The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Up The Ante (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I'm posting this here because after reading the reviews of Up The Ante, I still don't get a feel for the complexity of the effect with regard to a beginner. I've learned with magic, that when it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Yet this effect is given a difficulty level of 2, meaning that it's easily accomplished (I think). In other posts I've said I'm not a card guy, but I'd like to have a few good card effects in my repertoire. So, simply put, without revealing the method, is all the hype (no sleights, no gaffs, spectator shuffles, etc.) true and can I as a beginner handle this seemingly easy routine that boasts such killer results? It doesn't seem to use a stacked deck, but I'm guessing some kind of setup is required prior to pulling the deck out of the box and handing it to the spectator. Appreciate your input. Thanks, Bob
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
magicphill
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of magicphill
Would like to know more on this one too as I'm also interested in the effect
ejohn
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta
723 Posts

Profile of ejohn
The hype is true. It does use a s---k, is easy to do, and is a very good trick.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Thanks ejohn you just convinced me to purchase it! Best, Bob

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Bob,

Remember me from the Tommy Wonder deck switch discussion? Up the Ante is an EXCELLENT effect.

The methodology is VERY easy, and, actually should NOT be presented as a "card trick."

Ejohn is a good salesperson, and, he is right. So, while you wait for your copy of Up the Ante....

My review of it and the thoughts of others are here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=159&69

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: There is NO sleight of hand in this whatsoever and no gaffs, no maths for you to remember. And yes, the spectator does shuffle the cards. Read my review, and the thoughts of others. Smile

PPS: There IS a part of the thread where I do joke about sleights. There are none, but, if you follow the thread you will see why Jan and I were having a go with some others in good fun.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Vlad, of course I remember you from Tommy Wonder's Deck Switch; I'm planning to order that with Up the Ante! I've read through parts of your review thread, but given that it's a lengthy thread, I skimmed it looking for more details on the method. You did very well in that thread not revealing even a hint as to the method, and at the same time, with your expertise, sometimes what seems simple to a pro, can confound the heck out of a beginner. So now that you've given me the right reasons to purchase UTA, I'm off to see the wizard... thanks Vlad! Best, Bob

Posted: Jul 19, 2010 10:43am
Vlad, I just purchased Up the Ante in pdf from Martyn Smith; I'm going to PM you with a question. Bob

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
I am unabashedly IN LOVE with Up the Ante.
As Vlad said, it should not be perceived as a "trick."
It is a killer routine.
The link Vlad supplied has a few of my posts.
My use of this astonishing routine has only grown since the time of my writing.
UP the Ante is a gem, a masterpiece.
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Thanks Panlives! Am working on it! Best, Bob

captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
589 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Bob et al,

...sorry, been away in deepest, darkest africa for a few days with no internet connection! Am happy to answer any questions regarding UTA although the boys seem to have done an excellent job anyway! Hope that it lives up to expectations for you.....

Best

Martyn
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Thanks Martyn, Vlad, Panlives! Y'all have been a great help! Best, Bob

panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
It is a special pleasure to write about Up the Ante.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I sent a PM to Martyn that I'd like to share with Vlad and Panlives...I tried it on my wife last night for the first time, before even performing it for myself. She's my toughest critic. In short, it blew her away! She knows all the "moves" and likes to think she can figure my stuff out. NOT UTA! Since then I've got six decks ready to go at any given time, anytime, anywhere. Y'all have given me a great effect! Can't wait to pull it on my next monthly poker game. Thanks folks, I love it! Best, Bob

Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Bob,

I HAVE to say it my friend: I told ya so!! Smile Martyn has unleashed a GREAT GREAT effect and I am SO glad you love it Smile

We have been talking about doing a supplementary work taking UTA in other directions. I have an approach with Tarot cards that is ALMOST there that I will be submitting to Martyn by summer's end. Panlives has recounted HIS presentation already to this KILLER effect, but, knowing Panlives as I have gotten to know him here, I sense he has a LOT of really intriguing hooks for this. I am not implying that UTA needs improving at all. But, this effect really does invite more thought.

Really, your thanks should go to Martyn. Panlives, Ustaad, Jan Forrester, and I, among others are people who love this effect. But it is Martyn who gave the community this fantastic effect.

I have to tell you a quick story Bob about how I came to this effect. I would read Martyn's posts talking about Up the Ante. So, I posted one day and stated, okay, I want to see a demo of this, I am not convinced. Welllll ... I watched the demo, was floored, and I will NEVER doubt Martyn Smith again Smile

There have been some GREAT effects released this year. I RARELY buy individual effects. I am a book guy with the occasional DVD here and there. But, this year has seen Silent Running, Hole Surprise, CAPtivated, Annihilation Deck, Final Countdown, and a few others. These are great effects, but, to me, Up the Ante is the effect of the year. Smile

So, thank you again Martyn!

Ahimsa,
Vlad
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4192 Posts

Profile of JanForster
And when you think that UTA was released last year it could be easy the routine of the last two years. I'm also far more the book guy, UTA was an exception after seeing the video. And how glad I am although I knew the principle! Smile Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-07-23 01:09, Vlad_77 wrote:
Bob,

I HAVE to say it my friend: I told ya so!! Smile Martyn has unleashed a GREAT GREAT effect and I am SO glad you love it Smile

We have been talking about doing a supplementary work taking UTA in other directions. I have an approach with Tarot cards that is ALMOST there that I will be submitting to Martyn by summer's end. Panlives has recounted HIS presentation already to this KILLER effect, but, knowing Panlives as I have gotten to know him here, I sense he has a LOT of really intriguing hooks for this. I am not implying that UTA needs improving at all. But, this effect really does invite more thought.

Really, your thanks should go to Martyn. Panlives, Ustaad, Jan Forrester, and I, among others are people who love this effect. But it is Martyn who gave the community this fantastic effect.

I have to tell you a quick story Bob about how I came to this effect. I would read Martyn's posts talking about Up the Ante. So, I posted one day and stated, okay, I want to see a demo of this, I am not convinced. Welllll ... I watched the demo, was floored, and I will NEVER doubt Martyn Smith again Smile

There have been some GREAT effects released this year. I RARELY buy individual effects. I am a book guy with the occasional DVD here and there. But, this year has seen Silent Running, Hole Surprise, CAPtivated, Annihilation Deck, Final Countdown, and a few others. These are great effects, but, to me, Up the Ante is the effect of the year. Smile

So, thank you again Martyn!

Ahimsa,
Vlad

Hi Vlad,

Thank you.

Your post reminds us, thankfully, that “Up the Ante” is not a one-trick pony.

I have already tipped some of my narrative approaches in another thread, but they are only a few of several scripts I use to anchor the routine.

As I wrote before, Up the Ante will help you to use higher-value verbal and psychological staging; it will enhance your ability to adapt to the moment, use jazz-scripting and make your routine comedic, challenge-magic, emotionally poignant or spooky as required.

I use the final “mirror-image” 13 card sequential reveal, with two participants, as a love story with a Mentalism subtext.

When the “Mentalism” part happens in the hands of the two participants (they match 13 pairs of cards after they shuffled and cut and you [the performer] never touch the deck)…stand back and watch the fireworks (and expletives) detonate.

Effect/routine of the year?

Yes.

Quote:
On 2010-07-23 07:35, JanForster wrote:
And when you think that UTA was released last year it could be easy the routine of the last two years. I'm also far more the book guy, UTA was an exception after seeing the video. And how glad I am although I knew the principle! Smile Jan

If Martyn is amenable, this can easily be re-released as an e-book with user thoughts, experiences, stories, scripts and a few other variations that can easily fill a couple of hundred pages.

My own performance notes are close to 75 pages, thus far.

Possible title? -

Raising the Ante
A treatise on performing "Up the Ante.”

Replete with stories, scripts, tips, hints, performer’s thoughts & experiences, variations and some secret work that will fry your audience.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Gents, you're inspiring me. Being the simple guy that I am, I don't have that multi dimensional vision for use of UTA. I don't have much of a problem with other magic, but cards, for me, do not permit me to tell a story, at least that I can come up with anyway. I'd be interested in knowing if/when you get that e-book on the market! Thanks Gentlemen! Best, Bob

captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
589 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Aw shucks...! Fellas, am only the conduit for your creativity; am convinced that you guys will come up with some superb routining based on the original idea. I, for one am very happy to become involved with a second e-book with all of your advancements. The thing that I love here on this Café is that so often one idea sprouts into so many intriguing things once the creative fuse is lit. Would love to see my creation flower from here so, please, keep those juices flowing!

Am eagerly awaiting any scripts/ideas/thoughts etc.

Am glad that you guys are so happy to 'talk this one up' as one or two magic publications gave it a bit of a rough ride, unfairly in my opinion - which is quite contrary to the rave reviews it gets from my audiences time after time (and have appeared on these pages,too!)! I wonder just how many magicians get put off by carelessly used words in a review, particularly when it is so clear that the reviewer didn't read the effect properly in the first place? Hopefully this thread might alert people to this...

Best

Martyn
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Put me on the list of the new e-book...ple-e-e-e-e-ze??? I can actually have fun with UTA just presenting it as a great bet! I can see myself doing it for seniors perhaps in an assisted living setting, getting the staff involved in the bets, keeping it at a few dollars max per bet, then when the staff loses, I donate the money to the facility! Or for any charity for that matter! Vlad, Ya did tell me so! Best, Bob

The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
UTA got a "rough ride" of a review? WOW! Well all I can say is it is a staple in my gambling routine. This is so fantastic and so easy to learn. I really like this and I remember being one of the first few to get it and I have to say I knew the Cap had something here. I always let my magic buddies know about it and they have ordered as well. Anyone on the fence still about this should get it.

Good magic to all,

Eric
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
589 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Eric, Good to hear from you again! Thank you for your kind words and to everybody for theirs, too. Yes, the Linking Ring gave a review, described as 'neutral' but it was very clear to me that the author of it had not done his homework and had done no more (at best) than skim-read my work; a review that not only contained factual errors but one that also accused me of not really understanding the principles on which my routine is based and of not really giving an explanation! Then the M-U-M magazine (society of American Magicians?) pretty much slammed it - both articles without my knowledge, too! Heaven knows how many people may have been put off buying UTA by these 2 reviews, which are so at odds with everything else written here and elsewhere and from personal experience - lots of it! - of audiences just loving the effect! Whilst not averse to a bad review here and there, I do expect that review to have been conducted fairly. Oh well, c'est la vie...

(See 'Pistols at Dawn, Mr Lelekis' in the International Brotherhood of Magicians section on the Café)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Up The Ante (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL