The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Illusions that *shouldn't* work (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-07-11 16:55, Cyberqat wrote:
Hmm. I looked at few you tubes. I *think* what sells is it people's natural fear of fire. Having never passed a candle by their arm, I think they assume that it should burn... I agree that the penetration is no great shakes, particularly if you show the diameter of the tube anywhere near your arm so it can be visually compared.

It also seems to me like this is one that could by improved a lot with a little acting... make it seem hard to get the candle through. Most of the you tube presentations I looked at where pretty uninspired.

I have a version of my slice-off that actually has two candles going thru it, then I use blades and slice the arm. Split the box with the lit candles in place.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
rockthemike
View Profile
Special user
Seattle
694 Posts

Profile of rockthemike
The thumb tip.
Michael Wong
Wizard
http://michaelwong.says.so
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
Flower botania.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-07-12 06:09, Mehtas wrote:
Flower botania.

Yeah, most botanias have that residual swing up of the flowers as they are produced.
Same with the flower foulard. (sorry Hugmagic).
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
amazingvijay
View Profile
Regular user
N. California Bay Area
180 Posts

Profile of amazingvijay
Botania works very well in kids/family type shows.

Vijay
N California Bay Area magician
http://www.amazingvijay.com
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Yeah the thumb tip is a good one isn't it? I put the "6th finger" in a similar category.

I've heard the legend that Slydini would perform with an unpainted metal thumb tip just to make the point that it really doesn't need any camouflage. (Anyone that can confirm or deny that?)
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5488 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
The thumb tip is perfect. I still think I'm going to get caught every time I use one. It just seems too simple. People should know what's going on, yet, presto... they don't. Brilliant.

(Did I just use "presto?" Scary.)
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
I like the part when the box with severed hand floats in the air while Magic Ian points with his right hand. Smile
I like this effect and am not criticizing anything.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Blizzard
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2010-07-12 20:43, manal wrote:
I like the part when the box with severed hand floats in the air while Magic Ian points with his right hand. Smile
I like this effect and am not criticizing anything.

Floating effect costs more.
Actually, from the audience view (not the video view), the box is firmly supported by my left hand which can be seen clearly by spectators.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
TT, for sure.

Regards,
Mike

Posted: Jul 13, 2010 4:37pm
Twisting arm illusion.

Regards,
Mike
lemonjug
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of lemonjug
Asher's Losing Control
nowyoucme
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of nowyoucme
Zombie ball.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Illusions that *shouldn't* work (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL