The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Attracting and entertaining through sound (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gnosis
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of gnosis
We all know that one of the things that might attract the attention of passers by and entice them to take a closer look is sound. Interesting sounds might also make the show more entertaining, and even help to set the mood or create an atmosphere.

Some examples:

- the sound of coins dropping in to a cup or jingled in the hand
- the sound of a wand striking the cups or the table
- the sound of the performer speaking and of the audience laughing
- music played on your sound system

What are some other sounds that could be used to draw attention to and enhance your show?

Plenty of tricks are visually interesting, but it seems not so many make interesting sounds. Am I wrong about this? What tricks might provide a treat for the ears and compliment the visual aspects of a routine?

How about gizmos like noisemakers, horns and whatnot? How do those play on the street? Do any of you use these with success?

Any other ideas to make the show more pleasing to the ear and attract attention?
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Linking Rings.

Ring Grinder.

Amplified card bridge.
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Anything to get the crowd to shout or clap in unison.

I used to carry the Acme Siren. Not too loud, yet a unique sound.

You need to be aware of repetitive sounds annoying other performers or vendors in your immediate area. When I did the clown act, I carried lots of noisemakers, especially in parades. Giant cowbell, a claxon, a bicycle horn, ratchet, various whistles, etc.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I usually begin with my concertina. I play a little tune and have some comedy with it. It leads right into the show. It's got an old fashioned feel to it also, which I think generally fits with busking.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Distinct, 'ear catching', attention grabbing sounds...

Makes me wonder how you might work a shotgun into your routine, just to get that 'racking a shell in' sound. Nothing like it. Primal.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2010-07-04 05:55, writeall wrote:
Distinct, 'ear catching', attention grabbing sounds...

Makes me wonder how you might work a shotgun into your routine, just to get that 'racking a shell in' sound. Nothing like it. Primal.

Welcome aboard Wrietall, great to see someone who has a sense of humour that makes me actuall laugh out loud. In fact I just woke my wife up and it's 5 AM, oboy I'm in it now, but this [post was worth it.

Paddy
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
Ojasa
View Profile
New user
U.S.
77 Posts

Profile of Ojasa
While not a shotgun, Those magnetic rattlesnake eggs have a very distinctive sound almost like a lazer gun that always turns a head.... ....
that magic is an art, and an art worth your learning. The question is rather, whether you be capable of learning it? Magic is somewhat like poetry, men are to be born so: I mean, with inclinations to it, though both may be heightened by discourse and prac
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Seriously, I think it's a wonderful idea. I used to underrate color because I have a testosterone based biology. It's true though, women appreciate actual colors and beauty in an act. Me? I like logical conundrums, screw the prettification. So the thread got me thinking about how much I like the sound of some voices and how others grate. There's a lot to be said for a James Earl Jones bass thrumming voice. Is it kosher to have music?

And while we are visiting the sensorium, what about smells? I have to say, my head does an automatic sideways toward the smell of cooking bar-b-que ribs.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Chatter ring has washers that revolve around a circle of metal
whistle,
vuvuzela horn - currently being used at world-wide Football competition in South Africa. When there are hundreds/thousands of them they sound like a constant buzzing of bees during the football games.
Balloons that go bang! while doing balloon twisting.

High pitched noises carry further. I tested by dropping on concrete etc a number of types of coins to find out which ones are noisest, highest pitch. Some of the award disks for such things as roller skating, and as found at cheap goods stores, make a sound when dropped onto the pavement.
The presentation makes the magic.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Babies dropped head first onto the pavement work well and they make a hell of a noise !

Ken.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Ken, that brought a "hahahaha" from me!!
The presentation makes the magic.
gnosis
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of gnosis
The sound of dice shaken and rolled.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Attracting and entertaining through sound (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL