We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Cigarette Through Coin (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4186 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I'm curious how many people are still doing this effect, and what handlings or variations are being used.
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS! AT DEALERS EVERYWHERE!
https://youtu.be/hzf-Trbs4Ts

https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

ALSO...available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com I also have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book, let me know if you want a pricelist.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Hi Mike,

I personally used to do it by rolling up a dollar bill and using that to penetrate rather than a cig, however, I haven't used the gaff in quite awhile.

I would say that many stopped using it after the David Blaine special, and subsequent
"Street Magic Secrets Revealed" FOX episode that tipped it to the world.

Don Alan has a really nice handling of it on the Steven's Magic Emporium's Coin Classics Volume 1.

In fact, you might like the tape if you don't have it - It has a bunch of magicians doing coin magic including:

David Regal, Daryl, John Carney, Michael Ammar, J.B. Bobo, David Acer, Jay Marshall, Eugene Burger, Don Alan, Gary Kurtz, Jay Sankey, Vani Bossi, and John Born.

I have a review of it on my website in case you are interested.

Dan
Click to visit:
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4186 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Hey Dan,
Funny you should write that. I just finished working on a routine with the same idea! That's the reason I posted this topic. I wanted to see what variations other guys have come up with. Do you know of any prior handling besides your own that use a bill?
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS! AT DEALERS EVERYWHERE!
https://youtu.be/hzf-Trbs4Ts

https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

ALSO...available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com I also have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book, let me know if you want a pricelist.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2323 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Hey Mike, I haven't seen the Fox episode, so I've been presenting the trick to people like they have never seen it before. Best to do it to drunk people too. And I don't smoke, so I borrow a lit cig. Smile
mambra
View Profile
New user
Milano (Italy)
66 Posts

Profile of mambra
Hi.

Nobody has been asked "When did you change the coin?". I did. I do not think they caught me (in the other routines they usually do not) ...but is the trick... Too Perfect?

OK, anyhow it is not in my routine anymore.

Cheers

Stefano Mambretti
Jason Fleming
View Profile
Veteran user
Marooned, Hawaii
374 Posts

Profile of Jason Fleming
I've recently done it for people I know saw all the "revealed" specials, and they were still impressed! I don't think they remember that they saw the method exposed.

Borrowing the cigarette (and the quarter...) seems pretty magical to them, I think.

cheers,
JF
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1922 Posts

Profile of Platt
Mambra, I think the standard routine is too perfect. Particularly if you show the filter all the way through. And if you actually take a puff, it doesn't take a scientist to deduce that it must be a gaffed coin. When I used to do Cig through Quarter, I would only penetrate the quarter about half the length of the filter, suggestion the illusion of penetration. I want the spectator to ask- "Wow, how did he make the cigarette look like it went through the coin?" Not - How did it go through the coin?"

If they ask the second question there's eventually only one place for their mind to go. Just one guy's humble opinion.

Platt
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Ahh ... the too perfect theory! Let me pose this question - If you actually had the power to magically pass a cigarette through a quarter, how perfect would you want it to look?
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1922 Posts

Profile of Platt
Yes, if I had the power I would want it to look perfect. However I don't have that power. And more importantly I don't think 99% of people truly believe magicians have the ability to break the laws of nature (but that's a whole other thread).

So assuming they don't truly believe you have those kind of powers, I'd like them to think I performed an amazing illusion which really, really looked like it was going through the coin. But not think to themselves-without a doubt that cigarette is clearly through that quarter. There's too quick of solution- fake coin.

On the other hand, with say a coins across effect, I want it to look as perfect as possible-how it would in fact look if I could really make coins invisibly travel. Because what are they going to think- those are obviously the type of coins that dematerialize, fly through the air, and rematerialize in your other hand?

Maybe Cig through Quarter isn't too perfect, but to use a term of Jay Sankey's, it's imperfect. IMHO It's imperfect because the layman mind, assuming it doesn't believe you can truly change physical properties, can only go to one possible conclusion.

Platt

Smile
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
I use a small drafting pencil to pass through their coin. I first hand out the coin and the pencil and ask "Please examine the pencil. Make sure it is solid, doesn't collapse or anything like that, and also make sure the coin is real, has no trap doors or secret openings. It is very important that you do so. You will see why in a minute".

I then take the coin back and as I do (It is facing the same way as the gimicked "normal side" "looks" and I switch it as I lay it on the table. It all looks as if all I did was take it back from the person that was examining it and placed it cleanly on the table. (Remember, if you handle it as a regular coin with no fear about it, then it translates as such to your audience). I then take back the pencil as well and very cleanly pick up the coin.

Then I ask if "it is impossible for one solid object to pass through another" unless of course you consider the mechanics about it. All solid objects are just molecules vibrating and to our eyes and senses they appear solid. A gas is moving at a much higher, and hotter rate than a liquid. Consider water. In a frozen form with slow moving molecules, it appears solid but if you warm it and make the molecules vibrate faster it becomes a liquid and even faster it becomes a gas which can pass through other objects."

That is when I make the pencil pass through the coin. As they see it "seal up" as I pull out the end of the pencil, I reach forward and hand the pencil to someone (which covers the switch on coin again) and I hand the coin out as well asking once more to "make sure that they are solid".

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5370 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I frankly don’t worry about if the illusion is too perfect! Generally my attitude is that I am a magician and I perform wonders! In terms of the cigarette through coin: I don’t smoke but do perform this effect. I don’t use a feather (a la’ Henning) or rolled up dollar bill or kids crayon. I use a cigarette!

Now, I must admit that I carry a pack of cigarettes with me. The reason is that the cigarettes are “set-up”. That is, a couple of them are ready for a bill to cigarette and a couple of them are ready for a card to cigarette. And I have two that are gimmicked for a cigarette through coin!

Yes, I have, carry, and use the gimmicked coin. I have a US quarter, US Half (rarely used) and a homemade gimmicked US nickel (which I tend to use the most!). I use a gimmicked cigarette to start the routine. I started using the gimmicked cigarette shortly after the exposure of the coin on Fox.

I borrow a coin (any coin) and perform the first phase of the effect (unlit cig through the coin) give the coin back for examination and light the cigarette (switch out the cigarette here). Then ring in my gimmick and perform the second phase of lit cigarette through the coin. Finish by ringing out the gimmick coin and handing back the borrowed coin and leave the lit cigarette at the table in the ashtray. It makes for a longer routine, but I believe it covers the logical thought processes of the spectator. Two different methods to achieve the same effect help make a complete routine and maintain the mystery.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Quote:
On 2002-04-16 17:06, Platt wrote:
Yes, if I had the power I would want it to look perfect.

Exactly! So if you're portraying the part of someone with magical powers, I believe that it's good to try to present an effect as closely as possible to the way it would look if you actually did possess such abilities.

I do understand your point of view though. It's shared by many. An interesting point about the too perfect theory, is that it seems to only be applied, when there is some sort of gaff or gimmick to be concealed.

The fear of the secret device being discovered (or even suspected), causes the magician to notch back on the effect, or to add some sort of "imperfection" to the presentation.

Why water down the effect like this? Sure, what you present is clearly impossible (you can't stick a cigarette through a quarter!), but so what! A magician can do the impossible! Doing the impossible IS the illusion!

Think of it like this... if you had a coin that was gaffed in such a way, that you could have it examined, then with NO SWITCH, cleanly push a cigarette completely through it, have the hole actually reseal itself and have THE SAME coin examined again (what a wonderful gaff this would be!), how would you then present the effect?

Well, except for the fact that you do have to switch the gaff in and out, this is exactly the effect, as seen by the spectator. Anyway, many people differ as to their thoughts concerning the "too perfect theory". I actually think your point of view is the more prevalent one. It certainly is an interesting topic though! Smile
mambra
View Profile
New user
Milano (Italy)
66 Posts

Profile of mambra
Hi.

Well, Too Perfect Theory might be addressed as only a theory. But what happened to ME is I was told I am very good in switching the coins.

Quite a compliment... they told "I am very good...." but, unfortunately it is not the reaction I want. To say with Al Schneider's words, it is not the way I want to be perceived by the audience.

I want to let them think "it's impossible... it's magic!"

I read all the article of last August about the TPT on Genii magazine, and I am currently working on a routine which uses a coin with a hole. That hole is smaller than what would be necessary to pass a cigarette through.

They can see and check the coin.

THEN I will have a cigarette borrowed AND I will pass it through.

The coin IS gimmicked (it has a hole) BUT is too small... I peformed the impossible.

That is a way to remove the idea the coin has been switched (hopefully).

That would say work with audience's *assumptions* (Mike Close, Al Schneider again, PG Varola). Or Tamariz's idea of
"false paths" (or whatever you translate it).

Unfortunately, I did not come out with anything good enough to be presented in front of an audience.

Cheers

Stefano Mambretti
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
Jim Krenz has a nice routine where he borrows "a nickel, a quarter... whatever." And THEN he does the cigarette penetration. He's set up with multiple gaffed coins (not the usual kind).

Very nice thinking and quite clean handling. The adding of the "relatively-free coin choice" is a nice touch which isn't lost on the spectators.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
templemagic
View Profile
Elite user
Sunderland, North-East England
420 Posts

Profile of templemagic
I don't use the trick for the following reasons:

1. It was revealed on TV.
2. If I go abroad then I have to get a new coin to match the currency.
3. I use Mark Leveridge's Cigarette through Pokerchip which is angle proof.

http://www.markleveridge.co.uk
ROBERT TEMPLE
"The Power to Amaze"

robert@roberttemple.co.uk
http://www.roberttemple.co.uk
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
Here's something that YOU'VE GOT TO TRY...

When I perform in the resaurant, I use a feather instead of a cigarette or soda straw. The illusion is absolutely stunning!!

My routine, and handling, is structured so that the audience never suspects a trick coin. I borrow the coin, and have the head side marked with a Sharpie. I then perform a
'Shuttle Pass' to show the eagle-side of the coin. Introduce the feather, and perform the effect. (By the way, you can pull the feather through the quarter, and the 'spot' absolutely looks as if the metal is
'melting' back together. You don't have to
'cover' the spot, as you do when you use a solid round object). The way the feather pulls through the coin, creates this illusion beautifully! The fluffy ends of the feather, automatically hides the spot. I pass the feather through only twice, and IMMEDIATELY 'Shuttle Pass' it, and hand the coin back, saying, "See, it stll has your mark on it!"

The lender picks up their coin so fast to look at it, that they have never looked back at my hands to see if I'm holding a trick coin. I hand them the feather (with the hand that has the gaffed coin), so they can see both items.

Yes, performing the 'Cig Thru Quarter', has been very well recieved by those who I've performed it for... sometimes ten times a night.

As far as I know, credit for the 'Feather' idea goes to Doug Henning (I first saw this years ago, on one of his visits on the Johnny Carson show.)

- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
ravi
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
413 Posts

Profile of ravi
try out Derren Brown`s handling from Pure Effect, it is great! Another good source for a working routine is" The books of wonder" by Tommy Wonder. If you know Tommy Wonder, you know that he will completely fool you with his handling. Smile
I N D R I D C O L E

DEAD AnD GONE
Fantasy Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto,Ontario,Canada
244 Posts

Profile of Fantasy Knight
Well, fellow magicians, I have to say the cigarette though quarter is a great effect. If you like to cover yourself from revealing the secret here is a tip: John Kennedy has a nice smoke through quarter where you can borrow the quarter and have it signed before the illusion takes place. How, you ask, is that so? The quarter is not the gimmick--the cigarette is. That takes care of that problem don't you think? Order one up, because from a dealer's point of veiw it's a great problem solver. And that, my friends, is my tip of the hat to you!

Magically Yours,
TrickyRicky
Smile
Grew up near one of the greatest minds in magic the late Stewart James, in a town called Wallaceburg just 15 mins from Courtright where James could be found, time and time again he would inspire me to always be creative and just love all magic.
Rcitgo
View Profile
Special user
Emporia,Va.
734 Posts

Profile of Rcitgo
I have the Johnson guarter but haven't used it in a while. I was thinking about getting Berlanger quarter to do the effect. You still have to do a switch to let the spectator look at it. Do any of you use it? Smile
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6584 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Yes.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Cigarette Through Coin (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL