The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » ANOTHER 10-13 year old question! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
So I've been adapting my show for 10-13 year old only groups and I'm feeling really good about most it, but I want to get some opinions about a couple of routines.

Now, before I mention the routines I want to point out that I know it's not the routine it's the performer. I accept that that's basically true, but I think everyone would agree that there are guide lines and that not many groups of only 11 and 13 year olds would enjoy a coloring book routine. Also, I always recommend a birthday magic class for 8 year olds and up, but just in case.

What you all think of:
-Terry Herbert's rising wand routine
-Silly Billy Wand, the standard one wand routine
-jumbo inflatable wand, having the kid hit me in the face
-an obviously silly linking rings routine (calling them giant elephant wedding rings, magician in trouble, et cetera)
-are there any standard kids shows principles that either don't work, or need to be adapted to this age group?

I would really appreciate any feedback.
Thank You
Courtney Kolb
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
For that age group you have to hit them between the eyes and hit them hard. You MUST fool them.

One thing about the magic coloring book, I do it for that age but I do it as a monte routine and I decide who wins and who doesn't. It's a winner!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Hi Courtney,

This is one of my favorite age groups. I try to amaze and I avoid anything that seems kiddy. I'll even skip some Magic I'd feel fine about performing for adults (like juggling bits or some of my Rope Magic or Silk Magic) because they might think it was for kids.

They can be a handful. If the group# is not over 15 or so I push the Close-Up even if I have to play it big for the whole group at once. At that age they are very interested in how the group likes the Magic. Some will be more mature than others so be prepared to set limits in a humorous way. Be aware of the group dynamic and give proper respect and attention to the Alphas early and use your position to draw less popular kids into the action as you go.

Some of my favorites are:
Ninja Rings
Daryl's Amazing Acrobatic Knot
Rope and Ring and Rope
Contact Juggling
Audience involved Aronson Stack work
Card Flourishes and Jugglery
In-hand Triumph
Finger Ring and String
Gypsy Thread
Warp II
Tokyo Penetration
Crazy Mans Hand Cuffs, StarGazer and a Rubber Band Ladder Effect (I don't know the name).
A Couple of my own Card effects that involve the audience
Mental Magic will go over very well. It can be funny or convincing but it can not be obvious or lame.

Some of these play fairly big. While I realize we have different skill sets, from what I saw of your show you've got the skills if you just choose the right material. Do something that establishes skill in an offhand way early.

Good Luck,

_ Mary Mowder
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Get a dvd or book specifically for this age group. I got Pat Fallon's "Magic for older children" from Practical Magic. This illustrates the principles with a show and an interview. It's all good stuff. http://www.practical-magic.com/index.php......temid=26

An alternative is
"No Fail Kids' Show Magic - Volume 2 - Sean Taylor http://www.practical-magic.com/index.php......temid=26

Volume 2 - Magic for Older Kids
In this volume, Sean performs a series of tricks for a group of kids between 10 and 12 years old. He then details the methods and his thinking behind working for this tricky age group. The effects are fun and direct but allow the kids to feel more like young adults. The bonus segments contain some very solid advice on how to set up, prepare and think more deeply about your magic. Playing time 75 minutes.

Introduction
The Show

Explanations
1. The Rope with 6 Ends and Pom Pom Stick
2. The Magic Lesson
3. The Sponge Balls
4. Cards Across
5. Blendacious

Bonus Segments
What is Funny?
Handling Assistants
Set Up and Preparation
Make It Magical
Make It Special"

I use your ideas with YOUNGER children. Older one's need a relevant story and more magic, less sillyness.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Mary had some good suggestions. Go with what you have but, again, make it magical. Remember something, when Moses parted the Red Sea he felt a tug on his robe and when he looked down he saw a ten year old boy. The boy looked at Moses and said "I know how you did that"....good luck!
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Hi Mary,
Thanks. I like the idea of do more close up stuff; that allows for some really spectacular stuff and a lot of personal interaction with everyone.

I definitely understand about establishing skill quickly. I like to open up straight magic shows for any age with cards from the mouth, just because it's quick and surprising. My thought was to switch the coloring book (my normal opener) with fiber optic, which seems to get good reactions from all age groups.

I was thinking of some mind reading and some "bizarre-light," ie. bizarre magick with spooky/scary story themes, but not TOO spooky or scary.

themagiciansapprentice
I'll put Sean Taylor's DVD on my list, thanks.

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
It's only been a few minutes since my last post. ...but I've been thinking. Smile

I don't have it written out yet (obviously), but based on Mary's post, which I really like, I'm not going to adapt my kids show to this age group, but rather write a new show for this age group that may or may not include a couple routines from my kids show.

That's actually pretty exciting, because this may let me do several routines that I really like, but don't get to do very often (since a show can only go so long). I just finished a week long magic class for 9-13 year olds and they were a really great group, so I'm looking forward to working with more kids this age.

Also, I'd still love feedback on judging for appropriateness, but my rule of thumb will be: if I'm not sure if it may seem to young, just don't do it.

seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2010-07-03 00:38, MagicSanta wrote:
Mary had some good suggestions. Go with what you have but, again, make it magical. Remember something, when Moses parted the Red Sea he felt a tug on his robe and when he looked down he saw a ten year old boy. The boy looked at Moses and said "I know how you did that"....good luck!

LMAO!!

Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Fiber Optics sounds great! Perhaps to Music but don't let the music rush you, slow is better.
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
James Munton has a dvd on teaching a birthday party magic class for kids. Something along these lines might work very well for this age group.

If you search here you will find this dvd discussed. Here is the link for the product itself...

http://www.magicsells.com/Magic_Class_DVD.html
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2010-07-03 01:16, mota wrote:
James Munton has a dvd on teaching a birthday party magic class for kids. Something along these lines might work very well for this age group.

If you search here you will find this dvd discussed. Here is the link for the product itself...

http://www.magicsells.com/Magic_Class_DVD.html

I absolutely LOVE James Munton's DVD.
That's the reason that I usually recommend classes for this age group, because if the class is based on Munton's class then it is awesome. I also used the DVD as the inspiration for the week long magic camp that I just did.

Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I forgot to mention, this group wants to examine things when offered. Unlike adults who might be O.K. with a cursory examination by 1 or 2 people, most of this group will check it out which will take time.

- Mary Mowder
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of noland
You asked specifically about the following items for presentation to a group of kids, ages 10-13:
-Terry Herbert's rising wand routine
-Silly Billy Wand, the standard one wand routine
-jumbo inflatable wand, having the kid hit me in the face
-an obviously silly linking rings routine (calling them giant elephant wedding rings, magician in trouble, et cetera)

Most of these, except for the linking rings, are completely inappropriate for this age group. The items named above are hilarious for ages 4-7, but ages 10-13 will be totally turned off by these gags because the kids will feel like they are being treated like very young kids (and they'd be right). For this age group, I use routines that involve more sleight of hand and principles that would fool adults. So for example, more visual, manipulative magic, like linking rings, coins, billiard balls, and rope routines can be used.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mary and Santa have hit the nail right on the head. Start with your most impressive magic. Fiber Optics is a great trick for this age group. I don't know anything about most of the DVD's recommended here, but you can't go wrong with James Munton's DVD. A lot of the other advise given here tells you to talks down to the kids, and if you take that aprach they will walk away from you. My God if you try to do sponge balls for 10 to 13 year old kids they will laugh in your face. The toughest audience that I have ever performed for is cub scouts, who are 10 to 13 years old boys, and they will tolerate no little kiddie tricks. Leave your Wolf, Axtell, and Barry Mitchell tricks at home please.

Courtney
You like to do card tricks, and this would be a good age group for that kind of magic.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Ok, our routines for this age group (tried and tested over a lot of years in UK and Kuwait)include

Baby card
Needle through balloon (story line on the Fallon dvd)
Tricky bottles (story line on the Fallon dvd)
Berellium linking rings
card force
cups and balls (with final loads appropriate to their age group)
sword through neck (David Ginn)
arm chopper (David Ginn)
magicians force using masks (David Ginn)
hand-cuff escape
strait-jacket escape / against the clock or something unfortunate happens (David Ginn)
close-up magic using palmo / hankball (Duane Laflin)
Head over

But definitely no magic wands / silly words etc. The patter / additional props has to be funny not silly.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3198 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Great list.
Would tell me, what is the "Berellium linking rings"
I'm very intrigued by the idea of a magicians force using masks, it sounds similar to one of Docc's routines in E'voque. Which Ginn book is that from?

Quote:
But definitely no magic wands / silly words etc. The patter / additional props has to be funny not silly.

Gotcha, that makes sense.
thanks.

keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
My only advice for this age group is show no signs of fear and take no c**p!

I'm wasn't keen on Pat Fallon's "Magic for older children". I didn't think he really connected with the audience.

Mark
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Themagiciansapprentice
You have made some wise choices on your second list.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Seadog, also remember you are in an area where the kids are very hip to what is going on and a bit ahead of themselves. Basically perform as if they were adults but with topical references.
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

The beryllium copper linking rings are a set of three, made from waste material from Harrier jump-jet engines . They are also called Newman linking rings and first appeared from 1981 in the UK.

As they are flat and wider than the normal chrome one's different moves are possible than with ninja rings etc.

Mine cost £40 (with the Newman book) second hand from Castle Magic in York, UK. You could also try Taurus Magic in Blackpool (run by Derek Lever.) It took me three years to find mine but they go over really well with this age-group as the hairline gap is almost undetectable due to the springy nature of the beryllium copper.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » ANOTHER 10-13 year old question! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL