The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Trouble tearing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
I’ve been practicing Osterlind’s PCT and this is one of the first center tears I’ve worked on. Previously I’ve just used the Acidus Novice but thought getting the peak as you are tearing would work well for what I need it for.

My main question is paper used. Richard goes over it briefly but I’ve come across a personal difficulty. One thing mentioned was cutting index cards to business card size and using those, although that’s a good idea I find it difficult to tear (along the two sides folded together). Because it’s humid up here in MA, sweaty hands and the paper absorbs a little moisture I assume that’s why or I’m just very weak haha.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any tips or a different paper suggestion?

Thanks for any help.
Shawn
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I believe he sells his own PCT pads on his site - so I'd reckon they might help you out? $4 per block if I remember rightly...
I've asked to be banned
ELima
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
167 Posts

Profile of ELima
Agree with Iain. These pads are perfect, and can be used as "billets" too. Once you get it, many types of paper can be used.

Endre
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Try cheaper index stock if your are starting with index stock, try rotating the paper at the start so that the paper grain is oriented the opposite way, and try beveling the edges (if there are any to bevel) to start your tear.

Or try a different peek/tear that has fewer paper constrictions. Think Pink or John Wells' come to mind as they can be done with pretty much any paper.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Post-It notes work well also. I've used the PCT with everything from cheap newsprint to thick cardboard (That was TOUGH!) so I think it's just a matter of practice.

*jeep!
-Grandpa
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf

--Grandpa Chet
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
I e-mailed Osterlind and he mentioned Post-it's will work fantastic despite the stickum on it.

Thank you for the help everyone
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
Quote:
On 2010-07-24 14:42, smullins wrote:
I e-mailed Osterlind and he mentioned Post-it's will work fantastic despite the stickum on it.

Thank you for the help everyone

I have a huge block of no-stick-um post-it's that I got for a few dollars at the stationary store. They work very well, but they are not at all opaque.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Trouble tearing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL