The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Now here's a Magician! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
There are a few guys on there that already have played Vegas.... They do not restrict it to people who have never had some level of success the same way Idol has had people who at one time were under contract.

There are also very few acts that they have on the show that could carry an entire show by themselves.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Gospel Dan is right about the 90 minutes thing. The act is pure Vaudeville in style.

Maybe I should enter one of these contests. I have to carry 90 minutes, day in day out. I sing, I dance, I tell jokes, I do magic tricks. They seem interested, so I think I'm relatively successful.

Am I ready for Vegas?
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
Quote:
Am I ready for Vegas?

Yes, but Vegas is not ready for you. Smile
You know why don't act naive.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Right. Smile

The irony is how guilty I feel about the entertainment part.

And I lied about dancing. I only meant that figuratively.
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry
I feel that the dancing is crucial to the whole "song & dance" scenario put forth above. Now that I understand you do not dance, merely "bob & weave" or "ride the bike" with the best of them, you may in fact not be ready for Vegas. I sense you do have a dancers arch though and that it can be developed, nurtured even, till a fully expressive transference of human emotion to your fellow man can be conveyed by simply walking into a room. I often see the best in people.
You know why don't act naive.
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
Take an act like that and "Tommy Cooper".

I could watch 30 seconds of that, and 6 hours of Tommy Cooper. Basically the same thing, but Tommy Cooper was a one of a kind.
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-07-09 18:09, MagicSanta wrote:
Who is this Piers anyway? Is he even involved with entertainment?

Um ...looks like he's the next Larry King:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100714/ap_e......s_morgan
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
DN777
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of DN777
Hilarious! lol
Shawn Evans
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Shawn Evans
HAHA...that was great!! The plastic cups and the tape measure...lol. Good stuff!
I took the Pledge

" The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed." - Albert Einstein
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Well... a little of that goes a long way for me.

I did like the way he handled one detractor. I thought keeping the act up with him was prefect. An the way he said, "I'm an illusionist" like he was apologizing was wonderful.

But yeah, I liked Ballantine better. Chipps IMHO is, in the end, basically a one-gag guy, at least in this act. Ballantine would get you going like it was a real magic act, and then hit you with it.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
So... I couldn't resist youtubing... I wonder if this was his last performance...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqQVq-tfVaU&feature=related

And you know your a performance legend when others create performances about you...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPpLoF7zudQ&feature=related
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
To be fair to chips.... this act works better when he isn't pressed for time IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G40-BZyr_FM&feature=related
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Chipps is out of the competition. Anyone know, did he get very far?

However, I see that illusionist / fire eater Antonio Restivo has made it through to the semi-finals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzTHq9xBbIA
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Hey you guys if you stop the video at just the right times you can see how he did these magic tricks! I was like "Oh my gosh!"

Seriously it was a lot of fun to watch.

Good magic to all,

Eric
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
969 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
That was bad! Just 'slap stick' comedy (almost!) However,
he's now more famous than most of us!
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Antonio sure made Criss Angel look like a turkey.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Heh. Just when I thought hair-metal was totally dead. It really is true that old is new in magic Smile

I do wonder about the shoulder length hair and his love for fire. I hope hes keeping in mind that hair is really really flammable.

But it was a nice act for 90 second. It felt rushed to me but he really had no choice in that time frame. He definitely has a strong and original personal style and showed the judges what they wanted to see.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Now here's a Magician! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL