The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Are you great at everything? Always have been? Don't click!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
I don't do well with the 11-15 and adults. When I have done adult walk around It seem to go well but my confidence is not up to it. I have a narrow field I work in, that being restaurant work and family shows, the more K-6 age the better. I have not tried to do much else because I don't think I do other venues well enough.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
The no comedy rule sounds rather odd. Maybe it was just to deter people who thought they could do stand up. I can't imagine you'd be disqualified for telling a clean joke or doing an amusing effect.

I would have to do a lot of adaption to do my kid show with a mic on a stand but that is how I work my adult show. I do quite fancy the old fashion ones.

Gigs I can't do? There's a lot of them! I have trouble with the 11-15s aswell. I've a kind of silly but smart act. Under 10s love the silly, over 15s appreciate that the silly is quite smart. 11-15 year olds don't get the smart bit and assume the silly is just silly.

I recently realise my walkaround act for adults need a lot of work.

I suppose you have to work out what audiences/situations you can't work because it doesn't work with your style and what you can't do properly because you don't have the experience.

I've been doing stand up for over 2 years now and only recently have got enough experience to open a comedy club or MC properly.

George
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I struggle in a show full of 11 to 15 year olds. I will pass on requests for formal shows, but will take the the close-up gigs. It seems this age group has a pressing need to guess how any effect is done before it is finished. This can totally gum up an otherwise good show. Performing close-up for this age group is less structured and more suited to this age group.

I also hate being too far away from my audience. Performing magic is about being able to see and hear. I once requested a stage at a festival where I thought people would not be able to see my show. I arrived to find the thing was about 10 feet long and 5 feet off the ground. To see my show at all, folks would have had to stand back too far. I put my show up in front of the stage and used it for a back drop. A lesson on being careful what you ask for.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Good tip derrick. I did that last year at a county fair near me. I was to perform after the band was done. Instead of making the band hurry up and get off the stage, I just set up on the ground in front of the stage so I was good and close to the spectators. That way I could easily go up and shake someone's hand if they said something funny, try to take someone's cell phone if it rang, etc.

Makes a huge difference to me.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
phill
View Profile
Veteran user
Connecticut
365 Posts

Profile of phill
My greatest challenge would be the "elderly facilities", especially in the sections where patients/residents require a high level of skilled care. I feel as though I really struggle When performing shows at this type of venue. I have tried several times and fully admit I am not the best fit for this "demographic".....
Scripture, Sculptures & Surprises!
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Quote:
My greatest challenge would be the "elderly facilities", especially in the sections where patients/residents require a high level of skilled care.

I completely forgot about this segment. I enjoy performing at independent living communities for seniors. Most of these residents are still alert and active and enjoy my Vaudeville-style program.

But, I politely decline most nursing homes and senior "daycares" simply because there is very little feedback to work with. I generally refer these to a buddy with a very bright and colorful stage show that requires less verbal interaction.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I do those and don't like them and do them anyway just to work in new lines/bits etc. or just to try out a new routine. I keep the show very short. about 20 minutes.
I think we're all in the same boat with that kind of show. my very first show WAS a nursing home show and thank god for the nurses.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Mr. Pitts
View Profile
Inner circle
David Pitts
1058 Posts

Profile of Mr. Pitts
I do some nursing homes. I don't think they're anybody's 'best fit'. I have to work hard to engage them and I try to include everyone. It's difficult to tell who understands what's going on and who doesn't. Although I do charge (a discounted rate) for these shows, I don't do them for the money nor do I expect them to be particularly rewarding or fun for me, at least not in the usual way a show is rewarding. I do these shows for the residents. Some get more out of it than others, absolutely, and some may not be getting anything. They tend not to be very responsive. I do rely on the nurses and staff to help me with the interactive stuff. These shows are hard, they're not much fun. But these shows are really not about me. I know that doing a little show is not going to really change things for them either, but for the time I'm there, they have something a little more fun for a little while.

One thing though that has been a nice surprise has been how well they like Henry. I do walk-around with him after the main show, and when he engages them one-on-one, even those who haven't been responsive during the show just light up. It's really amazing, as close to real magic as I get.
David Pitts
The Astonishing Mr. Pitts
Comedy Magician and Ventriloquist
http://www.mrpitts.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I do nursing homes all the time. If the residents are sleeping the staff always laugh.

I am not fond of Bat Mitzvah's because there is nothing less fun than a room full of 13 year old girls. I found this odd because some of my best audiences were tween aged girls too.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Al, that wasn't a nursing home, it was your highschool reunion! Parumpum!
jackturk
View Profile
Elite user
463 Posts

Profile of jackturk
Like many others, I find that I do sometimes dread working
gigs for 9-10-11 year boys ... especially a party with ALL
boys. That's a recipe for fear.

The most difficult gigs EVER were the ones where I arrived
and it was a party with 4 or so nine-year old boys, plus Mom
and Dad. That is one TOUGH crowd!

My sweet spot is a roomful of a couple dozen 4-6 year olds,
a mix of boys&girls, plus a scattering of parents as well.
That's a whole lot of fun.

I will admit, however, that the absolute scariest audiences
I ever faced was when I ran for office in 2007... compared to
surly voters, any room of party-crazed kids is a breeze.

--Jack Turk
"59 Ways To Recession Proof Your Entertainment Business -- FREE!"
http://www.GetLeadsLikeCrazy.com

"How To Make $25,000 a Year Doing Birthday Parties Part-Time"
http://www.magicmarketingcenter.com/birthdayPT
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Are you great at everything? Always have been? Don't click!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL