The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » ANOTHER 10-13 year old question! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I have never performed linking rings, but your description got me interested in a copper set. Is there a demo of someone using these rings. What exactly can you do with copper rings that you can't do with ninja rings.

I perfer to do tricks that others magicians don't like to do.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
This age group is a breeze to entertain.
Start fast to get their respect. Do something that is fast and a real fooler. Once you have their respect, it is easy to get them to go along with you.
Avoid wands completely. No silly hats, clunky production boxes, etc.
What works for me are thumb tip effects, card effects such as cards across, mentalism (a big hit) and anything with a scientific twist. I live doing crazy science experiments for this age group, because they have a lively curiosity.
They are mini-adults. Give them your adult routine with the over eighteen gags left out.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Ol' Seadog has a 50/50 chance. Either the audience will be stoned kids who will snap their fingers in appreciation and tell him he's groovey or he'll get kids who will bus' a cap off in his arse then sell his props on Telegraph.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2010-07-03 18:11, TonyB2009 wrote:
and anything with a scientific twist. I live doing crazy science experiments for this age group, because they have a lively curiosity.

Tony

I've thought about adding some of this kind of stuff to my show. Is there any books or DVDs you'd recommend.

Thanks

Mark
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
1589 Posts

Profile of Futureal
What you all think of:
-Terry Herbert's rising wand routine

No.

-Silly Billy Wand, the standard one wand routine

No.

-jumbo inflatable wand, having the kid hit me in the face

No.

-an obviously silly linking rings routine (calling them giant elephant wedding
rings, magician in trouble, et cetera)

No. A clever, magical linking ring routine? Yes.

-are there any standard kids shows principles that either don't work, or need to be adapted to this age group?

Don't lean on standard kids show principles - do magic that will impress and fool them.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13396 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2010-07-04 02:02, keeblem wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-03 18:11, TonyB2009 wrote:
and anything with a scientific twist. I live doing crazy science experiments for this age group, because they have a lively curiosity.

Tony

I've thought about adding some of this kind of stuff to my show. Is there any books or DVDs you'd recommend.

Thanks

Mark

Mark,
Check out the Steve Spangler Science website and see what they have you might be able to turn into a magic trick.

An obvious choice is hydrophobic sand. How about slush poweder ?
Another might be bubble magic.

There's a lot (there and other places)to check out.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
[quote]On 2010-07-04 02:02, keeblem wrote:
Quote:
Tony

Thanks

Mark

I have heard that some English lecturer has a set of notes on doing science stuff for kids, but I don't know who he is, and have not seen the lecture notes. If anyone knows, I would be very interested.

I worked alongside a Mad Science franchisee for a few weeks. As my primary degree is in physics I had no difficulty seeing what he was doing and modifying it to suit myself. I then remembered the sort of stuff I messed around with as a kid, and put together the experiments I like, and the kids can do for themselves at home (except for walking on glass - I tell them not to try that!)

At some point I am interested in putting together a full party on simple science and publishing an e-book on it for fellow entertainers. If that happens I will let you know. Tony.
Magic Arty
View Profile
Elite user
metro Atlanta
443 Posts

Profile of Magic Arty
My advice would be to go talk to some middle school aged kids and find out wha they think about and talk about. Don't even think of doing something magically cliche and be at least two steps ahead of them. Your first list shows that you are unfamiliar with this age group, which suggest the best thing you could ad to an act for this age would be a working familiar knowledge of this audience, before you start picking out tricks.
atsmagic
Arthur Atsma

Feeling real happy now!
Magic Arty
View Profile
Elite user
metro Atlanta
443 Posts

Profile of Magic Arty
On a side note, though this age has the ability to rip apart an act faster and harder than most audiences, I find them to be one of the funnest groups to entertain. Good luck with your show, when you get it down and hit success with it, you will have found a very savvy audience to perform for, that not to many family entertainers want to go to.
atsmagic
Arthur Atsma

Feeling real happy now!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » ANOTHER 10-13 year old question! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL