cups and Balls on the market that matched this perfectly. They were made in India also.

This only cost $12.00 and is a very good chop cup the size of Cups and Balls sets.

Check it out here:
http://www.magicgoods.com/products/chop-cup.php
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You can use a Pringles can as is. You will not need to gaff it, as long as the ball has the m****t.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-06-29 11:31, Michael Baker wrote:
You can use a Pringles can as is. You will not need to gaff it, as long as the ball has the m****t.

Now that's a good idea and you could even produce a stack of those chips at the end. Smile
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Quote:
On 2010-06-29 11:31, Michael Baker wrote:

In my experience this doesn't work. Maybe the materials used vary geographically, but the one I tried it with had a non-ferrous base.

I made a chop cup using an aluminium cocktail shaker (I wanted bigger loads than are possible with the standard cups). I set the m****** inside some resin; just enough to cover it. When the resin was set I glued a circle of black felt over the inside base of the cup, and then I coated the walls of the cup with spray on glue and pressed black flocking material into it. This means that the inside of the cup is completely black, and perhaps more importantly it stops the final load talking so much.
Jolyon Jenkins
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1362 Posts

Profile of lynnef
In fact, I did end up using a Pringles can, and NO gaff was needed!!! I also borrowed from a Regal routine and used cat toy mice (who'd presumably eaten the chips). Mr Bakers suggestion worked for me! So I guess it depends on the particular Pringles can???
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2010-07-01 18:06, lynnef wrote:
In fact, I did end up using a Pringles can, and NO gaff was needed!!! ......... So I guess it depends on the particular Pringles can???

Undoubtedly. It's always worked for me, but I can understand that not all the cans used around the world may be made identical.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Loyal user
Scottsdale, AZ
251 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
I've found the "short stack" Pringles can found in mini-marts work well. And they're about the right height. Instead of a ball I just grab a napkin and roll it into a ball (to match the one I did just earlier with the m***** in it). I think that looks better than using crocheted balls with a potato chip can.

Jay Jennings
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of asgar
My mentor converted an antique cup to a chop cup.It looks really nice.I'm looking for a similar cup but couldn't find any.
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1362 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Quote:
On 2010-07-04 15:23, Jay Jennings wrote:
I've found the "short stack" Pringles can found in mini-marts work well. And they're about the right height. Instead of a ball I just grab a napkin and roll it into a ball (to match the one I did just earlier with the m***** in it). I think that looks better than using crocheted balls with a potato chip can.

Jay Jennings

wow, I love this idea. my toy mouse gaff is not so identical! I imagine a sponge ball might also work! But a napkin can lead to a story as well.
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Quote:
On 2010-07-12 22:14, lynnef wrote:...I imagine a sponge ball might also work! But a napkin can lead to a story as well....

.... or a balled up dollar bill???
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
madelaine
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of madelaine
And 2 years on a Pringles can still works...at least for me too!
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1065 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
You want something that has some weight to it, I personally would stay away from any food cans, etc.

A good idea is bullet shells, I am talking the big ones from military artillery. Go to any army surplus store ( We have one here in Pittsburgh that has been here as long as I can remember ), I am sure they have something you can use. The mouths on these even taper out somewhat, they are fairly heavy and just look good and come in all sizes. Hope this helps!

Chuck Caputo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gekB9B1epjw
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Help me make a chop cup? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL