The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » You break your arm, but the show must go on! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Hypothetical situation I want to propose now, which will hopefully never happen. Lets say you break your arm in an accident. You have over a dozen shows already booked and you cannot afford to turn them down. You can get a taxi to the show, so its really just about the tricks / routines that you can do one-handed?

What are your ideas?

1. A dove pan routine
2. Ten Foot pole production from paper bag
3. A simple Misers D'lite routine (with motion sensitive bag).
4. My ten item list mind-reading trick

Steve
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
How about the magic credit card, wherin you pull a Bank of Denmark credit card out of your shirt pocket, or wherever, go through the two mental math tricks, 1. the spectator predicts the Bank of Denmark, and a grey elephant on it, and 2. the spectator predicts how long you;ve had the card. There are two or three other tricks you can do with it as well, using an 8D and some wordplay. Not a good one for kids though because the math can be taxing for them. Good for adults and teens. I'm not sure who markets it, I've had mine for several years but it's out there somewhere. You might combine this with a good fire wallet, pulling the card out after the flame up. I'd think you could manage this with one arm and a little help from the arm in the sling or whatever?

Posted: Jun 29, 2010 6:54pm
Also, expensive, but you could do a Wellington Switchboard with one hand.

Posted: Jun 29, 2010 6:55pm
So sorry, I just realized we were in the Little Darlings Forum! Just couldn't help myself....(embarrassed)
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
Bob1dog,
I saw this effect your talking about years ago and didn't know the name of it. I have been looking for it for a long time. Is it called Bank Of Denmark? if not do you know the proper name. any help would be greatly appreciated
Bob
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
Ventriloquist routines.

Juggling

Change bag with audience volunteer

Props with audience bringing items to transform or sometimes I bring my own.

Levand's oil and water...with different patter than he uses...(it can't be done any slower) perhaps with vowels and letters that are not vowels..which I can't remember how to spell..(no I am not smarter than a 5th grader)perhaps with bird versus animal cards....

Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
MagicB1S, if I knew how to copy the thread in here I could send you to it....but we discussed it a little while back in the equations forum. There's a link in the post on how to get it....see if you can track it down...looks like it's presently marketed by MagicSmith, invented by Mark Jenest....hope this helps you find it....bob

S2000magician

Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
2606 Posts Posted: Jun 12, 2010 2:49am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2010-06-12 01:17, Bob1Dog wrote:
Nala, there a "credit card" effect a few years back that I'm sure would suit your interest here...the effect provides you with a phony plastic credit card from the Bank of Denmark and a gray elephant as a backdrop....there are several other things you can do with it....if you want more information, let me know and I'll PM you. You can carry the "credit card" in your favorite wallet or card to wallet for a continuation routine.....Best, Bob

This is one of Mark Jenest's brainchildren, marketed by MagicSmith. Lots of good ideas packed into one piece of plastic. Here's the link.

BCIII
The Polite Side of Magic
Risk Mitigation Associates
Bottom Line Gurus
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I would rely more and more on storytelling, and expand the role of my puppet. I have been lucky; a broken arm and a badly broken shoulder in the past few years have not affected my show, because an arm is not load-bearing, so it didn't need heavy plaster.

A broken leg was a bigger problem. Plaster up to my thigh made driving difficult. For the first few days, until I got used to it, I had a friend drive me to gigs.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
3 weeks ago, I had surgery (clavicular resection, bicep reattachment and rotator cuff repair), done arthroscopically. I have since done 6 stage shows, however, I did require the assistance of some of my "roadies". Wife and son have outdone themselves with help. I did have to slightly modify the set lists, but most everything went well. Wife kept tellng me to cancel, but some of these (library) shows were booked back in January, and I've NEVER cancelled a show. Don't plan to start now. I am out of the sling, but have very limited mobility of my right arm from the elbow up. You can do it, you just have to be creative.

Steve
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Well done, Steve. The show must go on. The attitude of a pro.
stijnhommes
View Profile
Special user
568 Posts

Profile of stijnhommes
Which hand? I can do a lot of things one handed, but if my left arm is broken, there are a lot of things I simply cannot do. Writing in an understandably fashion so audiences can read it, is one of them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » You break your arm, but the show must go on! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL