The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Real Climategate Scandal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..24~25~26 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Way too big....
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2010-08-08 09:53, Dannydoyle wrote:

Well this does beg some questions doesn't it Payne? For example how is it that those who invented computers, didn't know that eventually we would get to the year 2000? It was a non issue.

This was a known issue for decades. A friend of mine who works for IBM remembers bringing up the issue in the seventies when he was learning to code.

Back then memory and media space were extremely expensive and it was more cost effective to save the date in a two digit format instead of a four. The logic was that by the time the roll over occurred all the computer systems and programs would have been replaced. It didn't happen that way.
Five years out people started realizing there was still a lot of equipment and hardware out there that wouldn't handle the date change correctly. My first work on th Y2K issue was with POS equipment. The software needed to be changed so that it recognized credit cards with an expiration date of 00 as being greater than 99. To accomplish this we needed to work with the banks and credit card authorization companies and agree on a new format for the information on the magnetic strip of your credit card. They implemented more complex anti fraud solutions in the strip at the same time.
After this I worked with billing and financial systems as well as checking hardware on GPS, video and various computer systems to assure that it would rollover without issue and replace the hardware that failed to do so.
In the end it was cheapness and lack of foresight that caused the Y2K issue. And yes, the media did blow it completely out of proportion. It was a problem for many businesses. But the world wide shutdown of all computer systems that was popularized by the press was mostly a myth. Primarily because any vital systems that might have failed because of the Y2K problem were recoded or replaced.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
On images :

It's not considered polite to 'hotlink' images, especially from smaller non-government sites. If you paste an image url, everytime that image is accessed, it's that site that pays for the bandwidth. They may delete the image or change it so that your image of two dolphins playing becomes an image of a sign saying "Stop stealing my bandwidth you inconsiderate *********".

http://imgur.com/ is a free site where you post images and then post the imgur link to message boards and blogs. They don't care about you using their bandwidth, nice chaps that they are.
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16252 Posts

Profile of tommy
Nobody can claim this was caused by global warming. On the other hand nobody can claim that it wasn't. Said Andreas Muenchow, professor of ocean science and engineering at the University of Delaware. But not doubt they will and go on from that and claim its man that made global warming, thought Tommy.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Where did she say that?

The only quote I read was "Prof Muenchow said it was difficult to be sure the event occurred due to global warming because records on the sea water around the glacier have only been kept since 2003."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16252 Posts

Profile of tommy
'Nobody can claim this was caused by global warming. On the other hand nobody can claim that it wasn't,' Muenchow said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a......w72bqnzC
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2010-08-09 02:04, MagicSanta wrote:
Way too big....

But it does capture the spirit at that size.

Well learned, Grasshopper.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-08-09 04:44, Nosher wrote:
On images :

It's not considered polite to 'hotlink' images, especially from smaller non-government sites. If you paste an image url, everytime that image is accessed, it's that site that pays for the bandwidth. They may delete the image or change it so that your image of two dolphins playing becomes an image of a sign saying "Stop stealing my bandwidth you inconsiderate *********".

http://imgur.com/ is a free site where you post images and then post the imgur link to message boards and blogs. They don't care about you using their bandwidth, nice chaps that they are.

I was not aware of this. I will hotlink cautiously.

John
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On 2010-08-09 09:30, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-08-09 04:44, Nosher wrote:
On images :

I was not aware of this. I will hotlink cautiously. (Though a link at the Café is likely only to produce 10-100 links in the lifetime of the thread, so it's probably a very small deal.)

John
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
Quote:
On 2010-08-09 08:40, tommy wrote:
'Nobody can claim this was caused by global warming. On the other hand nobody can claim that it wasn't,' Muenchow said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a......w72bqnzC

Thanks, Tommy.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-08-08 23:50, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-08-08 23:43, MagicSanta wrote:
How do you get those lil charts to appear?

Wishing makes it so. Smile

Actually, we could tell you the real way, but then Danny would go on again about the "elite class ... pointing out how we must be guided". Smile

Naw I am pretty sure you know the difference between being asked a question and providing an answer and just spouting off like an obnoxious jerk then hiding behind a little wink smiley face to pass it off as if nobody notices.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2010-07-31 12:32, landmark wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-31 11:40, Dennis Michael wrote:
One thing is certain...The world has change from the beginning of time and it will continue for many thousands of years.

Probably true, the question is, are humans going to maximize our time here?

So, I go back to my question which no one has yet answered:

If global warming were shown to be occurring significantly, but not largely man-made, should we take steps to try and change it?

Let's deal with first things first.

No, because we have no business INTENTIONALLY changing a natural cycle. Besides periods of warmth have historically been shown to be benificial to mankind.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16252 Posts

Profile of tommy
May I ask the believers here, how much doubt they have that man is causing significant amounts of global warming? Or are you 100% sure?

Tommy
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I am 97% sure.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16252 Posts

Profile of tommy
Whit

What is your 3% doubt based on?

:)

Tommy
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Junk science.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16252 Posts

Profile of tommy
Just science you mean Dan his 97% sureness is based on junk. Smile

I am 103% sure its a scam.

I am 97% sure Whit invented it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27152 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
But if 90% of anything is junk...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16252 Posts

Profile of tommy
This con is better than the movie The Sting.

It’s a con within con within a con within con within con, within……..well its got more layers than an onion.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27152 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It's an apple if you like red shiny things
It's an onion of you want layers of truth/meaning
It's a distraction plain and simple
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Real Climategate Scandal (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17~18..24~25~26 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL