The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Center tear question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of David Alexander
Quote:
On 2010-07-03 10:25, mormonyoyoman wrote:
The "problem" with the Baker tear (if problem it be), is that it isn't a read-as-you-go tear (this is where, I believe, Lee Earle's version improves on Baker's. Baker's CT almost is a tear-as-you-go; it's actually a go-stop-put-it-in-the-spectator's-hands-go-peek move. Quite ingenious, and disarming for the volunteer.

Actually, if you read the original, there is no "problem" as described because there is no "put-it-in-the-spectator's-hands" in the Baker tear. It's all done in the performer's hands and if one wants to adapt it as a read-while-tearing it is easily done. Baker just adds a bit of misdirection before the read happens.
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

One other observation on burning the torn pieces - this was done in a time when smoking was common and ash trays were part of every table in most restaurants...as were matches. Now, you'd almost have to bring your own ash tray or use a saucer which seems a bit inelegant if you wanted to do the burning.

I stopped doing the burning decades ago when I found that it tended to slow things down and required fiddling with the pieces to make sure they all burned, etc.

When Docc Hilford was doing fairs and using the CT he disposed of the torn pieces in a long necked vase or bottle.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
If you have a small bowl (i mean who doesn't carry a small, battered old brass bowl with them to keep their iphone in these days?) - have a couple of pre torn up billets already in there...

not only do you look a little "busy", but after you've dumped the freshly torn bits in there, who in their right mind wants to go through ALL the bits, open them, and then join them all up, just to prove something?

apart from "you know who" obviously...*joke*
I've asked to be banned
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
Quote:
On 2010-07-03 20:30, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
Eshla,

I never thought about that...

Great idea!

I only thought of shredding the billet to pieces, putting the pieces in some small neck bottle, or simply pocketing the torn pieces... but never to eat them!

Fantastic!

You've no idea how happy this comment made me. Thanks LotH and MagicFreak Smile

Tom
xx
I come from the future to culture you poor sods with fire.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2010-07-05 09:53, David Alexander wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-03 10:25, mormonyoyoman wrote:
The "problem" with the Baker tear (if problem it be), is that it isn't a read-as-you-go tear (this is where, I believe, Lee Earle's version improves on Baker's. Baker's CT almost is a tear-as-you-go; it's actually a go-stop-put-it-in-the-spectator's-hands-go-peek move. Quite ingenious, and disarming for the volunteer.

Actually, if you read the original, there is no "problem" as described because there is no "put-it-in-the-spectator's-hands" in the Baker tear. It's all done in the performer's hands and if one wants to adapt it as a read-while-tearing it is easily done. Baker just adds a bit of misdirection before the read happens.

David is right. With just some twist, you can adapt it to your needs.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-07-05 13:29, Eshla wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-03 20:30, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
Eshla,

I never thought about that...

Great idea!

I only thought of shredding the billet to pieces, putting the pieces in some small neck bottle, or simply pocketing the torn pieces... but never to eat them!

Fantastic!

You've no idea how happy this comment made me. Thanks LotH and MagicFreak Smile

Tom
xx

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I said what I did mainly because I thought LOTH was trying to crack another if his sarcastic jokes.. Reread his post. Smile

it is a good idea though.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-07-05 16:45, magicFreak2 wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong...

magicFreak2,

You are wrong!

Consider yourself corrected!

And for the record, you posted your comment to Eshla BEFORE my post.

So clearly you could not be following my attempt of "cracking a joke", as you said... because YOU went first!
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-07-05 18:06, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
Quote:

magicFreak2,

You are wrong!

So clearly you could not be following my attempt of "cracking a joke", as you said... because YOU went first!

Yay! LOTH _wasn't_ making fun of someone for once!

Glad to hear I was wrong.
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
Smile
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-07-05 18:37, magicFreak2 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-05 18:06, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
Quote:

magicFreak2,

You are wrong!

Yay! LOTH _wasn't_ making fun of someone for once!

Glad to hear I was wrong.

magicFreak2,

I would happily make fun of you...

But you do a better job at that on your own! Smile

To Eshla -

I know of a Mystery Performer who ate the torn pieces of paper in order to do his divination.

I'm sure some here know WHO HE WAS... Smile
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
I've often used the "I'll need you to swallow these" line as I hand the torn pieces to a spectator."actually, just chewing on them will do. Helps focus the mind." Is a favorite follow up.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Has anyone tried tearing the spectator up?
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
Well now you're just being silly. Smile
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Its good therapy though...spleen readings
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-07-05 19:59, mindpunisher wrote:
Its good therapy though...spleen readings

ROFL!
Best joke of the day!
eywi
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of eywi
I always use Osterlind's one of his dvd, maybe try that one!!!
David Alexander
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-07-02 13:45, magicFreak2 wrote:
How on earth do you unfold it?

Everytime, I end holding the center, using it half way unfolded, and I can never get the second (and crucial) fold open, even if I have the best misdirection, I still need to use two hands, which destroys the cleanses of the effect.

Both the umbrella move as Bob suggested and experiment with different paper. That should solve your problem.
Shizentai
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Shizentai
This brings me to another question... In these days of instant access tears, billet peeks and switchcraft (which are all amazing, IMHO), who does still do the classic center tear ?

I for one still do it. And I still burn the pieces. I do believe it gives a certain mood to proceedings.
magic maniac
View Profile
Special user
516 Posts

Profile of magic maniac
The first peek I learned was the Acidus peek, which has served me well over the years, but I wasn't comfortable with the fact that people expected the business card afterwards as a souvenir (which could expose the method). I thought about tearing the card after the peak, but didn't like the idea of tearing my, or any other persons business card.

I've now taken the time to perfect the PCT, and find great satisfaction on performing with it regularly.
godot
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of godot
I was doing a free show today at the beach and thought I would make a grand jesture of letting the sea take the tear, shame the wind took the centre tear as well leaving a rather embarressed Godot. Ended up blaming the airshow for my miss.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Center tear question (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL