The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Answering all PM's about the Modern Art used on AGT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1223 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Hello guys,

Due to the number of PM's I am receiving about the illusion I did in the Vegas Round I decided to just post it and answer all the questions.

1. Yes I am off the show now.

2. It is a custom built based off of the Steinmeyer plans.

3. They cut the performance up pretty bad. I added an effect which allows me to do pull ups while inside the top box showing a complete seperation of top and bottom, but you only saw about a 1 or 2 second glimpse of it. If you didn't know what you were looking for you would have missed it....as did all my lay person friends.

4. I designed the look so it would look less likea prop and had a graphics design company apply it.

5. The worst part about the whole clip was that they cut out my show girls!! They were the best part! We had a pretty slick dance routine that got the whole thing done in 90 seconds.....Thanks to Joanie Spina! She is a real miracle worker, unfortunately they cut out all of her work.

6. I am not bitter. Less than half of the acts that made it to Vegas were even featured on the show at all, to include the audition. I was very lucky to have been a part of it and I got some great exposure.

I don't mind the PM's please feel free to ask away. This was just a lot easier to do than answer a lot of similiar questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTxBzFN9UlA
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
I certainly don’t mind sharing that I think it is a REAL Talent Travesty that, for the sake of TV Ratings on a so-called “Talent Show/Compatition” that some of those first & second-round acts went thru! – Pathetic!

Come on… ‘Rohnert’???!!! (or how-ever you pronounce it… and it wasn’t JUST him, but he is the most OBVIOUS one!) The so-called ‘impressionist or actor’ was horrible and NOT a talent at-all! – It was an embarrassment!

Oh sure, I KNOW why they did it… it makes for so-called “interesting TV”, but for me, it takes away a VALUABLE slot for one of the acts that truly IS a ‘talented act’ and truly deserving of a real chance to be in the competition! – CRAP!

I am not ‘holier than thou’ AND I give them their kudos for TRYING, but let’s be honest, THIS IS A MILLION DOLLAR, 90 Minute Las Vegas Show Compatition and NOT just another ‘William (She Bang) Houng’ type move… I get that, (as a BUSINESS Person…) BUT some REAL Talent just lost out and THAT is totally misrepresentative of NBC and the producers of the show offered as a “Talent Show & Competition” and not some ‘just for ratings’ monster that A.G.T. is famous for chewing up and spitting out!

Just “MY” thoughts…
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
How about your out of pocket expenses? What's covered by the show? Now that would be interesting to hear about.

Steve
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1223 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Hello Steve,

The show paid all travel and shipping expenses. As well as lodging and per diem. My prop was also slightly damaged in shipping and they paid for the necessary hardware to fix it!
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Good to know ... watch for me on next years season! They'll eat me alive!

Steve
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1223 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Are you going to wear your super hero uniform?
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Do I have a choice? I always say .. stand out in a crowd.

Steve
HarbinJr.
View Profile
Elite user
I only have
450 Posts

Profile of HarbinJr.
I'm still shocked that they only give magician's 90 seconds to get their acts done.

Rob
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1223 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
They have to so they make it fair for all acts.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Scott,

I thought you did a bang up job on the show and put magic into a positive light...something that doesn't usually happen on AGT. You got some awesome exposure and people are still talking about you. I know b/c many tonight at my Friday Night gig asked me about the marine on AGT.

You impressed people and are the talk of the town.

Great job...!

Christopher
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1223 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Thanks Christopher! It's kind of surreal. I do a kids program called "The magic of patriotism" where all the routines are done with a......you guessed it....a patriotic theme. Anyhow, I booked about 10 libraries in my area back in February. They started in June and the first ones were pretty popular by the Library standards....the 2 that I have done since the show had aired went standing room only 30 minutes before the show....LOL. Unfortunately many people had to be turned away. I offered to do two shows at no extra cost, but both libraries had events scheduled after mine and couldn't accomodate the space needed. Then I answered the phone today for a lady wanting me to perform at a NASCAR event at the Portland International Raceway. She asked if it was me on the phone....when I said yes she started screaming IT'S HIM...IT'S HIM....IT'S HIM...to the other people in her office. Funny stuff.....oh well, I got about 12 minutes of this so called fame left...I will enjoy it while I can. Smile
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

That's AWESOME man!

I have been contacted by the show the last few years and I have turned them down. In my mind, it would be a big gamble going on the show. My act is as tight as it can be, however...on a show like that, they will paint the picture they wish to show.

Being that I don't do any large illusions in my show, I have always figured they'd nail me to a wall so I declined.

Perhaps I should be more opened...

Then again...?

:)
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1223 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
It's a double edged sword man. Michael Grasso did a great manipulation act in Vegas. They re edited it, but during his act the sound tech screwed up and his music cut off 30 seconds prior to his act being over. He just kept going on like nothing had happened, didn't even skip a beat. He is a true pro and handled himself as such, but they didn't take him past Vegas neither.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

I enjoyed Mike's manip routine...but I knew he was dead in the water when he was going to perform Sleight of Hand. Judges don't care about that. Back when Shimshi was on the show, his Vegas round he did a type of a card stab.

He used jumbo cards and did a BACK FLIP kicking at the deck of cards and selected card was stuck in his shoe sticking out of the toe.

Pierce said he completely blew his chance. He had a once in a lifetime shot and he did a card trick! Big mistake.

Skill magic doesn't play on the show...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
mantooth
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of mantooth
Missed the pull ups until I watched the youtube clip...VERY cool! Plus, totally makes military sense... Maybe really pointing it out more would've helped. ie... counting, or having the girls blatently stare at your top half. In any event... I think it was a brilliant way to military theme that illusion. Kudos to you sir!

As for Grasso... Thought he was really going to be a contender... BUT knew he was done when he did a manipulation routine...
Seriously... In todays times... NO ONE CARES! It was a great classic routine from what they showed, BUT I've NEVER met a layman that ooooohed and awwwwwwwed over a manip routine. All it does is play into the stereotype of a magician. Look at ANYONE commercial... Copperfield isn't closing his show with a card manipulation routine followed by a chinese fan production and snowstorm. Smile Even Lance's bird act wouldn't go over if he was STARTING out today. It works because of his name and his character. Couldn't believe that Grasso chose to to that... out of everything he could've chosen, a card manip routine...Disappointing because I think he is REALLY good! But, live and learn I guess.

In any event, CONGRATS to ALL of them for making it as far as they did. You all put yourself out there, and you were all pros! GREAT JOB!!!
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1223 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Thanks Mantooth, We did do a count on the pullups and girls pointed attention to it. It was just cut from the program. Grasso could have done a big illusion, but his trained assistant couldn't make it to Vegas so he was forced to do a solo act. It was hard for anyone to plan for Vegas because they didn't tell us we made it until about 2 weeks before we went there.
gmeister
View Profile
Inner circle
1578 Posts

Profile of gmeister
Scott, you were top-notch as was Michael. Your peers know who belongs in Vegas, even if the judges don't (or, perhaps more accurately, are just following orders to goose ratings rather than actually promote talent).
Eshla
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of Eshla
I thought you said you were going to do a bullet catch? I was really looking forward to that, because the idea of a soldier pulling it off is a novel one.
I come from the future to culture you poor sods with fire.
MrPrestoHypno
View Profile
Regular user
186 Posts

Profile of MrPrestoHypno
Scott,
I was impressed and from one Army Sergeant to another, “Duty, Honor, Country!”

You have done us proud and you deserve all the recognition that you receive.

Rick
ps, If you ever need any type of magic while overseas please pm anytime
and I will get it to you.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1223 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
When did tell you that eshla? I don't think I have ever even thought about doing that.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Answering all PM's about the Modern Art used on AGT (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL