The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Help! They flock to the filbert like a moth to a halogen bulb (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of Perry D Winkle
Seriously. The kids see my Filbert pump and they want to play with it. I can't sit it down for 5 seconds without a child running up to play with it.

How do you handle this situation?

I know that it's fun, but it's still a fairly expensive piece of equipment.

As always I value your feedback and all advice is greatly appreciated.
coma185
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of coma185
Have you tried a stun gun...LOL!
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
I get this ALL the time. The kids think its cool and want to help blow up the balloons. In certain settings I allow them to help push it down (they have their hand on it while I push).

I look forward to any insights on this.
Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
Cover your pump in shards of broken glass bottles. If asked why you would do such a thing around children just explain that you don't want them touching your stuff.

As always,
Dylan
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
Shoulder strap??
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
I say "Hey, I don't go to your house and touch your toys."
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Thanks for some ideas. The shoulder strap won't really solve the problem as I would have to constantly pick up and put down the pump.

I think MikeH has the right idea.
Jay Ward
View Profile
Veteran user
Flowery Branch, GA
328 Posts

Profile of Jay Ward
This is definitely a problem for me. Sometimes the kids put their head over it to feel the air. I tell them the nozzle is metal and could potentially poke their eye out. They understand that and usually stop. One thing that has worked is carrying a spare $4 qualatex pump-that purple one. The kids can play with it as much as they want. I even had one kid "air condition" me all night with one. It was a huge birthday party, so it was great! These aren't full solutions, because I too have this problem! Love my Filbert!
Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

I discovered something this weekend that seems to work well. If one of the children is tinkering with the pump, knocking it over etc I say, 'Careful bud you don't want to get too close to the filbert pump. Next thing you it will blow your head up THIS BIG!' And I make a large gesture with my arms. The children and parents get a laugh and they clear back a bit.
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
When kids play with my stuff I say:

"UH-OH! someone doesn't want to get a balloon...."

The kids look at me and stop toching my stuff. PERIOD!

Quick, honest but funny! End of story!
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore, MD
639 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
The filbert is usually painted with very bright, kid-friendly colors. Get some spray paint for plastic surfaces and, in the words of the Rolling Stones, "I want it painted black" Smile
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Baltimore, MD, USA
CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
454 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
I have that problem too. Especially since I have mine loaded with my new balloon bags made for it.

I just say, with a **BIG smile in a clowny voice**, "please don't" and that usually stops 'em. I haven't had kids persist past that but a few times and then I just ramp up the clowny part of "please don't" and it's always worked.

They like to pump their balloons. I let them do that in a few places but not all the time. Each kid usually hears something different from me if I don't want them to try and pump it. It's based on a lot of factors.

Bags are shown at http://www.topper.us Hope you like them!!! And my new balloon apron and clown handbags are shown too.
THANK YOU for helping us carry on our laughter ministry in hospitals to kids of ALL ages. Our visits are ALWAYS free. We NEED & DEEPLY appreciate your gifts of magic so that we can do what we do. Please PM me with questions or, for a faster reply, in most cases please text or call 214-578-1601

https://youtu.be/2DbAdXKIf-A
https://youtu.be/sXXXyk6LJgE
kmf
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of kmf
I don't let any kids touch it. Once one uses it to help me blow up a balloon then they all want to use it. I tell them not to touch it because if it breaks then I won't be able to blow up any more balloons because I can't blow up all the balloons with my mouth. Then I tell them that I would be so sad if I had to go home because my pump was broken and all the children would be sad because they couldn't get a balloon and then I would probably get into trouble because I couldn't blow up any balloons. I say this story pretty loud so all the other kids around could hear it so I wouldn't have to repeat myself. I purposely draw out my tale of woes with the broken pump. I think some kids don't touch the pump because they heard my story and don't want to hear it again - which means my story worked.
coma185
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of coma185
I love how you can tell the kid not to touch the pump, the kid grins at you and still keeps touching the pump, so you look up at the parents with a, feel like doing something look and they just stand there like zombies. That's usually when a balloon pops on the pump right in the kid's ear. Ooops!

I usually will tell the kids that they could pinch their finger on the pump and I don't want them to get hurt. 75% of the time that works.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2136 Posts

Profile of jlevey
Coma185 wrote: "...I usually will tell the kids that they could pinch their finger on the pump and I don't want them to get hurt. 75% of the time that works."

Building upon this suggested tactic, Jonathan wrote:

"...Glue a few bloodied (realistic-looking) false fingers (child size of course) to the outer casing of the pump."

...OK, just kidding.

One false finger glued to the outside of the pump should do it! Smile
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Help! They flock to the filbert like a moth to a halogen bulb (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL