The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cult following? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
In light of recent discussions, I thought I'd put out a light hearted question, yet ask for some serious answers (hehehe imagine trying to ask for serious answers in a Café of drunks Smile ).

If you all of a sudden up and decided to found a cult, what would you perform? And more importantly, what would your 'alibi' for your powers be?

Personally I would do:

Acidus novus revelation of a name
psychological forces
mind power deck with card to pocket

I would say that I was a genetic freak with the ability to pick up on concentrated thoughts.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
I would throw myself out of a skyscraper and bounce when I touch the ground. Smile
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I'd give myself the power to conjure trolls to do my bidding. I'm getting pretty good, huh?
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-06-30 21:10, gaddy wrote:
I'd give myself the power to conjure trolls to do my bidding. I'm getting pretty good, huh?

Intreaging power. So basically you would then possess the power to tell yourself what to do?
I guess that could be useful... In some situations.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Ok, I admit that was a *** good come back, freak! Smile

It made me laugh out loud!
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Healings, psychic surgery, prophecies - maybe.

Card to pocket - not so much.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Resurrect the dead, summon spirits to talk to the living, necromancy to reveal ancient secrets of the past, see into souls and reveal their secrets, control the actions of others.... that sort of thing.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Bob,

Card to pocket is easy...

Try Pocket to Card

Or Ceiling on Card

Or Bottle in Coin

Those are tough ones!

Although I'm sure those would be a piece of cake for Dr. Crow. Smile
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Quote:
On 2010-06-30 21:02, magicFreak2 wrote:

If you all of a sudden up and decided to found a cult, what would you perform? And more importantly, what would your 'alibi' for your powers be?

my alibi would be "you cannot sink my cheerio!!!!!!!!!"
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-06-30 21:31, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
Bob,

Card to pocket is easy...

Try Pocket to Card

Or Ceiling on Card

Or Bottle in Coin

Those are tough ones!

Although I'm sure those would be a piece of cake for Dr. Crow. Smile

Bottle in coin especially so!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-06-30 21:15, magicFreak2 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-06-30 21:10, gaddy wrote:

Intreaging power. So basically you would then possess the power to tell yourself what to do?
I guess that could be useful... In some situations.

not only myself, sunshine...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
There are several articles on how to indoctrinate potential followers. The principles are well known and don't rely on mentalism effects although Psychic Surgery was used by one cult leader some years back to impress his followers.
Mentat
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Mentat
Hypnosis effects & Seances.

They've worked for me so far.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-07-01 01:00, David Alexander wrote:
There are several articles on how to indoctrinate potential followers. The principles are well known and don't rely on mentalism effects although Psychic Surgery was used by one cult leader some years back to impress his followers.

This is true. A genuine cult leader does not bother with tricks that can be exposed when simple words and proven indoctrination/mind control techniques work very well.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
-spoon bending
-pseudo-psychometry
-forth dimensional telepathy
-Acidus Globus Q&A
-readings in general (private, group and platform), esp. using "psychometry A-Z" and related systems.

My logic is this, with the exception of Acidus Globus Q&A (which I have done, but only for one or two people at a time) I've done all of the above and felt that I could easily start a cult after performing any of them. The first time I did spoon bending was for a small group of skeptics.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Quote:

This is true. A genuine cult leader does not bother with tricks that can be exposed when simple words and proven indoctrination/mind control techniques work very well.

Not always true. Sathya Sai Baba is well known for streaming vibhuti (holy ash) from fingertips, manifestations of jewellery from thin air and producing a Lingam (egg) from his hanky. I mean his throat. He has millions of followers spread throughout hundreds of countries.

That is without going back to the miracles in the good book. Stick to snake, water to wine, prophesy based on historical record etc etc.

However all this is not necessary if you do what any good cult leader should do and that is create belief in an imagined future problem and build expectation around yourself having/being the solution.

Personally I would do it Benny Hinn style and use charisma, hypnosis and madness of the crowd.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Benny Hinn prey's on the despair and pain of those and their family who are in really bad situations around health. The motivation inspired by hope and strong emotion and religeous belief is already built in. Cult leaders tap into something that is already there and leverage it.

Scientologists have a process where they give you a free test which uncovers psychological weaknesses. They then amplify these weaknesses into full blown problems and offer a system that will solve them. Its a bit like therapy in reverse.

The strategy is always the same though tap into an emotion amplify it then lead the victim to where you want them to go. Build in phobias about leaving the group and alienate family and friends.

The military to certain extent uses cult conditioning. In order to "train" ordinary people to kill they must take them away from their family friends and normal living patterns. They then subject them to all kinds of "abuse" to elicit strong emotions then drill new behaviour and compliance into them.

When people are emotional they are also suggestible. Being "astonished" at a mentalism effect renders the audience suggestibale at that point. Which means effects can be used to deliver information that will stick. I have been playing around with this for a number of years. Although I have found it to be more effective just setting up a p resentation to open the hot buttons immediately and rarely use effects these days.

Ant mentions Sathya Sai Baba. In order for him to be successful he is most likely manipulating the other conditions mentioned in this post. Without them he would just be a magician.

I am sure if I wanted I could set up a cult. The first step is to find a group of people who are vulnerable and disatisfied with life. Get rapport by feeding back that you understand them. Aggravate the problem until their emotions are high then lead them to where you want them to go. Sounds a bit like politics?

You can also learn how to use some of these techniques "ethically" in business and sales.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I would deny that I have any special abilities and that I am not the true profit. For only the true profit denies his divinity....

We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
So youve been to one of my shows.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cult following? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL