The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Doing Nyman's Dead Zone in the real world? Is carrying a toy gun a bad idea? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
I have a gig coming up and would like to try out my (slightly) modified version of Nyman's Dead Zone. I love love love the effect but I'm worried even a toy gun and knife on me might be a bad idea for a few reasons...

I've thought about doing it with large pieces of paper with drawings of a knife, gun, poison, etc. on it. Will this diminish the impact? Am I just being paranoid?

Any other tips from anyone doing this in real world gig situations?
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Fair question. I always thought the major and only flaw in Derrens The Heist was when the participants were asked to walk through the City of London with a replica pistol poking out of the waistband of their trousers.

However in private performing context I do not think a toy gun is likely to cause concern or offense, maybe that is just me. How does it add to your performance of the effect? Is it justified?

Ant
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
Toy Plastic Watergun, maybe a bright green, blue or yellow?
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2619 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Since I live in the US I can't comment on the risk/advisability of carrying a toy gun or knife in the UK. However, I regularly use a "real" gun (starter pistol, capable of firing only blanks) in my magic show (for either Jumbo Sidekick or Dove in Balloon) and even used one -- with the approval and under the supervision of the Secret Service -- at the White House (and may well be the only one given permission to do so).
Dick Christian
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Change the gun to a rope / garrot and don't worry.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Stephen Young
View Profile
Inner circle
Thought Illusions
3933 Posts

Profile of Stephen Young
I also have this problem. In Holland it's a no no.
So I bought a toy space gun.
Bright silver and orange. I make it a bit of light comedy.
The rubber knife is so wobbly it gets a laugh on it's own.

Steve
tincture
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of tincture
Why not go for the laugh instead and use a Hot Sauce Packet, a Straw, and a plastic fast food butter knife?
Natanel
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Natanel
Quote:
On 2010-07-04 12:27, tincture wrote:
Why not go for the laugh instead and use a Hot Sauce Packet, a Straw, and a plastic fast food butter knife?

Sounds fun but doesn't fit my performance character or the script. I do like the rope idea.

Anthony: (big fan by the way, still trying to get through Reality is Plastic when I have some spare time)A gun is a prop with so much inherent cache that the audience interest is piqued as soon as it's brought out. I think a realistic toy gun can add a lot of humor to the effect and help highlight the macabre undertones that give the effect it's gravity.

Part of my concern is the gig is at a warehouse the heart of Baltimore, where a skinny white kid carrying a gun could potentially be bad news. Since I've taken to doing gigs on the underground music circuit thsi sort of thing comes up a fair amount.
People who work for Theory 11: Do you want a young guy without a stupid gelled haircut or eurotrash jeans for your videos? PM me.
Amirá
View Profile
Inner circle
MentalismCenter.com
5131 Posts

Profile of Amirá
Quote:
On 2010-07-04 14:39, Natanel wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-04 12:27, tincture wrote:

Sounds fun but doesn't fit my performance character or the script.

What is your perfomance character?

if you ask question like this one, I can think that you don't have your character well define.

Mr. Nyman use a lot of movie themes for his effect. In my act I cant use movie themes because I don't watch movies very often.

2 weeks ago I watch a mentalism act where the mentalist uses 3 differents pieces of candy, and a intellgent presentation.

If a gun isn't for you ,just find the answer for yourself Nataniel
Pablo
Performer and Author

Mentalism Center: The best online space to get quality Mentalism
www.mentalismcenter.com

Arkanosophy: The Boutique for Mystery Performers
www.arkanosophy.com
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
I use A6 weapon cards in my Mask of Sanity routine. They are white on black iconic silouhette shapes of each weapon. It is immediately obvious what they are, they can be seen at 20 ft or more. They make for a strong reveal.

Iain Dunford suggested I do the same effect on stage with real weapons and do the reveal just before they stab, strangle or cave me in with a crowbar. Bearing in mind the participants have been hypnotised into a psychopathic condition I thought it might be pushing my luck.

I find combining the idea of a weapon with the intent of an effect, a decision or an impression means it plays big anyway. You do not need a real gun or a toy gun to make it more real. You just need context and emotion. Putting the idea of murder into your presentation can do that.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I use what looks like a real gun (replica) and a butterfly knife ( I enjoy opening it in front of the audience and they seem to like me doing this also), and for the pepper spray I use any old small aspirin box.
I never take them out 'off stage' and have never had a problem.
But yes, if in doubt comedic implements would not detract from the presentation and could even enhance it.
Determine what your intention is during this 10- 12 minute performance and... act.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Itys risky these days to carry guns. Few years back I bought my young nephew then aged 12 a toy bb gun. My sister phoned me few days later after the armed response team nearly caved in her door as someone reported him for carrying a gun...

Not like the old days of cowboys and indians..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Doing Nyman's Dead Zone in the real world? Is carrying a toy gun a bad idea? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL