We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Old Chestnut - Professor's Nightmare - Dimensions please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mr. Bertoneski
Please go to the other forum that you love so much, because we have had enough of you thumbing your nose at us.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
bertoneski
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of bertoneski
Shan't yah boo sucks to you! I like your forum so much better!
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
So, if you've been doing restaurant magic for 15 years, I am surprised you never learned the "old chestnut" PN.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Ian
You old sly dog you, it took me a couple minutes to figure out how you knew this mystery man did restaurants for 15 years. I have to hand it to you my friend, you did some good detective work there. He is a joke, and you are a hoot.
bertoneski
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of bertoneski
Sorry where does it say I did restaurant work for 15 years?
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-07-08 13:19, bertoneski wrote:
Sorry where does it say I did restaurant work for 15 years?

Sorry, you were commenting about someone else in another post. He said he did restaurant work 15 years ago. I thought it was you. You were just asking, and quoted the other guy. My mistake.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2316 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
The term 'Old Chestnut' has a negative connotation. My view of the PN would be the term ' Classic'. It is an effect which has endured, and will continue to evolve. The 'magic' of this effect does not lie in its method as much as in the actual performance. Well'sold' it becomes a classic mystery rather than a puzzle.

Just my opinion voiced.

Kotah
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
264 Posts

Profile of murf
Ian, don't you think you're coming down a little hard on the DVD authors? I'd think that most lecturers would assume that as soon as they've opened their hand and revealed the secret, the student has all the information he needs to make up a set of ropes. Granted, the ropes that Michael Finney uses are so long that, at least on the DVD I just watched, his middle rope is hardly ever all in the picture, let alone his long one --- but it's still pretty obvious that his ropes are roughly one foot, four feet, and seven feet long. And the very fact that his are so long emphasizes the point that there [i]is[/] no single correct answer to the question "How long are the ropes?"

A discussion of the lengths used by various performers, and their reasons for choosing those lengths, might be interesting. But someone would be sure to take offense at the suggestion....

Murf

Murf
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I use about fifteen feet of rope in my Mongolian Pop-Knot, making the long rope about nine feet long.

The long rope plays much bigger on a large stage, and I have performed this in front of as many as eight thousand people.

The illusion of the stretching is much more amazing and convincing when done with long ropes.

Here is my routine:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5135678836890976103#
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-07-08 14:43, murf wrote:
Ian, don't you think you're coming down a little hard on the DVD authors? I'd think that most lecturers would assume that as soon as they've opened their hand and revealed the secret, the student has all the information he needs to make up a set of ropes. Granted, the ropes that Michael Finney uses are so long that, at least on the DVD I just watched, his middle rope is hardly ever all in the picture, let alone his long one --- but it's still pretty obvious that his ropes are roughly one foot, four feet, and seven feet long. And the very fact that his are so long emphasizes the point that there [i]is[/] no single correct answer to the question "How long are the ropes?"

A discussion of the lengths used by various performers, and their reasons for choosing those lengths, might be interesting. But someone would be sure to take offense at the suggestion....

Murf

Murf

Any lecturer, DVD author who elects to include a routine has to assume that the viewer may not have all of the information. DVD space is cheap and going the extra mile makes for a classy act. It's equivalent to a card worker saying, "do a double lift" or "your favorite force" or "vanish the silk in your favorite method".
Obviously, had the lengths been included in his DVD, this thread would be moot.
Years ago, instructions said "do an elmsley" or a "buckle" and you needed a reference book. Emerson and West included all sleights necessary to do their effects.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Like a cookbook recipe that begins, "Make a roux."

Quite useful and to-the-point, but only to those who already know.

Woland
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
264 Posts

Profile of murf
[quote=magicians]Any lecturer, DVD author who elects to include a routine has to assume that the viewer may not have all of the information.[/quote]

I think you missed my point: opening your hand and revealing the linked ropes gives the viewer all the information he could possibly need. The rest is all about presentation (and the false count!). It's nothing at all like mentioning a double lift, a force, or a vanish. Talking about the exact length that the particular performer happens to use would be considered by many to be artificially padding the length of the DVD in an attempt to make it appear to contain more content that it really does. At least that's the way I see it. Other opinions may vary.

Murf
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
What is the ideal length for stage, parlor, or walk around? They all have to be different don't they. Daryl's rope is much longer than Richard Sanders rope, but not as long as Wit Haydn's rope. Mine is much different than Murf's (I think), but mine is very close to Ian's "dances with ropes". You can't deviate length very much if you do "fiber optics" because much of it is done with just two pieces of rope. Hold on I'm going to publish a DVD on the optimum lengths for PN. LOL
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
One must consider the audience. There is a "warrant" that the reader of viewer is up to speed and therefore need not have every part of an effect. I personally would rather be accused of padding than to leave someone wanting.
In actuality, my DVD's are rather concise, as they are one-subject explanations. There is always room for more explanation or overkill. Its only padding if the information is not integral to the effect.
Magic1man
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Magic1man
No need to pull out your tape measure! Just cut your short section and long section to a length that looks about right to you and then put those two pieces in the secret condition that makes them appear the same size. This gives you the size of the middle length . Start a little long at first and work with the rope, you can always trim them down if you feel they are too long!
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of rklew64
There is always someone who allows the driver who drove on the shoulder cutting everyone at the merge and let's them pass. Won't be the last time of course.
Sometimes it is easier to be an enabler than expecting honor and integrity from others. oh well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Old Chestnut - Professor's Nightmare - Dimensions please (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL