The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Difference between Hypnosis and Trance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
Concious... wanting to but NOT touching yourself
sub-concious... touching yourself but looking out for anyone watching
unconcious... touching yourself, but not giving a flying pig's fart whose watching

This is roughly speaking of course
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Yes but where does the "conscious urge/conflict" NOT TO come from"? It was put there by your parents its an unconscious programe as much as anythung. Like stopping at the kerb and looking right and left. Its your parents inside your head an unconscious part.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
What you're telling me this is incestious?!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Although I (gasp!) agree with MP, Shane is also right when he writes, that when talking to an "average person and say 'unconscious,' they think they are physically knocked out. 'Subconscious' is a safer word."

According to communications theory and general semantics, it's the "duty" of the person doing the communication to make sure that the person receiving the communication understands what is being communicated. This makes sense as the person receiving the communication can't know what the person doing the communication means unless it is fully explained. So if you're just talking to an "average" person in passing, Shane is right.

However, as a good communicator (which, IMO, hypnotists should be), it's important (again IMO) to clearly define your terms, especially when common words get specialized meanings.

Respectfully, I don't think that you're going to be talking about hypnosis, the conscious, the unconscious and the subconscious in casual talk. Rather, you'd be specifically talking about hypnosis. Since most people have mistaken ideas about hypnosis thanks to the media, TV, movies, and bad novels, it's important to define terms.

So if you're talking about these ideas, saying something like "When I say 'conscious mind' I mean that part of you which focuses in your thoughts and the outside world right now while the 'unconscious mind' means that part of you which controls everything else" or something like it.

YMMV
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Unconscious means anything that's out of your awareness at any moment. I also believe that your unconscious mind decides what to pay attention to at any moment. In other words it controls your conscious mind through unconscious filters, urges and perceptual programmes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Difference between Hypnosis and Trance (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL