The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Docc Hilford's The Vault (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
Picked up a copy of this 2-dvd set from my favorite magic dealer, Joe Pon at Misdirections Magic. Now I need to find the time to watch it. I will report back after I view it!
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3449 Posts

Profile of Looch
"Slit" is very very powerful...the girl who Docc did this for looked genuinely disturbed yet amazed

Great DVD
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
Watched the first disc of this two disc set and I am impressed. The material is stuff I've seen Docc do and teach at his lectures over the years however there is so much more detail in both presentation and explanation. The gem of the first disc is the interviews at the end of the disc where Docc talks about mentalism and performance. Well worth the price and that's just with only considering the first disc. I still need to view the second disc.
Hilksha
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
10 Posts

Profile of Hilksha
I love the effect Styx. Great DVD set.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I own a lot of Docc Hilford’s material, manuscripts, videos (tapes and DVDs), effects, utility items… I really like the way he thinks, his simplification of methodology and his story-telling like presentations make me smile. Up until recently, if asked which of his products was my favorite, I would have said that it was Real Mindreading (a video tape put out by Brian Flora). Much of the material from the tape was reconstructed on the Monster Mentalism series of DVDs, but the old tape still stands out for me.

Last week, The Vault arrived. This was a set that I was anxiously waiting for. I recognized 3 of the routines as pieces that I had read, but I had not seen them performed. The main one I wanted to see was the Ball and Tube.

I’ve had the manuscript for the Ball and Tube since it came out. There were a lot of discussions of the routine back then. I read through it a few times, but never worked on it. Sometimes we cannot visualize how someone else’s work looks just from reading about it. Now I had the chance to actually see it performed. What I saw not only made me grin, ear to ear, but blew me away because of the thought process that went into it.

In addition to the Ball and Tube, Docc utilized a key. I won’t say much about the key (as it has to be seen), except that Docc gives the best instruction on this method that I have ever come across. (Note: outside of Docc, I’ve only seen one other performer use this version. Back in the 90’s I saw Bill Wisch blow away a room full of magicians with this, including me, and I knew the method.)

A few pieces of paper, something to write with, and a pendulum, and act, or a one act show. I’d read Docc’s handling of this in one of his manuscripts. I also read Dr. Jak’s version many years ago and have my own (I posted a version here at the Café last year). I love pendulum routines, especially those where it is handled by others, and Docc’s work is a master class on this type of work. The performance was fantastic, and expanded from what he had published before. The explanation was even better than the performance.

The Nostrum Booktest is Docc’s work on the torn paper magazine/newspaper test. I first read his basic work on this in his Newspaper manuscript and gave myself one of those V-8 slaps to the head, then migrated to his methodology. This was the third routine on the DVD set that I felt I had to see. Once again, seeing Docc work this, and all the moments he gets from it, and the way he builds it to involve the entire audience is amazing. It is a fantastic routine with multiple moments, and it plays as large as you want it to play. Not bad for a borrowed paperback book and something to write on.

Styx is a fantastic routine where the performer demonstrates, and attempt to teach the ability to do near instant math. It is a well constructed presentation and premise that grows in difficulty and complexity as the routine goes on, and has an ending (difficult for these types of routines). Although the routine does not fit me, I learned some things I did not know about the items used (and I’ve been using them for several decades).

The Time Machine, I’d never heard of this routine of Docc’s. I know Larry Becker’s routine of the same name, so I was not sure if this would fit me. Then I watched the performance. WOW! The story is so finely crafted, and there is so much amazement and entertainment for little to no work.

The final piece, Slit, is Docc being Docc. From the discussions in the interview section, we learn that this was performed two different ways, the theatrical way that is on the DVD, and as a straight demonstration that ended up having too much impact and the spectator had to be reassured several times… As for the performance version, I don’t know what to say! This has everything but the kitchen sink, and it played very strong, so strong that one would think it was staged, but it wasn’t.

As I said, this is my favorite collection of Docc’s work, and it dawns on me now why. Not just the strong material, but this set (like Real Mindreading) fits me and the venues I play. It is presented in an intimate setting, this is not to say that it won’t play on stage, it will. But the way it was presented here is intimate and for the most part, the focus is on the guests, and there is a bit of a jazz elelement that makes it fun and exciting to perform..

I cannot speak for anyone else, but for me, this is ideal and killer material.

Tony Iacoviello
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Thank-you for the informative review Tony.

Rich
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Great review. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who had the ball and tube book, read it and had to see it. Actually the ball and tube and pendulum effects are the real reasons I bought this. So far I've watched ball &tube, styx and pendule and I feel that I have gotten far more than my money's worth, this all amazing stuff.

Also, not that I know Docc, my feeling is that the setting really demonstrates how good he is. The L&L set was amazing, but I feel like Docc's personality shines through here.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5134 Posts

Profile of Amirá
What´s the presentational frame for the Ball and Tube?
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
dennfox
View Profile
Inner circle
1680 Posts

Profile of dennfox
Ball and Tube much more detailed and really covers patter and psychology presented along with the additional haunted key.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
This is a great collection of DVDs but I can't say I really like it more than the Monster mentalism series. They both have their strengths and when talking about Docc, that is super strength!

I may have a reason to be biased Smile but I prefer the pedulum routine from the Monster set, Dead or Alive, which Docc was kind enough allow me to describe in detail in Trybil. Pendula is also very good so don't get me wrong.

Seeing The Balll And Tube actually done, espeically with the added touches was a joy to watch. You can see how much Docc treasures this performance and how that translates to its impact on the audience.

I've always liked Time Machine and this a paricularly fine and detailed handling. Docc is doing some incredible effects with props you wouldn't ordinarily think to apply to metalism.

And I agree that the interviews are excellent. I love to listen to Docc share his thoughts and beliefs on what makes for great mentalism. He doesn't pull punches and I think both the Monster set and The Vault should be in all mentalists' libraries.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2010-06-30 20:10, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
I own a lot of Docc Hilford’s material, manuscripts, videos (tapes and DVDs), effects, utility items… I really like the way he thinks, his simplification of methodology and his story-telling like presentations make me smile. Up until recently, if asked which of his products was my favorite, I would have said that it was Real Mindreading (a video tape put out by Brian Flora). Much of the material from the tape was reconstructed on the Monster Mentalism series of DVDs, but the old tape still stands out for me.

Last week, The Vault arrived. This was a set that I was anxiously waiting for. I recognized 3 of the routines as pieces that I had read, but I had not seen them performed. The main one I wanted to see was the Ball and Tube.

I’ve had the manuscript for the Ball and Tube since it came out. There were a lot of discussions of the routine back then. I read through it a few times, but never worked on it. Sometimes we cannot visualize how someone else’s work looks just from reading about it. Now I had the chance to actually see it performed. What I saw not only made me grin, ear to ear, but blew me away because of the thought process that went into it.

In addition to the Ball and Tube, Docc utilized a key. I won’t say much about the key (as it has to be seen), except that Docc gives the best instruction on this method that I have ever come across. (Note: outside of Docc, I’ve only seen one other performer use this version. Back in the 90’s I saw Bill Wisch blow away a room full of magicians with this, including me, and I knew the method.)

A few pieces of paper, something to write with, and a pendulum, and act, or a one act show. I’d read Docc’s handling of this in one of his manuscripts. I also read Dr. Jak’s version many years ago and have my own (I posted a version here at the Café last year). I love pendulum routines, especially those where it is handled by others, and Docc’s work is a master class on this type of work. The performance was fantastic, and expanded from what he had published before. The explanation was even better than the performance.

The Nostrum Booktest is Docc’s work on the torn paper magazine/newspaper test. I first read his basic work on this in his Newspaper manuscript and gave myself one of those V-8 slaps to the head, then migrated to his methodology. This was the third routine on the DVD set that I felt I had to see. Once again, seeing Docc work this, and all the moments he gets from it, and the way he builds it to involve the entire audience is amazing. It is a fantastic routine with multiple moments, and it plays as large as you want it to play. Not bad for a borrowed paperback book and something to write on.

Styx is a fantastic routine where the performer demonstrates, and attempt to teach the ability to do near instant math. It is a well constructed presentation and premise that grows in difficulty and complexity as the routine goes on, and has an ending (difficult for these types of routines). Although the routine does not fit me, I learned some things I did not know about the items used (and I’ve been using them for several decades).

The Time Machine, I’d never heard of this routine of Docc’s. I know Larry Becker’s routine of the same name, so I was not sure if this would fit me. Then I watched the performance. WOW! The story is so finely crafted, and there is so much amazement and entertainment for little to no work.

The final piece, Slit, is Docc being Docc. From the discussions in the interview section, we learn that this was performed two different ways, the theatrical way that is on the DVD, and as a straight demonstration that ended up having too much impact and the spectator had to be reassured several times… As for the performance version, I don’t know what to say! This has everything but the kitchen sink, and it played very strong, so strong that one would think it was staged, but it wasn’t.

As I said, this is my favorite collection of Docc’s work, and it dawns on me now why. Not just the strong material, but this set (like Real Mindreading) fits me and the venues I play. It is presented in an intimate setting, this is not to say that it won’t play on stage, it will. But the way it was presented here is intimate and for the most part, the focus is on the guests, and there is a bit of a jazz elelement that makes it fun and exciting to perform..

I cannot speak for anyone else, but for me, this is ideal and killer material.

Tony Iacoviello

Tony, thanks for yoru professional take on The Vault. It's wonderfful when a real Pro takes the time to do a review.

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
I finished it. It is SO good.
On reflection I do like the pendulum routine in monster mentalism better also, but I like the atmosphere better in the vault.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Thank you for the reviews gentlemen. I'm looking forward to getting my copy from the man himself off his website. http://www.docchilfordproducts.com

Can't wait to see guys.
guitarmagic
View Profile
Elite user
Southern Louisiana
424 Posts

Profile of guitarmagic
Many thanks for the review! I am excited about obtaining my copy!
Why is it that on one side of the world a person looks at a picture of the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks so real." At the same time on the other side of the world a person looks at the Grand Canyon and says, "it looks like a picture."
brehan
View Profile
Special user
holland
640 Posts

Profile of brehan
Does anybody now where to buy the styx sticks??
oralroberts
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
922 Posts

Profile of oralroberts
Thanks for the review, always appreciated.
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Louisville, KY
666 Posts

Profile of Bedford
Quote:
On 2010-07-05 11:24, brehan wrote:
Does anybody now where to buy the styx sticks??

That's a good question. I have seen them in the past but can't remember the trade name. Checked the usual sites but haven't run across them yet. I like the aluminum ones Docc uses on the DVD; those or similar ones would be nice. Failing that I will no doubt make my own.
The Alchemy Moon Collective
Find us on Gemini Artifacts
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
694 Posts

Profile of TheGingerWizard
Google 'buy mental logs' I found a few places selling the aluminium ones!
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Be careful. I ordered several sets from eTrickShop weeks ago, they have not arrived nor have I heard anything back from them on my order since the original invoice.

Tony
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Louisville, KY
666 Posts

Profile of Bedford
Daytona Magic has them listed, will try them. Tony, thanks for the heads up on the other place.
The Alchemy Moon Collective
Find us on Gemini Artifacts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Docc Hilford's The Vault (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL