The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Science tricks/experiments (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
I've posted this elsewhere, but thought it could warrent its own thread.

Are there any books/DVDs that any of you could recommend for Science type tricks/experiments.

A while back I did get in touch with the Mad Science people - but what they wanted for the franchise was ridiculous.

Thanks

Mark
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
The Mad Science franchise costs the earth. But if you watch one of their shows, with a bit of scientific knowledge, you can create at least half to three quarters of what they do with easily obtained household products. That's how I got started (but my primary degree is in physics, which probably helped).

When I was growing up there were plenty of books in the library of simple science experiments you could do at home. I presume those books still exist. If you read a few of them you will get plenty of ideas.

I have been thinking for some time of bringing out an e-book of science experiments for children's entertainers, and I might well do it soon. There is plenty of scope.

At the moment during my science show (which I love performing and which children seem to enjoy as much as a magic show) I do about six experiments, with very simple explanations, and we end by doing the coke and menthos experiment (check on youtube if you are not familiar with it) and we launch a rocket powered by vinegar and baking soda. It took me a while to get the format right, but now it works.

I have also found that this show is one that takes a minimum of marketing to get business, as parents love the educational content, while kids love the fun and the mess, so everyone is happy.
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore, MD
639 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
Here are 2 links I recommend. The first is a web store run by a guy who is very passionate about making science fun for kids. Just watch a few of his videos and you'll see the excitement he has. The second is for a performer who does a science show. He does a good job of creating a SHOW using science experiments. This is important. Just like a magic show, you need to include all the concepts of character, beginning-middle-end, building to a climax, etc etc. (You probably knew that already, Mark, but I had to put it in)

http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/
http://www.doktorkaboom.com/

As Tony said, there are lots of resources at the library. You might need to read them with your "magician" glasses on, so you can see the "show" possibilities in the experiments, as they aren't written with that focus in mind.

wes holly
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Baltimore, MD, USA
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1779 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Tony, with the coke and menthol - how do you do it without soaking the audience and ruining the floor?

I'm pursuing you do it on stage, so do you have a transparent wall or something to keep the audience dry?

Steve
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Go on Tony, publish an e-book about Science magic in English. There are not enough educational shows in the UK (compared to the USA and Canada).
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13397 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I've gotten several things from stevespanglerscience.com (as pointed out by Wes).
It's hot as he77 where I live in the summer and last year I did an outdoor "water show" and I used several things from that website.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mark
I used to be professor Bob's assistant (professor Al) in "prefessor Bob's mad science show" , and he did about 40 different experiments for different aged children. There are a lot of details in this line of work (just like in magic) that likely will not be covered in a book. There is however a forum at the magic Café called "the science of magic" that should get you pointed in the right direction.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I have been thinking about this thread, and I remember my days with professor Bob. He had all sorts of rocket experiments, dry ice experminents, 35mm film canister rockets, boxes with batteries, with blinking lights, and he gave every kid a sample of green slime to take home with them. Bob was fun, we parted because Bob was a disorganized mess, and I could not work under those conditions, but we still communicate. The beauty of the weird science business is that it is mostly done in the class room 9 to 5 Monday to Friday. Of course Bob does birthday parties on weekends too.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
themagiciansapprentice
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1381 Posts

Profile of themagiciansapprentice
Frank,

I like the look of the more unique stevespangler props and will purchase a few. They would certainly be well used by magicians in UK or USA schools (been a Science teacher in both). There is definitely a gap in the market for this kind of lesson / show. Just hope the budget cuts don't stop them happening.
Have wand will travel! Performing children's magic in the UK for Winter 2014 and Spring 2015.
Magic Arty
View Profile
Elite user
metro Atlanta
443 Posts

Profile of Magic Arty
I have been doing "The Math Magic Science Circus" show for a number of years now. Most of the science is from "the cartoon guide to physics " the material is important the tricks will follow. I do juggling and mix the magic with experiments on inertia and forces of gravity.
atsmagic
Arthur Atsma

Feeling real happy now!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2010-07-06 09:22, ku7uk3 wrote:
Tony, with the coke and menthol - how do you do it without soaking the audience and ruining the floor?

If you have a small hole in the coke bottle you will get a very high fountain of coke. But if you have a bigger hole you can get a smaller, thicker fountain that won't hit the roof. I put the coke bottle in a large saucepan, and a newspaper under the saucepan. The pan generally collects the coke, and the newspaper licks up any spillage.
Occasionally I will open a window and do it on the window ledge, so no one can get wet. I can also launch the vinegar rocket (which is not an indoor stunt) from a window ledge. In summer I end the show outdoors with the coke and the vinegar rocket.
Always use diet coke rather than real coke, as it doesn't dry sticky.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Science tricks/experiments (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL