The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown "card coincidence" effect » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
I've been looking at my old Derren Brown DVD's, and I found one of my favourite effects. It was ferformed for Jonathan Ross and his wife Jane.

The Effect:

Two decks of cards are handed out, and the performer does not touch them again, each deck is shuffeled by a spectator and the spectator turns over one card while not looking. Coincidentally they have both turned over the 7 of Hearts.

This was from the second episode of Trick of the Mind season two, and I am trying to find this effect. Has it been marketed?

Tom
xx
I come from the future to culture you poor sods with fire.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Sounds like something already out there.

Can't for the life of me remember the name...

Anyone?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Frank Douglas
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Frank Douglas
Tom

I have not seen this, but I use a 3 Deck Coincidence effect. one red ungimmicked and shuffeled by a spec, one blue ungimmicked and shuffeled by a spec, and one I.D. held out to the end.

Each spec takes a deck from the card box; examines, shuffles and cuts the cards to his/her satisfaction. The spec then places the cards on a table.
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
The effect in question was clearly not an invisible deck, they were handeled by the spectators, examined and shown in new deck order. Derren claims in the film to "not touch the decks", and judging from the tv clips, I think that's true.

If it is an ID, I see absolutly no way to do it. Watch the clip if you can, you'll see what I mean.
I come from the future to culture you poor sods with fire.
Frank Douglas
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Frank Douglas
Tom

You posted before I could finnish editing.

I have not seen this, but I use a 3 Deck Coincidence effect. one red ungimmicked and shuffeled by a spec, one blue ungimmicked and shuffeled by a spec, and one I.D. held out to the end.

Each spec takes a deck from the card box; examines, shuffles and cuts the cards to his/her satisfaction. The spec then places the cards on a table.

While this is going on I am explaining about coincidence and the possiblity of there not being such a thing as coincidence, but patterns that reveal themselves.

I ask each spec to begin turning the cards one at a time and ask them to look for patterns that might emerge. as things progess I point out things like runs of suits, colors, matching suits, colors, or value of the cards until they come to cards that are a match (same suit, and value one each face up card).

I have each spec pick up their face up card ans show the audience and I flip through a few more on each stach showing again that they are different. I then indicate the 3rd card case (I.D.) and tell them that earlier I had one card that kept popping into my thoughts, and I knew it had a meaning. As I pick up the box and open it I tell them that I took this deck and found that one card that kept making it's self known and reversed it in the deck.

You know the rest of the story.

Tom

This sounds vaguely like a "You do as I do" out of Royal Road, but in that one involves one spec and the performer.

Cheers
Frank
OnTiltSoon
View Profile
Special user
Barcelona
543 Posts

Profile of OnTiltSoon
- Joaquín Gasa Thomas
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
"oh yes...i've seen this one...the one derren did on his show with jonathan ross and his lovely wife..."

its not been marketed by derren, nor is it available in the way it was used - otherwise the blurbs would read "as seen on derren brown!" to sell it to fellas like yourself...

so, come up with your own method, rather than second-guess someone elses...i personally would use midgets with soft hands to do two deck switches..himber-dwarves...
I've asked to be banned
askernas
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
293 Posts

Profile of askernas
You also have to remember that the effect is TV.

It would probably not work just like that in real life.

I think I have a good idea of what he's doing, but of course I could be way way wrong...

You could accomplish something similar after reading the first chapter of Ted Lesley's Paramiracles and have your trusty ID in your back pocket for backup....

Not how DB does it, but why would you want to do excactly what he does anyway?
Micke Askernäs
www.askernas.com
Simon (Ted) Edwards
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1528 Posts

Profile of Simon (Ted) Edwards
I can think of one way to do it. Simple is best.
Gatehouse
View Profile
Regular user
Cardiff, UK
117 Posts

Profile of Gatehouse
If nothing else, I think this is a really nice and rather fluid example of getting someone to select a card and forgetting all about those pesky court cards...
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
I agree with Ted, there is a way to do this...just like there is a way to do the Berglas Effect.

Regards,
Mike
MindBrigade
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of MindBrigade
The 7 of hearts is a force no doubt about it, as for the method you can achieve the exact same thing with the invisible deck modification Daniel Madison published in his Irreversible book, I mean the exact same one ( if you managed to force the 7 of heart Smile ).
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I'll say it - just to annoy Eshla...

I know how its done...

I don't use it, but I know how its down...nyah nyah nah nyah nah...

its so simple, and that is the point with all of nyman and brown's work...devious, plot driven, beautifully constructed...maybe they don't perform in front of mensa crowds or very skeptical people...maybe they are just concerned about entertaining?

*all said tongue in cheek with regard to eshla references*
I've asked to be banned
Frank Douglas
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Frank Douglas
From what I saw, this could be done as an opener. But due to the setup, having the decks preset on a table, I can't see this as a practicle middler or closer. As for the selected card there are a few ways to accomplish this with a pre-show force, etc.

Cheers
Frank
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1945 Posts

Profile of Claudio
Quote:
On 2010-07-08 08:13, MindBrigade wrote:
The 7 of hearts is a force no doubt about it, as for the method you can achieve the exact same thing with the invisible deck modification Daniel Madison published in his Irreversible book, I mean the exact same one ( if you managed to force the 7 of heart Smile ).

Yes, I concur. And it can be used as opener, middler or closer.
Frank Douglas
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Frank Douglas
I am basing the "practicality" on the video clip referenced previously, with the decks already spread on the table, and you not touching the decks. Assuming that you are not going to be bringing a preset table into possition on stage this would work better as an opener. It's set up and ready to go. It can be set up and used as a middler or closer, if you wish to stutter the flow of the show to bring the table into place.

JM2CW

Cheers
Frank
revelation77
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
29 Posts

Profile of revelation77
I have performed this effect a number of times and it is an absolute treat. I use the method outlined in Daniel Madison's 'Identity' ebook (a brilliant investment). The decks are gaffed but are handled by the spectators and they have no idea. I just get to sit back, deliver my presentation and take all the credit. I love this one.
Frank Douglas
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Frank Douglas
Quote:
On 2010-07-08 11:04, revelation77 wrote:
I have performed this effect a number of times and it is an absolute treat. I use the method outlined in Daniel Madison's 'Identity' ebook (a brilliant investment). The decks are gaffed but are handled by the spectators and they have no idea. I just get to sit back, deliver my presentation and take all the credit. I love this one.

Do you start with the decks spread as the video shows or boxed?

If you can start with the decks boxed then I agree this can be done during any part of a show.

Cheers
Freank
revelation77
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
29 Posts

Profile of revelation77
Yes, you can start the effect with the cards boxed. You can then spread them on the table in front of the spectators or just not spread the cards and not even touch them at any time during the effect. So it can be an opener, middler or closer. I can't be sure if this is the method that Derren used but the effect is EXACTLY the same.
Peace,
Rev.
CardWiz
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
626 Posts

Profile of CardWiz
You can easily start boxed with Madison's method.

Here is another thread on this in-case anyone is interested:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=2&14

I agree that you can accomplish about exactly what is on that video.

CW
People have been calling me "Yu" lately. I don't know, must be Chinese.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren Brown "card coincidence" effect » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL