The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Glenn Falkenstein has Passed Away (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10619 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
What a great man. Thanks Glenn for all you given me and the community. My deepest condolences to Frances and the family.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Sorry to hear that. A great loss to our community
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
The Paranormalist
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
702 Posts

Profile of The Paranormalist
First Corinda now Glen.... speechless.
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
708 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
The finest Spirit Cabinet act I have ever seen - when she levitated above the curtained cabinet, the hairs on the back of my neck stood up!

I had the great fortune to meet them in the UK some years ago at a Bristol Day of Magic.

I remember them both to be charming, self-effacing and lovely people. My condolences to Frances and her family. He will be missed.

Leslie
Stories....?....That's telling!
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
I have a very special connection to Glenn: he got me started in magic.

I was eight years old when I first met Mr. Falkenstein: his son Mike and I were in the same Cub Scout Pack. Every year he would do a magic show for us, in the auditorium of Westport Heights Elementary School in Los Angeles. His first show for the Cub Scouts, and that of another magician (whose name I cannot recall) at our annual school carnival (where I was one of the audience volunteers who got to come on stage and help) instilled in me a love of magic.

My parents used to go to The Magic Castle with Glenn during those years, and thanks to my mom's descriptions I had a vivid picture in my young mind of The Castle. I can remember vividly a show that Glenn did at El Camino College, where he, blindfolded with his steel mask, divined all sorts of personal information about the guest he had invited on stage from the audience. (That guest, it turns out, was my father.)

About twenty years ago I was trying to get in touch with Glenn, but I had no idea where he was living. I decided to write him a letter, put it in an envelope with his name but no address, then put that in another envelope addressed to The Magic Castle, with a request that they mail it to him (and an explanation of how I knew him). The management did not mail him the letter. Instead, they handed it to him that evening when he arrived for his shows: he was booked that week. The next day, Glenn phoned me and invited me and my family to The Castle for Sunday brunch. I'll never forget seeing him walk into the dining room as we were eating, and look around the room. I told my wife that that was Glenn. "Do you know what he's looking for?" I asked her.

"What?"

"He's looking for an eleven-year-old kid."

I walked up to Glenn and reintroduced myself, and introduced my family. He said that he was looking for someone who looked like my father; that, alas, was futile, as I look nothing like my father.

Glenn and Fran were in the Palace that afternoon, so we got to see their show. Afterward, Fran mentioned that her son-in-law did some close-up magic and offered to put him in touch with me. Unfortunately, that never happened.

(Interestingly, that Sunday was the day I met Rich Cowley for the first time. That's a story for another day.)

A few years later we got to see Glenn and Fran at Universal Studios just before Halloween, and a couple of years later we saw them in the Parlour at The Castle. At Universal Studios we met them after their show, and a woman came up and pleaded with Glenn to tell her fortune. Glenn told her that it was all an act, and that they didn't believe in fortune telling, clairvoyance, and so on, but the woman was adament. Interestingly, when we saw them at The Castle, Glenn began the act by saying the same thing: that they didn't believe in fortune telling, clairvoyance, and so on. I wondered how many such women had pleaded similarly, prompting the pre-show disclaimer.

Glenn was very, very special to me.

I attended the memorial service for Glenn this evening at The Magic Castle. The Palace was packed. In addition to his family, I saw Norm Neilsen, John Carney, Mike Caveney, Tina Lenert, Rafael Benetar, Jonathan Pendragon, and many, many others. It was a wonderful tribute to Glenn.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Wish I could have been there. I, too, have many fond memories of Glenn that go back many years. He will be missed.

Bob Cassidy
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
685 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
RIP Glenn, another sad news after Corinda......
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Glenn Falkenstein has Passed Away (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL