The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » AGT- Dancing Hank (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Quote:
On 2010-07-07 02:29, wmhegbli wrote:
Who sets the conditions, well in my case, the person who allowed dealer/manufacturer make, market, and sell the tricks. There was no contract, but the advertising stated no television rights. This was years ago in the 1970's and 1980's. I probably can not as all the parties are most likely no longer with us. Just wanted to note that it had been done in the past, a different time in our culture.

ad schmad. If it's not in a contract when you purchase the trick the you can perform it wherever you want! That's why Bob Koehler has you lease certain items. The lease is a binding contract that legal action can be levied against. And one of the clauses is a no tv clause.

Bock to the topic. I think he was another unprepared magician looking to get some free air time for a demo reel. He may be a great guy/magician but this trick was not rehearsed and tv worthy.
Stick to what you do well! It'll show and the judges will love you for it Smile
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
I've watched the video several times and I have no idea where the exposure is. But I also don't know what the gimmick would look like if I saw it.

Just giving another perspective: perhaps laymen really didn't actually see anything.
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1328 Posts

Profile of Servante
That'd be great to hope for, Scott...but one of the trolls among the first bunch of comments remarks about having seen the gimmick.
'Course, it was so horribly done that many watching it might actually believe the guy worked out his own little dancing hank machine that has nothing to do with other times they've seen it.
I, for one, had never seen it done out of a little suitcase quite that way (Maybe I've just been lucky!).

-Philip
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1222 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
I have to second what Scott Burton has said. My wife and my brother, both who have worked on my show, did not catch it when they saw it. It was quick and they didn't know what they were looking at. It was after they saw it again on Youtube and saw the comments that they could see the gimmick.
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
730 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
Poor poor guy!
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
I agree that some fools watch the video many times then post on the comments page. There was a negligible fumble but I really think the producers edited it to make it seem like an epic failure. Respect still goes out to the 'Spellbinder'
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6821 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Whew! I have to admit, I was worried, but then, I saw NOTHING in the way of gimmicks. That backstage shot was not revealing at all...in my opinion, nothing was exposed.

Sean has nothing to worry about. Now if Sean and Jaxon were performing this, I'll bet the judge's reactions would be different! They are great workers of this and Sean's other dancing hank effects!

Doug
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1903 Posts

Profile of chmara
If you do not know the gimmick - you did not see the gimmick and vice versa.

The real problem here is explained -- the 90 second wow limit is not condusive to developing any magic ROUTINE in a traditional style to bring people into enchantment. Just flash and fire -- and maybe sophisticated gore.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
After watching the video link, I was pleased that the effect wasn't as badly exposed as I had feared.

This guy probably does a decent routine with the effect, it was simply not an effect that he should have attempted for a TV show.

And I agree completely with chmara's statement.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
On the rights to perform on TV issue. First of all Sean said that if anyone spends the money and purchases it from him then they can perform it anywhere they wish. He also said that every performer has a bad day and it's unfortunate that this guys bad day happened to happen on national television.

Not everyone does this but I know that Sean's products come with a registration card (Or it can be registered on his website). On it states that this gives them the right to perform his products on TV and things like that. Even if they didn't register their products he wouldn't even think about taking any legal actions just because someone did something like what happened on AGT.

If someone was to perform the dancing hank in a situation like this. I wouldn't have started with the Animation sensation. The Ultimate Dancing hank is a more logical opener. It's more eye appealing and exciting to watch. The Animation sensation that he started with is best used as an additional effect. Well actually to the spectators it's all one single effect. They think there's only one hand and the hank just went to the case.

Anyway, I read around and some say the guy is a nice guy and actually not a bad performer. Was just nervous and had a bad experience. We all have them.

Sean also said that it was painful to see it happen the way it did but it really didn't hurt anything. He's still sold a few of them since it happened and magicians are still performing it without someone saying "I saw how that was done on TV". But I'm sure you can imagine what it would have been like to see your effect on TV like that. Ouch. LOL

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Sean you've got nothing to worry about! Nothing was exposed here!!! What a relief!!!
domf
View Profile
New user
Canada
67 Posts

Profile of domf
Looked at it a few times and did not notice anything suspicious.

Dom
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
[quote]On 2010-07-07 09:40, Chad Sanborn wrote:
Quote:
..... I think he was another unprepared magician looking to get some free air time for a demo reel. He may be a great guy/magician but this trick was not rehearsed and tv worthy.
Stick to what you do well! It'll show and the judges will love you for it Smile

I think this is the key to this thread. Most of the acts on AGT are just well done (or not) catalog acts. If you elect to do an effect that has been done by countless others, you must do it better than all of the others and have it TV proof.
Even the great Lance Burton had a close-up camera focus on a bird coming out of a pocket of his black glove.
Parlour effects, stage effects et al, are geared for an audience view from 10-20 feet and if you don't account for a lens view, then you are just not prepared even if you've mastered the effect.
My other comment is, if you can walk into a magic shop and buy an effect, you are merely cloning an act. IF you elect to do it on TV, you must be better than every else who owns it. You also have to be the first version the judges ever see.
You must do your "signature" effect, not just another guy doing the effect.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Well, where the "exposure" of the method is shown is right before the hank is attached. It happens right after he accidentally closes the case. You can see the gimmick as clear as day for a second there. It happens at 2:17 in the YouTube video linked to in this discussion.

But, judging by some of your comments. Many of you didn't see it. Which makes it a good chance that the general public didn't see it either. So that's good news. Smile

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Ron, Sean's got nothing to worry about! We are magicians and we didn't see anything. Mix it with other parts of the routine that Sean is selling and you'll fool them all anyway! ;-)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » AGT- Dancing Hank (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL