The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Best self working card prediction effect (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
Can anyone suggest some good self working card prediction effects?

The only good one I know is Overkill by Paul Harris.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
<BEGIN RANT>
The Best self working card prediction effect, eh? I have no idea! How could I? First, I'd have to have knowledge of every one of them, and I'd have to have an objective way to determine which one is best. What a ridiculous question!
<END RANT>

Whew! With that said, here's one that's worthy of your consideration: Your Fateful Hour by Carlhorst Meier, described in Robert Giobbi's Card College Lighter. It's a nice variation on the classic Clock Trick. It has a sound theatrical structure, it will fool and entertain people, and it's dead easy to do.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
dobber
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of dobber
Magic For Dummies has a good one. The spectator shuffles the deck and Magician places an envelope on top of the deck with a prediction inside of it. Doesn't get easier.

BTW, I didn't find your question ridiculous at all. jmo
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Amen Barry.

Phil, here are a few killers for you:

Prior Commitment by Simon Aronson in his book Try the Impossible.

Detour de Force by John Bannon in his book Smoke and Mirrors

The Annihilation Deck by Cameron Francis

Just a word: Barry's reaction is warranted. You had titled your thread with the word "best". Not only would anyone have to know every possible prediction effect extant, which is an impossibility, more importantly, the term "best" is highly subjective. "Best" is defined by what works for you. The adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is so very true. I think Harris' Overkill is an excellent effect. If it does not work for you, then of course it is a good thing to find different effects/methodologies to the plot. There really never IS a "best" and that's a good thing.

Subjectively speaking, The Beatles are the best rock band ever, Willie Mays was the best baseball player, and Kurzweil Music Systems makes the best workstation synthesizers. You see how ANY of these could be refuted easily? To ME they are the "best" but another would counter with Led Zeppelin, Honus Wagner, and Korg.

To your credit in your post you used the terms "suggest" and "good". While the term "good" is also subjective, it is not a superlative, so you will actually get more options and you avoid sidetracking your own thread.

Barry is a good guy and one of the most knowledgeable magicians I have ever had the pleasure of corresponding with. Take his "rant" as a positive sort of tough love. That rant is truly invaluable wisdom.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
OK agreed the title of the thread could be better. The word "best" is very subjective

I find Overkill a good effect but I was just looking for any other variations of the prediction plot be it single card or multiple card predictions that are either self working or easy on sleights

Will definitely look into Bannon's Detour De Force and Aronson's 3 point spread
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Barry's friend: "Hey, where's the best place to eat around here?"

Barry: "The Best place to eat, eh? I have no idea! How could I? First, I'd have to have knowledge of every restaurant, and I'd have to have an objective way to determine which one is best. What a ridiculous question!

You must be a blast at parties.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Parody is wasted on the humor impaired...
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2010-07-17 13:55, magicphill wrote:
OK agreed the title of the thread could be better. The word "best" is very subjective

I find Overkill a good effect but I was just looking for any other variations of the prediction plot be it single card or multiple card predictions that are either self working or easy on sleights

Will definitely look into Bannon's Detour De Force and Aronson's 3 point spread

And Phil,
I mentioned Prior Commitment. It is very strong.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Phil,

Vlad's recommendation is an excellent one. Simon Aronson has created effects that are very fooling and generally require few or no sleights, but conversely require a lot of thought before and during the routines.

Prior Commitment is an excellent usage of Aronson's UnDo Influence principle. Try the Impossible contains other effects that make use of this principle as well. A couple of these effects that I particularly like are Queenspell and Euph-Oracle. But any of Aronson's stuff is great.

Instead of just riding on Vlad's coat tails, I'll provide my own recommendation as well. There is an effect called the Spectator's Card Trick from The Card Magic of Nick Trost. After reading it you should also be able to devise a way to do it without touching the cards a la Daryl's Untouched. It's a great prediction effect that requires no sleights, you just need to be able to tell one card from another.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Phil,

I have an effect that I perform as a prediction effect. It is at http://www.imentalism.com/e-books/cards/tocsnd I get amazing reactions to it and it involves no sleight of hand and everything can be examined. Thanks

Greg
MrBadGuy
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of MrBadGuy
I like Daryl's Untouched (I think that's the name of it). Simple card prediction where you never touch the cards. I think it is taught on Ammar's ETMCM Vol. 4. I would say completely impromptu and you NEVER have to touch the cards and the spectator even shuffles them before-hand. Simple, but blows people's minds.
prototype
View Profile
Veteran user
Rick Holcombe
320 Posts

Profile of prototype
I love these 3:

Quadruple Prediction, Steve Beam

LIIkelihood, Stewart James

43, Paul Hallas
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Let's not forget Stewart James classic "Miraskill" either.

So many additions have been developed to go along with this so there is loads of room for customization.

In fact, my friend Andrew Gerard fried me good back in January with an original touch on this classic.

I also second Aronson's "Prior Commitment". In fact, I really wish that one was all mine...LOL.

Cheers.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
If you only know of Overkill, you have much reading ahead. I wish you luck on your journey. There are hundreds if not thousands of prediction card effects in the literature. The ones listed above are good suggestions. Many are self working, many are not. My favourites are by Randy Wakeman, Jack Carpenter, Allan Ackerman, and Larry Jennings. Harry Lorayne has published some killers in this area. Check out his, "The Indicator" from Deck-sterity, an old favourite routine of Simon Aronson.
Rodney
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
And if you want to check out a prediction routine that many, over the years, have told me that they consider it "the best" (I never use "best" unless I know 'em all) check out my Amazing Prediction in Lorayne: The Classic Collection, Vol. 2. It may not be the "best," but it sure is a killer. HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
dobber
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of dobber
I agree, Sir. It is a killer. I have it on your Best Ever Collection Volume 4. The last revelation is the kicker!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I learned it years ago from Rim Shots, and like Harry writes, its just impossible that you could have predicted so many things. Well presented, its deadly.
Rodney
Picard
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Picard
This is Harry's performance of Amazing prediction.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk-PDqImyLI

It is self-working even though Harry throws in a few false cuts.
I watch that performance from time to time because it's such a good trick and so well done. His patter makes it look natural and non-mathematical, it never has a self-working feel to it.
Blueroyalty
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of Blueroyalty
Harry's Amazing Prediction is a really nice self working effect. And a real killer. Impromtu and yet so many outcomes. Lennart Greene Eye of the Stonehenge is also a nice impossible prediction effect.
Breather
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Breather
There's nothng wrong with stating what one belives to be the best, yes, its subjective, but that's what most of life is. What a depressing world where one cannot give their opinion on what is best. We talk about the best tricks on this site all the time; people's favourites, which tricks are stronger, those that are most effective, most magical, most clean, etc etc. Anyway, that's just my subjective opinion.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Best self working card prediction effect (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL