The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Favorite Ellusionist Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
chrisM
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of chrisM
In my opinion Ellusionist has come out with great videos. Brad is also, I think, a great teacher. I was wondering what everyone thought their favorite video was. Mine was Ninja 2. Smile
MasterOfMagic
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of MasterOfMagic
I liked the one where he didn't credit anyone. Honestly I think Ellusionist is more for laymen than magicians, which is quite sad because they do have some good material... it's just overpriced.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Either the one with no crediting or the one where no permission was acquired first. I can't decide. They're all so good.

P.S.- I won't be a total basher. From what I've heard, their Ambitious Card video seems to be pretty good. Many say they're changing their ways. I would really like to see that happen.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
chrisM
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of chrisM
I dunno.. I think it's more of a new style of teaching. Brad I guess only appeals to certain people. But like you guys said the crediting thing was bad, and I agree but I still think he deserves a bit more credit.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
A new style of teaching? LOL. It's not the teaching style; it's the lack of crediting and getting permission from the creators. That's not a style; that's lack of respect for the art of magic.
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
chrisM
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of chrisM
But that fact that he's not really in a boring setting. He's out on the street teaching. He has a style where it appeals to people. Maybe style is the wrong word but what I'm saying is everyone teaches differently. I find him to be unique - that's all. Just my opinion. Smile
mack10
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of mack10
Oh boy, here we go again! Politics.

Ellusionist's target is Laymen, NOT magicians! Laymen could care less who made what. Do you think magicians should do a move then say, this was created by Daryl... I don't think so... although I'll bet there are some so tight that they do that.lol.
chrisM
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of chrisM
Does it make you feel better when you know who invented something? I know that for me, I don't care who invented the sleight. If it's good and I like it great. Every magician has their goods and bads. Smile
MasterOfMagic
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of MasterOfMagic
I honestly like to know who invented a sleight, in case I ever meet them, or if I ever taught at a lecture or made a DVD or wrote a book. Crediting is important.
chrisM
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of chrisM
But in those cases, if it were your products, then you would probably do it so other people don't think you're sloppy for not doing it. If Brad chooses not to be sure about it then that's his choice and I guess you have to respect it.

that's just your opinion; it doesn't mean it's right. If you think he sucks great.... I just think that he should get a little more respect and if you don't think so, good. I don't care it doesn't mean I'm wrong and you're not either....it's that simple. Smile
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2109 Posts

Profile of marko
Quote:
Does it make you feel better when you know who invented something? I know that for me I don't care who invented the sleight if its good and I like it great.

I'm sorry to hear that. Crediting is important for several reasons. The most obvious thing is the ethical issue. Someone invented something you are using to your own gain (in Brad's case, making money) and should rightfully be acknowledged for it. Credits usually lead to encounters with other information (in your search for knowledge), which may lead you to other riches and expand your understanding of magic. Therefore, crediting is as much a value to the student as it is to the creator.
jacksorbetter
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
121 Posts

Profile of jacksorbetter
It is an important thing, but I don't think it is the MOST important thing.
chrisM
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of chrisM
Marko, I never thought of it like that. You are right. I'm sorry. But still I realize I am wrong about thinking it's not a big deal but Brad does get bashed a lot and I just think it's not really fair. He tries... he's a magician like all of us, so why do we always bash our own kind? Shouldn't we all get along? Smile
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Quote:
On 2003-06-30 00:21, chrisM wrote:
But in those cases if it were your prducts then you would prbably do it so other people don't think your sloppy for not doing it. If Brad chooses to not be sure about it then that's his choice and I guess you have to respect it.

Have to respect it? I hardly have to respect anyone improperly taking credit for other peoples' work.

It gets down to this. Most of us will never get rich performing close-up magic. We'll certainly never get rich for sharing a move or technique with the magical fraternity. In the absence of remuneration, creators DESERVE the credit for their discoveries. Failure to credit is the theft, not of money, but of one's rightful place in the cumulative history of our art.

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
This is the same thing as taking someone else's movie plot, reshooting it and making a bunch of money without crediting or getting permission from the writer.

This is why we have royalties and copywrites, to prevent someone from making money of someone else's hard work
JesseMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Oxnard, CA
124 Posts

Profile of JesseMagic
IMO...if it sparks interest in laymen to become magicians, then go for it...I know I'm getting away from the topic but the magic performed on those tapes is cool and is geared to be flashy and visual and I think that's what's "hip" in magic right now...but what do I know I've seen clips of CC2 that look great. Smile
CardFan
View Profile
Elite user
Found the Socks !
430 Posts

Profile of CardFan
I regret the time when people were crediting Cuniot for his fardier when you where boarding steamboats....
In 2 centuries the videos will have 2 hours of credit and 30 minutes of routines.
Great !
Aiming to become the only magician in the world that has ever produced the lost socks back from the dryer...
Cardjinx
View Profile
Loyal user
278 Posts

Profile of Cardjinx
lol... I have a serious problem with crediting, only because how do you really know who to credit? You may THINK that someone was the first to publish it, but what if they aren't??? Now you're crediting the wrong person! And what about all of those other countries, Japan, China, Germany, Russia etc... I'm sure they all had expert card people back in the day that invented stuff. What if they were the first and your giving credit to some yahoo that stumbled upon it!

And why isn't everything credited! Like the dealing grip, or biddle grip? Charlier cut, or fan? Why isn't the guy that invented cards credited?

Cardjinx Smile
chrisM
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of chrisM
I agree with Jessemagic, that magic on his tapes is good, and like he said if it inspires laymen to become magicians then that's great. I think there is nothing wrong with his videos but he could take more time in crediting.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2003-06-30 09:12, Cardjinx wrote:
And why isn't everything credited! Like the dealing grip, or biddle grip? Charlier cut, or fan? Why isn't the guy that invented cards credited?

Uh...

The "Biddle Grip" is named for Elmer Biddle.

The "Charlier Cut" was created by Charlier.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Favorite Ellusionist Video (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL