The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Intro to bird harnesses? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Hi,

A question for those experienced bird workers. We've had pet birds for a long time and I've on and off toyed with the idea of getting them "into the act". I just acquired a production box that has a load chamber big enough to hold our cockatiel if he were quiet.

I know *nothing* about harnesses or holders. The only harness I've ever used was a leash-harness for our big Macaw when I take him for walks. What would be good reading for me to learn about them? Are there harnesses designed to keep the bird quiet and in darkness until released? I obviously don't want to do anything that is unsafe for him.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I do not think your Cockatiel would be a good bird for using with body loads. Most of the dove bags do not cover the birds head, thus they can breath and see. Hard billed birds are not the best for magic. They can peck through you and almost anything.

Most birds are quiet in darkness, is yours. If so, consider a Dove Pan to use with your bird.

The proper equipment for body loads are Dove bag, Dove pocket to hold the bird in bag.

You can consider the Chavez Encyclopedia of Dove Magic for a book. Will give you some basic knowledge.

Their is one Dove bag that covers the head of a bird and that is the Johnny Thompson model. It can be purchased from Nielsen Magic, see his web site.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
A dove pan! Wow, I can't believe I'd forgotten that old standard. I think I'll poke around for one! Thanks!
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Cyberqat, you might consider props like the plexiglass drawer box too! Speaking of Dove pan, I remember a time when I had many budgerigars and no doves. I had about 4 of them and there was a show which I used all four budgies with a dove pan. I'm still using the same pan to date! Check out Morrissey Magic. http://www.morrisseymagic.com/dp.htm#dp . They seem to have the most promising Pans. Though, Personally, I'm a fan of this version http://www.magicity.com/images/DovePan-9.jpg . The base is a thinner and the design of the load areas are more deceptive.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Thanks yeah, I like the tapered design better too, the Morissey's seem too bulky to me.

Im playing with the idea of introducing Sunny as a "Pheonix" by burning some yellow tissue paper "feathers" and having him come from their ashes. (He's a lutino.)

For those experienced with the prop.. is tissue paper the right thing to burn? Should I use flash paper and/or mix a sheet of flash in for a bigger effect?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Use whatever does not make the bottom of the pan hot after the reveal. Or, you could glue on some asbestos material that is sold for outdoor grills. Insulate the bottom of the load chamber. You don't want your bird to get hot feet.

Added note, make sure the air holes are large enough to provide air for the bird. I once used a prop (not a dove pan) that had to small a size holes and the birds came out gasping for air.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Intro to bird harnesses? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL