The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » You can make Shimmed Shell (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Hello,
Lately I've been having reservations about carrying around my expensive gaffs and performing with them. Truthfully, I'm seriously considering selling most of them and going back to the less expensive items. If presented properly, your audience doesn't even consider the difference, only the performer does.

In any event- I shimmed an Eisenhower Expanded shell at work.
Luckily for me, there's a machine shop where I work. I don't work in the machine shop. I know-It does make all the difference in the world

I went to the shop, picked out the thinnest piece of steel I could find ( it was pretty thin) went to the band saw and cut out two small squares. Made them into circles. Banged them even flatter with a hammer and filed them down even thinner.
Checked out the fit with the Ike shell and super-glued the piece in place.
Works like a charm.
Then I did the same thing with my Ike flipper.
No binding. Nothing.
Now-I can go out-perform my favorite routines, and not worry about dropping my $200,$300 or $400 dollar gaffus on the floor.
Man- The liberation and freedom is incredible.
Thanks for listening.
Jim
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Hey Jim,

Sounds like you are a little more "handy" than I am. I'm not sure I could craft my own shims.

What you say about fear of dropping or losing an expensive gaff rings true.

I think about it every time I put them in my pocket and head out to perform with them.

I have two very expensive CSB sets. I am still most comfortable performing with the cheapo set I bought thirty years ago.

I don't see myself selling my expensive gaff sets though. I just enjoy playing with them so much and know they are the best of the best, kind of a "collector" kind of thing.

Cheers!

Sammy
Sammy J. Teague
jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Sammy,
Thanks for the reply. I hear ya. I have a Cerberus I'm pretty fond of and it's in great shape. If I practise and perform with it much longer, I'm pretty sure it won't be and there goes the resale value, if I was so inclined. Along with a Triple Threat that's soft and old. Really nice.
Everytime I practise or perform with that little puppy, my hand starts to shake. I've already dinged up another TT about 3 years ago and it took me a week to get the ding out.

Thanks for your comments.
Jim
Bambu
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of Bambu
For shimming you can try to use a small piece of a razor blade.
Jake Murphree
View Profile
Regular user
Beyond the Psychomanteum
138 Posts

Profile of Jake Murphree
Sometimes when you buy a DVD it has a little security tag stuck inside the case. If you cut one of these open, there are very thin and VERY m*****c strips of metal that work pretty well for shimming light objects - I wonder if this would work for smaller coins or if several strips of this material would be sufficient for a m****t to stick.
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1294 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
You do know that you can buy shim material at a very low cost. I got about 8-10 pieces per pack a few years ago at my Local magic shop.
Great to hear how you made yours though.
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2235 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
You might consideriron filings, available from science supply shops
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Quote:
On 2010-07-16 07:52, jimmyj wrote:
Sammy,
Thanks for the reply. I hear ya. I have a Cerberus I'm pretty fond of and it's in great shape. If I practise and perform with it much longer, I'm pretty sure it won't be and there goes the resale value

I put my Cerberus together with the bottom coin upside down and almost had a heart attack when I couldn't get it apart.

I've considered the same thing (using less expensive gaffs.)
Wes
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1785 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
You may have caught the thread recently (early August) where I talked about losing my Triple Threat at a wedding, but had it returned much later by someone who had seen me perform magic, and thought it must be mine.

Episodes like these make you leary about pulling the expensive gaffs out for events like this. Admitted, I must blame the flowing wine a little bit.

I wasn't working professionally, I was part of the wedding party.

Bad Sammy!
Sammy J. Teague
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of tntjr
jimmyj
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of jimmyj
Hello tntjr,
No-But that looks awfully interesting.
Thanks for the tip. Gonna pick some of that stuff up. I'll let you know how it works out. I've got a bunch of shells I can experiment on.
Thanks again.
Jim.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1576 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
You can pick up shims pretty cheap (Chuck Leach includes a pack of shims free with many of his PK products), but that magnetic rustoleum has some neat possibilities. How about the underside (or servante side facing you) of a wooden table? Other wooden props? Interesting.

Regards,

Alan
RandyHuynh
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of RandyHuynh
Great
im looking this for long time
my shell from oxf set missing the shim and taflon. I try to make it again
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
4190 Posts

Profile of videoman
This works great as shims:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00065......F8&psc=1

Comes in 4 different thicknesses and for magic uses it's probably a lifetime supply as well.

I have used it for various things but for a coin shell, just cut a rough circle to fit inside the shell, don't worry about it being perfect no one sees it and it will work fine. You may need to lightly file or sand the edges to deburr it. Try and keep it as flat as possible during the cutting process and then glue it down using a glue stick. This holds fine but can be removed easily if you want to later. No need to use the repositionable, I prefer the "permanent" glue sticks because with a metal to metal bond it will never be permanent anyway, but will hold perfectly fine for our needs. You can put teflon or even packing tape over this if you like.
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
After working with magnets in many applications. You may want to consider this. Magnets stick to the right type of steel. But the steel has to be a certain thickness for it to stick well. If it is too thin, perhaps like a thin layer of magnetic paint, it may not stick very strong to it. So please consider this when you are shimming. It is not just the thickness of the shim but also the surface area of the shim that determines a strong attraction between it and the magnet. Check it out.
egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
647 Posts

Profile of egoli
Quote:
On Oct 17, 2019, countrymaven wrote:
After working with magnets in many applications. You may want to consider this. Magnets stick to the right type of steel. But the steel has to be a certain thickness for it to stick well. If it is too thin, perhaps like a thin layer of magnetic paint, it may not stick very strong to it. So please consider this when you are shimming. It is not just the thickness of the shim but also the surface area of the shim that determines a strong attraction between it and the magnet. Check it out.

Sent you a PM - please read your messages

Ed
Signet
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Signet
I have shimmed my own shells with a super thin wafer and Teflon pad. I use it with a magnetic coin. The shell does not completely cover the side as it did without the shim. This has never been noticed when I've used it. It does make me a little nervous, though.
countrymaven
View Profile
Special user
840 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Another thing. Once I ordered some shim material. I found out the hard way that certain steels do not stick well to magnets.
I prefer just breaking a razor blade with pliers and sanding the sharp corners down. That steel will stay flat inside the coin because it is more brittle and hard. Some other types of softer shim material are hard to get truly flat. Also, before you glue it on, test it on a magnet. Hold the shim in place with your finger, touch it to the holdout or magnet (including any cloth you will have over it to soften the sounds) and see if the magnetic holdout or whatever has enough holding power.

With the new neodymium magnets, you can always upgrade the magnetic power. I use a holdout with 60 lb. holding power, neo magnets. With cloth and tape over it to dampen the sound. Boy does it work like a charm.
egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
647 Posts

Profile of egoli
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2019, countrymaven wrote:
Another thing. Once I ordered some shim material. I found out the hard way that certain steels do not stick well to magnets.
I prefer just breaking a razor blade with pliers and sanding the sharp corners down. That steel will stay flat inside the coin because it is more brittle and hard. Some other types of softer shim material are hard to get truly flat. Also, before you glue it on, test it on a magnet. Hold the shim in place with your finger, touch it to the holdout or magnet (including any cloth you will have over it to soften the sounds) and see if the magnetic holdout or whatever has enough holding power.

With the new neodymium magnets, you can always upgrade the magnetic power. I use a holdout with 60 lb. holding power, neo magnets. With cloth and tape over it to dampen the sound. Boy does it work like a charm.

Sent you a PM - please read
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » You can make Shimmed Shell (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL