We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Wow, just saw Joe Monti's Thumb Tie (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
jmdibrita
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of jmdibrita
Are you limited to Joe Monti's presentation. Can You have your hands penetrate a chair, ring, etc; as you can with other thumb ties or does his have to be done strictly as an escape routine?

John
jmdibrita
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of jmdibrita
Are you limited to Joe Monti's presentation. Can You have your hands penetrate a chair, ring, etc; as you can with other thumb ties or does his have to be done strictly as an escape routine?

John
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2278 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
I have considered a thumbtie-like escape/ penetration employing four fingers of each hand, using thise inexpensive woven tubular finger traps/ cuffs made in Japan; or at least they were, I think they are still available. Thumbs could be tied as well, making it a double release. patter about being placed in finger cuffs as a prank when you were a kid. Adifferent and visual twist on the effect. One I have never actually carried to reality. Has any one else beat me to it? I did mention it on the Shadow Digest a few years ago with a possible method as well.

Kotah
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2010-07-05 11:16, Harry Murphy wrote:
Joe's method is different than Ryan (used soft rope) and Novak's (used handcuffs) but the routine is pretty much spot on (especially to Novak's).

Joe has made a nice piece with this.

You're right, it's not the same as Ryan's handling, although is could be done with zip ties.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thumb Cuffs is a funny and fun routine, with the cuffs vanishing at the end. The only problem with them is you must know what you are doing. The Cuffs are not gimmicked in any way, they are real and if not performed properly, you will not be able to get out of them. Is it a real escape, well if you cannot get out of them, then I guess something is real about them.

They are so real, it is best to have a couple pair of exta keys with you at all times.

You prove this by opening the routine by locking a spectator in them and let him attempt to get out of them.

Thumb Cuffs are not as effective tring to do all the things like penetrations and such due to the metal cuffs.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You should see Ricky Jay do his thumb cuff routine.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Quote:
On 2010-07-10 21:42, wmhegbli wrote:
Thumb Cuffs is a funny and fun routine, with the cuffs vanishing at the end. The only problem with them is you must know what you are doing. The Cuffs are not gimmicked in any way, they are real and if not performed properly, you will not be able to get out of them. Is it a real escape, well if you cannot get out of them, then I guess something is real about them.

They are so real, it is best to have a couple pair of exta keys with you at all times.

Haha. Learned that the hard way.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
safuto
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of safuto
I love this topic because The Thumb Tie routine has been a part of my act for more than 30 years. So many thanks for all your good words!!!

Its not so much of an escape but more of a Puzzle when I do it. When I first started using Zip Ties (approx 25 years ago) I never saw it done that way.For about 5 years I tried every version I could find (twist ties, pipe cleaners, tape, rope, etc)
My influence of the assistants participating came from Tony Curtis in the Great Movie Houdini (when he was put in the metal Strait jacket). Nowhere else.

I didn't want to "LOCK" into hoops, chairs or penetrate swords with my tied thumbs. Didn't fit my style. I believe that most people know about zip ties(cable ties). After 25 years and thousands of performances of the thumb tie I can tell you that I've experienced too much zip/cable tie knowledge Smile

My routine is now available because I want to show that it is and always has been a big stage effect for me and for anyone willing to practice! It plays stronger than my strait jacket routine and.......it's different and unique to a lay audience.
Please check out http://www.thumbtie.com for a video clip, etc.
Again thank you all for your kind words. Joe Monti & Family

Click here to view attached image.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I remember that routine from Masters of Illusion, was a great performance. Couldn't resist, had to buy one.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
LVMagicAL
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of LVMagicAL
Really looking forward to receiving the Thumbtie real soon. Looks like it packs small and plays to any size audience.
Navy
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Navy
I received the Joe Monti's DVD with four thumb ties. I love the routine. Now I need to make it my own routine. A wonderful parlor or stage routine.....Great Job Joe. My wife is a nurse and she has a ton of bandage shears. I found that to be safer to use than scissors fearing that I would possibly poke the spectators and open myself to a lawsuit. It really is a matter of what floats your boat and what works for you.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2010-07-07 08:38, mandarin wrote:
I have never "gotten" the thumb tie effect- perhaps it just seems too easy to get out. Then again, I have never tried on a pair of thumb cuffs either. Does this really go over as a real "escape"?

Jim

Speed is what makes a thumb tie effective. If the hands are in full view, objects must pass between the hands as if the tie wasn't there. If the hands are covered, there must be economy of motion, so that it's obvious that the performer didn't merely wiggle back into them. It stuns people when performed, properly.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1815 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
There are many great points made in this thread about the thumb tie, some of which could be the same or similar to a classic wrist tie.

In either the thumb tie or the wrist tie, the "big picture" for this effect, I think, is the presence, or specifically the REACTIONS OF THE ONSTAGE AUDIENCE ASSISTANTS TO THE QUICK "IN AND" OUT OF THE PERFORMER. So, Alan Munro is right, it's about speed, timing and silky smoothness of presentation.

Jay Marshall's Jaspernese Thumb Tie is a classic of magic, in my opinion, BUT.....looking at the link to Joe Monti's effect, the ending where the assistants are tied, looks FABULOUS to me...I have never seen this "twist" on either a thumb or wrist tie and I love it.

I'm going to buy the trick just for that ending, and anything else is gravy.

Thank you Pete Biro for the link!
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I bought this and it is a great routine, plus so easy to do impromptu. I've already come up with about 4 different routines depending oh where and how I'm playing it. It sells very easily, and you leave them with the cable tie for a keepsake. I've had folks scratching their heads for days over this one, very simple, and easy to modify the routine to fit your needs.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
I am just wondering with routine whether the two people that get tied together at the end of the routine see how they are tied together or are they actually surprised as well.

One more thing, what do you do to get the two people out of the thumb tie at the end?

thanks
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
So you think the spectators being tied are 'stooges' and a part of the act, is that correct?

Why do anything to get their thumbs untied? Let them go home together. Makes for a better effect. LOL Smile
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Not stooges but privy to how the effect is done...

I was thinking about doing it at weddings, so they will be going home together anyway LoL
Click here
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Anyone?
Click here
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
Monti's thumb tie is great fun.

I enjoyed the video AND WILL take it to the real world soon. I may experiment with the thumbs tied behind the back.
Frank
dannsirs
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of dannsirs
Which is best ?
Kenton's Black tie
Joe monti's
Poor Boy's
Keep on Entertaining

Mark James
dannsirs@yahoo.com
http://www.UltimateDanceZone.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Wow, just saw Joe Monti's Thumb Tie (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL