The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Smoothening your coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Arman.V
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
30 Posts

Profile of Arman.V
Hi, I have a few half dollars that are still in semi good condition which leads me to a problem, talking coins. I need to smoothen out my coins to keep them from making too much noise.

Does anybody have methods for smoothening coins?

P.S If you don't want to share your secrets with the public, please pm me.
Thanks

-Arman
Sword of the Soldier
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of Sword of the Soldier
I too am curious as too what people say on this topic...
Lloyd_SG
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Lloyd_SG
You can use those sharpening stone that is being used to sharpen your kitchen knife to make your coin smooth.

Just place your coin flat onto the stone, then rub the coin onto the stone in a clockwise direction till it gets smoothen.
Arman.V
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
30 Posts

Profile of Arman.V
That's very interesting, ill try it. Im guessing it worked for you?
sarjito
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of sarjito
Hi,

I use wet and dry finest grit on a flat surface like mirror or glass.

it works for me.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3410 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
What ever medium you use, wet stone (would be my first choice) or emery cloth, if you move the coin in a figure eight (8) pattern you will obtain the best results.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
ftlum
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, CA
727 Posts

Profile of ftlum
Try searching on softening coins:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0

- Frank
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8798 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Pretty easy to just get yourself a few soft halves, like Walking Liberties, rather than trying to soften coins yourself. They wouldn't cost you much to get a set of 5. Check ebay for worn Liberty halves.
*Check out my latest: The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Brother Smooth (MB) makes a good suggestion as you will unlikely get the result you want doing it yourself! IF you do want to do it, Steve's (Stanyon) suggestion IS the method of choice for best results! Keep in mind that softening "clad" coins (post 64) isn't worth the effort, they really need to be silver!

If you have a coin shop in or near by ask the dealer to let you rummage through his "Cull" or "Slick" coins! I've made up great sets this way!

MMc
jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Hi,
I used the wet stone idea, as stated above, and not that it's incorrect, I just personally didn't like the results. Especially around the edges. On the Morgans, there's this raised portion( reeding?)all along the circumference of the coin and the wet stone really flattened that out. Made it larger, width wise, than it should be. Really a big difference when compared to an un-treated Morgan.
The wet stone also made a really sharp edge. Not that bad I suppose, it works well for classic palming.
I eventually went to the coin shop, just as Mickey has pointed out, and found what I was looking for.

Jim
Arman.V
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
30 Posts

Profile of Arman.V
Thanks for all the tips guys

Mickey, what exactly are cull/slick coins. Does that just mean they are worn out
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8798 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Exactly AV...Usually very worn. The more worn, the more silent they are. Smile
*Check out my latest: The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
tvellalott
View Profile
New user
melbourne, australia
54 Posts

Profile of tvellalott
Will you get that blackness around the detail if you do it by wetstone?
Lloyd_SG
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Lloyd_SG
Arman.V: the sharperning stone method isn't from me. I learn it from Daryl's 3 Fly 3 DVD. I tried it it on my half doller and it works well.If you have a number of coins to smoothen, you might need a little patience to get it done.

I think I have menthioned it wrongly in my post above. You have to rub the coin in a figure of 8. Thanks to Stanyon for mentioning it.

tvellalott: You won't get any blackness on the coin. Mine still stays silver.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Tvellalott,

There are methods to enhance that aged look you're after! Do a search here on the Café for "Aging" or "Softening" coins and it should give you several ideas and methods!

MMc
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
499 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
Go to your local coin shop and they should have lots of coins to chose from.
They usually have lower grade coins in a "cull" box. You should be able to match up condition and color pretty easily.

Good luck in your search,

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
Arman.V
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
30 Posts

Profile of Arman.V
Sounds good, I think I'm gonna find a coin shop and look for old coins first. If I cant do find them then ill just do it myself. Thanks guys

-Arman
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Arman,

I've taken my gaff coins with me to coin shops and with a bit of rummaging, put together some nice "matched sets"! Quite frankly, worth my time and effort! The "culls" have no collector value and therefore go for the current price of silver usually! While you're at it look for English and Aussie pennies for your copper/silver needs!

MMc
Arman.V
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
30 Posts

Profile of Arman.V
That's a great idea mickey, thanks

-Arman
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
499 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
Quote:
On 2010-07-02 00:40, MickeyPainless wrote:
Arman,

I've taken my gaff coins with me to coin shops and with a bit of rummaging, put together some nice "matched sets"! Quite frankly, worth my time and effort! The "culls" have no collector value and therefore go for the current price of silver usually! While you're at it look for English and Aussie pennies for your copper/silver needs!

MMc

Yes the English Penny is an excellent suggestion. I went to a local coin shop just last weekend and asked if they had any English Pennies and he brought out a bag of them. He was selling hem for 50 cents a piece but I asked him "How much for all of them?"

I ended up getting them for 20 cents each and got 100 for 20 bucks. I also got some steel coins for my PK ring and Mexican Centavos for 10 cents each.

As far as the Silver stuff..wait for a pullback on the price of silver and then go to the coin shop and buy all their "off grade" silver stuff. They should sell you it for "melt" (The cost of silver)

Good luck!!

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Smoothening your coins (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL