The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Patter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
There are many ideas and suggestions about patter for different magic effects, are there any resources for patter while making different balloons?
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
In my book Teach Yourself Magic I have included all the patter I use for a ten minute balloon routine.
At one point Docc Hilford had a twenty minute balloon routine on a video. Don't know if it is still available.
Wes Holly
View Profile
Special user
Baltimore, MD
639 Posts

Profile of Wes Holly
http://www.balloonhq.com/faq/twister_jokes.html

Myself, I prefer to make conversation and genuinely interact with the person I'm twisting for, the people around me, the people at the end, etc etc. And then occasionally throw in a one-liner. Ask the person what they are doing today, what favorite pizza they like, etc, etc. Then find the humor in their answers.

wes holly
Happily Yours,
Wes Holly
www.wesholly.com
Baltimore, MD, USA
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
Wes, that is what I do. I have a few jokes and stuff that I use here and there. Thanks for the feed back you guys, I will check the references made.
Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of Perry D Winkle
I share jokes with the kids. 'Hey bud! Do you know how to catch a unique rabbit? You Neek up on it. U neek.'

I call children bud the way some magicians call everyone boy. Not sure why but it works for me.

'Hey Bud! Do you know what time it is when an elephant sits on your fence? Time to get a new fence!'

That's how I start the humorous interaction Wes is referring to.

When I break off part of a balloon that has air in it I'll point it at my wife and let it rocket toward her. I make a big show of that and it gets laughs. You just have to remember to pick up the bits later Smile.

When I have a balloon pop there's a million jokes. i.e. 'Pardon me sir, yes you there, if you don't like what I'm making you don't have to shoot at it.'

Or this one; 'Canadian quality control isn't perfect.'

If a balloon rockets out of my hands while I'm trying to twist it; 'Well ladies and gentleman you've all heard about the one that got away, well there she went. The only one that ever got away from Perry D.'

In general I'm just my normal goofy self. I believe if you are going to be goofy and fun it's a full time job. You have to be goofy all the time. It can't be an act.

Today I wore my fez in Kroger's while I shopped for groceries.
Jestnjoker
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of Jestnjoker
Monty, the other thing to consider is do you really want to have a scripted patter for each creation? I don't see that working when 3 kids ask for the same thing right in a row! I do what everyone above has stated. I genuinely interact with them as human beings and lay on the corny jokes!

Also, I try my best to learn every child's name, at least for the time they are standing in front of me. Then everything becomes personalized, including the jokes. One example: I'll have the brother's and sister's name, Joey and Sally, then over the course of the creation I'll ask Sally, "What are you going to name your monkey?" While she's still thinking, before she can answer I'll pretend like I heard her say something and say, "You're going to name him Joey! Well that's just rude!." Another example, and how I actually often commit the names to memory is by getting the names of a small group of kids, "Sally, Joey, David, Megan", then I say, "And I'm Jeff." Then I say "Let's see if I've got this right" and then I shift all the names over by one. So I point to Sally and call her Joey and so on till Megan is Jeff and I am Sally. Great laugh for young kids especially when I end up with a girl's name or a brother is called his sister's name.

I've gotten lots of compliments on my ability to remember names. Just associate the name with what you are making them, repeat it a few times as you talk to them, or whatever you need to do to remember. Then when you hear a pop you can look across the room and stop the tears before they start by saying "Johnny! Come over here so I can fix up your puppy." Parents really respond well to this.

Grace and Peace.
Jeff Wright
www.WrightEntertainment.biz
Voted Best Party Entertainer in Cleveland, Nickelodeon Parents' Picks Awards
Bad to the Balloon
View Profile
Inner circle
Clearwater Florida
2116 Posts

Profile of Bad to the Balloon
I do mature jokes for the parents standing around. Joke are for the adults the balloons are for the kids is my standard line.

Most times I will have a real adult conversation while looking them directly in the eye. Many people are amazed I can do what I do without looking.

I also pre qualify and chat up parents about doing other shows and programs.
Mark Byrne
AKA Mark the Balloon Guy
As seen on the TODAY SHOW
www.balloonguy.net
Creator of Bad to the Balloon DVD series
Go to my store: http://tinyurl.com/Bad2theBalloon
Balloon&MagicGuy
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of Balloon&MagicGuy
It's always good to interact with the children and adults. My business claims to have the friendliest balloonists. Many share that a balloonist with a personality is much better. I hear it many times from customers that they see balloonists that look upset or don't talk to the kids. You got to look like you enjoy what you do. A grouchy twister is like that mean teacher that no one wants to approach...sorry teachers. Don't worry, I'm a teacher too.

I usually ask the child how old they are what their favorite color is. Btw, most girls like pink, so when I guess it and they look surprised like how did I know, I say because it's the color of your shoes. Of course, when they look down and before they can say their shoes aren't pink, I say "made you look." I also have a few corny jokes that sometimes fly over the kids heads and the adults get it. I also have some simple jokes for most of the balloon sculptures I make.

I also agree with Bad to the Balloon and if the parents look curious, I pass out my business card and talk to them about shows and programs. Although I have cards available on a business card stand, it's always good to pass out your cards. In fact, prior to leaving the party, I usually walk around and pass out a big stack of cards. This is where the magic of word of mouth will happen.

Richard
Lady Vee
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Lady Vee
Hi
I make a lot of jungle animals so I like to tell stories of the monkey in the jungle - or the lion been the king of the jungle etc.. depends on the age of the child of course. I also interact with the adults and if they not looking or chatting to others - I tell a joke or two and get their attention back to me to watch me make the balloon - particularly when I working for tips! The kid ain't paying me!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Patter (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL