The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Japanese Tea Ceremony Cups & Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2010-07-22 21:06, scottjenkins wrote:
How about a religious themed restaurant for kids? You could call it Chuck E. Jesus!

I like it!

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Or one in Israel called Cheeses of Nazareth.
"But there isn't a door"
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
I know this is an old thread, but this conversation needed a bit of factual input.
Let it be known that I, in no way, intend to offend anyone or their culture. I have done quite a lot of reading on the Tea Ceremony and it's history for use in the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism), a group that studies and recreates the Middle Ages.

The Chinese were the originators of the Tea Ceremony - or tea party, as it would more accurately be described.
Originally, it was an opportunity to take a break, gather and enjoy some tea. If someone knew how to play an instrument or sing or recite poetry, then entertainment was informally presented for the enjoyment of all. It was a laid back gathering of friends and family, to enjoy a moment together over a common beverage.

When the Japanese witnessed the Tea Ceremony, they did what they often did when they found a Chinese tradition that they liked: they took it and made it their own.
The Japanese, as a culture, are very ceremonial and love precise ritual. They took what started out as an informal tea party and developed it into a ceremony that had to be performed just so. This has inspired thousands to learn it's very precise methods and practice it in a way that would spark similarity among magicians.

To do a C&B routine as a Japanese Tea Ceremony would probably offend.
To do it as part of a Chinese Tea Party, it would most likely go over well, as long as the culture was shown the proper respect it deserves.

As with anything else, do some research. The worst thing that could happen is that you might waste some time. The best thing that could happen is that you honor those from whom you borrow.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Japanese Tea Ceremony Cups & Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL