The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Seeking wand recommendations (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2010-07-24 12:33, MrBadGuy wrote:
Hey, Bill, thanks for the tips. I don't have a good electronics store around me but I do have a hobby shop so I will look into the aluminum tips thing. Like I said, it doesn't bother me immensely, but if I have the time and materials it might be something to try to get perfection for my taste.
Cheers!

You are most welcome. There is another way to do this that isn't quite as complicated as turning down the center of the rod on a lathe; however, it would require a special kind of solder and flux that may be even more difficult to find than the heat shrink.

There is a special low temperature, high strength solder called "Sta-Brite" that will work on aluminum if you have the proper flux. If you can find the aluminum tubing that will slide over the rod that your wand is made of, and you can get the heat shrink off without damaging it, make the new tips and solder them in place with the "Sta-Brite" solder. You will need a propane or MAPP torch to do this.

Once that is done, then put the heat shrink back onto the rod or put on new heat shrink. It's a lot of trouble, so I would go with the epoxy or superglue.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Rannie Raymundo in Manila also makes very nice wands and he showed us several pictures here a few years ago
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
rklew64
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of rklew64
Hi karnak,
Consider a pair of drumsticks - just a fun 2-3 day project of spray cans of paint and a spray can of varnish, say maybe 2-4 coats for each can. looks cool enough and to make it corny, use a silver pen and sign your name on it and then spray varnish it over. This might be a fun way to getting into more substantial wands while you digest all the awesome wand suggestions given above and recover from some of the sticker shock of these wands.
I'm lucky to own a few of the wands (even a couple of Harry Potter wands from the WB website-yep, I said it) mentioned here and one of my favorites is from Moonlight because it is gaffed.
Good Luck. now I'm going to my 7-11 for some wands!

oh, one more thing, wands do not always have to be that iconic black shaft and white tips, my opinion. A rather straight branch with a knot near the bottom and a little work makes for a very magical wand!
jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2109 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Michael at Moonlight Magic does great work. You can see them at the RnT2 website.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The way your wand is made often is determined by what you are planning to do with it. For example, a wand for the ring on the stick requires that there be no protrusions on it.

BTW, when getting drumsticks, look for timbale sticks and/or "rock knockers." These don't require any alteration, just paint, if you even want to do that.

Gazzo uses multiple layers of electrical tape so the wand will hold together if it breaks during a performance.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
Last year I got the people at Owen Magic Supreme to make me a custom wand: 16" ebony with sterling silver tips. It's the wand I've always wanted, a real classic style. A little expensive for some, perhaps, but well worth it for the individuality and the timeless look and feel, and it will last a lifetime. Highly recommended.

G
"I suggest you watch very carefully..."
BCS
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of BCS
G… How have you been, I have not seen you in a while. The CM Cups are still loved; did you find the piece you were looking for?

Take care,
Bruce
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I have several wands from many different makers including Porper and Rannie. The one I find myself using most often when strolling came with the Pheonix cups. I didn't care for the cups, but man I love that wand. I also love my Tabman wand with .38 shells on the tips.
Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
Quote:
On 2010-07-26 22:36, BCS wrote:
G… How have you been, I have not seen you in a while. The CM Cups are still loved; did you find the piece you were looking for?

Take care,
Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Fine thanks, and you? Oh man, have I found the pieces!

Best

G
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I may have to consult with Mr. Zagorsky about a custom wand. He is a very skilled machinist, mechanic and woodworker.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Levity
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Levity
Every time I hold the wand he made for me, I feel confident and in control...I think that's the sign of a brilliant wand...
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
My preferance by far are the wands made by Thomas Wayne. His stuff is a work of art. Most of them are done in exotic hardwoods, some with silver tips some even with mastadon ivory. His stuff is totally custom so you can get them made however you want.
A nuber of years ago he made a wand, I believe it was for Bill Malone, that had small rings of Comedy/Tragedy masks near each tip (all inlay work) I saw one that he made later on that made me laugh, it was exactly the same, except the masks were all tragedy.
Matthew Olsen

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2705 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
<sigh> I'd love a TW wand! His work is exquisite! Google "Jurassic Lizard Cue" and prepare to be stunned!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
By the cue or the comments? Smile
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Portland
662 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Quote:
On 2010-11-03 15:49, cupsandballsmagic wrote:
<sigh> I'd love a TW wand! His work is exquisite! Google "Jurassic Lizard Cue" and prepare to be stunned!

Wow... yea that's impressive!

-Lee

http://www.outofsleight.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Seeking wand recommendations (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL