The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Do You Take Care Of Your Image? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Lou Cirullo
Apparently Mr Steez performs at the head bangers ball. LOL
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
steez
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of steez
Quote:
On 2010-07-03 12:06, Al Angello wrote:
Lou Cirullo
Apparently Mr Steez performs at the head bangers ball. LOL

Better than performing at the local senior citizen home dressed like Larry King Smile
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Steez
Larry King HA HA HA, you are very observant. Yes Larry King is one of my idols, but my main source of income comes from making the little children laugh. That being said I have also done a few shows at old folks homes too. Of course I also dressed the same way when I did stand up at comedy clubs, and that worked for me too. I am glad that you have a sense of humor, and I hope that you have a profitable holiday.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
augiemagic
View Profile
Regular user
Overland Park, KS
162 Posts

Profile of augiemagic
Not that I'm an expert, but the thing that seems to matter most about your image is congruity. The Amazing Jonathan could get away with neon jogging pants because he's a big, crazy, funny dude. Jimmy Talksalot looks like a hobo (In all the best ways. Jimmy, I apologize, I can't think of a better way to put that) but it works for him, because that seems to be the type of character he performs as. It's also cungruent with his environment: the streets.

Note that it's not just about congruity with your performing style, but also with your venue, your audience, etc. Bill Malone wears suits because he performs for people who wear suits. David Blaine dresses like a guy off the streets because he performs for people off the streets. I dress like a freak because I perform for magicians.

ZING!
steez
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of steez
Quote:
On 2010-07-03 14:45, Al Angello wrote:
and I hope that you have a profitable holiday.

IIII doooon't knnnnoow, I don't own any overalls
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Agreed with much of what has been said
I wear clothes that are not "off the rack"
the rule of thumb is to dress similar to the audience you are entertaining but at least one notch above them!

of course if you have a character and a costume that goes with then that is what you wear most of the time.

silly billy has one outfit then again he only does kids shows

amazing jonathon has several outfits but they are similar and include a headband many times

again always be clean both you and your clothes carry a can of AXE or TAG with you so you smell nice too and try to be at least one notch up from they aucience

have fun

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Just for Chris Lyle here is a picture of me performing at the Velvet Lounge in DC. With my "purse: prominently displayed.

People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
And with some rather lovely fans afterwards.

Let's just say it was a ~successful~ night.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
augiemagic
View Profile
Regular user
Overland Park, KS
162 Posts

Profile of augiemagic
Quote:
On 2010-07-03 22:53, Sam Sandler wrote:

...carry a can of AXE or TAG with you so you smell nice...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

There is no excuse for AXE. Period.

:)
Luis Vega
View Profile
New user
Leon Guanajuato Mexico
74 Posts

Profile of Luis Vega
Quote:
On 2010-07-04 01:41, Natanel wrote:
And with some rather lovely fans afterwards.

Let's just say it was a ~successful~ night.

dude, those girls are beautiful!!!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
They just liked his purse...!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
You only get one chance to make a first impression (as the saying goes). Dress like you don't care and the audience will dismiss you.

A performer recently came to my daughter's school who literally had dirty hands (seriously: black palms and fingers), a dirty outfit, and props that were chipped and worn. Before he started the show, I had to assume he didn't take his performance nor his audiences all that seriously. And he hadn't even done anything yet. I had to assume he wasn't all that good.

True, your style of dress will be determined by character, audience, venue, etc. However, attention to detail in personal grooming will always be important.
augiemagic
View Profile
Regular user
Overland Park, KS
162 Posts

Profile of augiemagic
Agreed, Scott.

Dress like a freak if it suits your act and your crowd, but remember: nobody likes the smelly kid.
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
900 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
I like to perform with a big beer gut visible,ill fitting suit,and nostril and eye brow hair all over the show.Am I a bad person Smile
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
fingercramp
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of fingercramp
Like in the previous posts I believe it's up to your personality. I imagine a performer with obviously bad hygiene habits would be shot down more than someone who takes care of him or herself.

I always try to dress just one step above the audience I'm playing to. I like to adapt to the situation and then bump my own standards up a little to set myself apart from the spectator. I want them to think I'm different but give them the subtle suggestion that I'm like them. I want them to be curious/ interested in what I'm doing and even able to approach me.

So yes, to an extent, everyone should take care of themselves. After that, it's up to your personality. I do think the man purse should be outlawed.... or is that a satchel? Smile JK
"Be safe, keep the faith, and don't let 'em tearrr ya down."- the dude at the gate
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Quote:
On 2010-07-04 02:14, augiemagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-03 22:53, Sam Sandler wrote:

...carry a can of AXE or TAG with you so you smell nice...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

There is no excuse for AXE. Period.

:)

so like are you being funny or are you serious. why not carry a can of AXE?
your at a show y ou get all hot and sweaty no time to shower before you meet and greet at your table to sign audographs pose for pictures, etc. spraying some AXE or TAG on is a great way to cover the smell untill you can clean up.

I think those that are commenting all agree you need to take care of yourself and your clothes!

sam
augiemagic
View Profile
Regular user
Overland Park, KS
162 Posts

Profile of augiemagic
I don't disagree about bodyspray/cologne in general, just... AXE is nasty. All the subtlety of roadkill. Mind you, this is just one guys opinion. One guy who is blessed/cursed with an outstanding olfactory organ.

Also, many people associate AXE with fraternity culture, usually in a negative light.

So its not the principle with which I disagree, just the execution. My usual standbys are Curve, Unforgivable, or Lucky, depending on weather, time of day, etc. As each of us has our own body chemistry, different scents will work differently for different people.

Another thing is that many sprays, when sprayed directly on clothing, will degrade the fabric and dye, leaving them more prone to fading.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
AXE is a terrible product, smells like a chemical pesticide, and is only suitable for people who think ketchup is a vegetable and that GLADE really does smell like a Mountain spring...

Of course that's just my opinion Smile
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Part of being a Professional is dressing for the gig

My market is corporate & I dress appropriate for that gig on that day and I spend money to look the part

I also have a very successful outdoor show for festivals & I dress appropriate for that gig on that day
with clothes to match!

same goes for private events in Peoples Houses 40th Birthdays etc.. to College events & School Ballsetc

I dress different for each event but its clean & fashionable & suits the gig....

I really at times don't like performers wearing the same suit for every gig regardless and
it at times gives us a bad name, Go to a gym -eat healthy- keep fit and your energy level
for shows is huge....... You owe people who hire you that much..........
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Dang a lot of you don't like AXE that's fine It was only a suggerstion. oddly enough I like TAG better and as for what AXE is associated how would my clients know hwat I am putting on I NEVER let them see me spray myself down.

also the Idea is I use this right after performing my 90 minute illusion show and need to get to the sales table where there is a long line of people to meet me. I grab a qucik drink change my shirt to a matching shirt that I have been wearing in the show and a quick sprtz of TAG and out I go to meet the fans.

it works for me:)

sam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Do You Take Care Of Your Image? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL