The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » When you were a complete beginner, who did you practice on? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MrHoudini666
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of MrHoudini666
I've managed to convince a couple of friends to let me hypnotize them... and maybe my mom as well, lol!

But how else am I supposed to find subjects? What I really want is practice hypnotizing strangers, because that is ultimately my goal (become a stage hypnotist).
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10069 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Often times trying to hypnotize family and friends is more difficult than working with complete strangers, as they don't take you seriously and know you (not as a hypnotist). Also it's hard to get a true reading or gauge of response from family and friends as they will either have a tendency to try to "play along", or will end up not being serious. It's also not good at all that you had to "convince them" to let you do this.
MrHoudini666
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of MrHoudini666
Yes, those are all weak points where my situation is concerned... That is why I was asking for advice on finding volunteers.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10069 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
One of the methods I suggest to the students I train, coach or mentor is to post an ad or fliers seeking people (subjects) who wish to to be hypnotized who would like to participate in demonstrations of relaxation and suggestibility... Find or rent a decent non-threatening location and conduct this very professionally like a focus group or professional survey.

There are a few more particulars to it than that but that is the general idea. This allows you many opportunities and possibilities.

Again, it should go without saying that you should be properly trained and confident enough to present yourself professionally with credibility. I usually recommend this under my supervision.
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Save your money. Get an extra job. Cut out going to movies or clubs for a couple of months. In no time you'll have enough to go to an in-person training where you'll not only have a chance to hypnotize several people, you'll also learn more in a few days than you could with reading or watching videos for months, you'll have an expert watching and correcting any problems, and you'll experience being hypnotized yourself.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20486 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
As for "who" to use when I learned I did this.

My mentor (I had one on one study, not a "course".) had me get together a group of my "friends, friends". People they know who you don't know. Pretty much strangers. Have a party, and tell them the purpose, and do the show.

It is a nice safe way to find willing subjects. This is if you want to do a show. As for just finding people who randomly hypnotise, I have no idea.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
not a stupid user, a special user.
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
"getting off the ground" can be an awkward task, and finding will subjects can also be difficult.

It appears that those who already know you will not see you as "The Hypnotist" (something which appears to be rather important) and this may hold you back.

I´ve read that you need to be able to "fake it until you make it" - i.e. fake the confidence in yourself and your abilities until such times as you acquire experience. If you can do this then well and good, if not then you should probably get some training as dmkraig suggests. I think this is the best option, and one I´m currently pursuing (I´m a begginer too).

As for finding subjects - a way I found is this: when attending a party or night out, have a quiet word with one of your friends who is going along, and have them agree to introduce you to some of their friends (people who don´t know you) - but they should introduce you as "A Hypnotist" - this will build expectation, and if you´re lucky, THEY will approach YOU and ask for a demonstration.

If you dabble in other sorts of magic, then you have an "out" if the hypnosis doesn´t turn out to be successful.

I´ve tried on some friends - have had mixed results.
I´ve tried on strangers, and had mixed results.
Tried on my girlfriend - got some good results with "convincers" but nothing more.
If you never fail, you're not trying hard enough.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
If you know what you're doing (that would take a day) then you won't need to fake it.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
Who did you practice on bobser?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
You do not need to build expectation. You can tell people at a party that you have just trained or are training as a hypnotist. Then ask them if they would all take part in a few experiements. Tell them you can't guarantee that it will work but lets have ago anyway.

That way there is no pressure on you and people will go along and not try to challenge you. You might get a pleasant surprise.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
On myself. Self Hypnosis. Really.

Take a Hypnosis course from a reputable Trainer, solves most of the problems in beginning Hypnosis.

Did for me.

All the best. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Quote:
On 2010-07-25 12:38, Owen Mc Ginty wrote:
Who did you practice on bobser?

Hi Owen,
Like most people I dithered around for far too long. This was because of fear of failure. That's it by the way. No matter what newbie's say. That's the reason always. They never try it enough. Or in some cases: 'fear of success' but that's a discussion for another day perhaps.
When I finally came to my senses I literally 'attacked' anything that moved. I can now honestly say that I've failed at hypnotic inductions more than anyone I know. And that's something I'm immensely proud of.
Ask yourself the question: "If I knew that if tried to hypnotise this person here and now and could not fail would I do it?" Now we all now the answer (I'm talking newbie's here). So: BE the hypnotist, always.
By the way, as I write this I've just got back from Carnoustie (within the hour)where I did some hypnosis on two people... neither of who went under. Guess what? I'm fine, perfectly fine.
But Danny Doyle's earlier answer, for me, was just about spot on: try to get next to 'friends of friends'.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2010-07-26 00:42, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
On myself. Self Hypnosis. Really.

Take a Hypnosis course from a reputable Trainer, solves most of the problems in beginning Hypnosis.

Did for me.

All the best. Smile

Best answer on both accounts..
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Thanks MP... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Owen Mc Ginty
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Owen Mc Ginty
Bobser - you´re spot on. Fear of failure is the reason I don´t get more practice.

Out of curiosity, when you say neither of those two people went under, what happened then? did you have an "out"?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Yes he molests them....more of an in really.
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
Hey mindpunisher that was a long time ago and I've done my time ok?
Yes Owen there's always outs (something I'm actually writing about right now (look out for me a few months from now).
I know there's a saying that says: "They're either hypnotised or they are not. But in my experiences there's a whole load of things in there that might argue: "Yes, but how much?"
Now here's the thing. I went for a beer last night around ten, got into a conversation at the bar and in no time had four people standing there in hypnosis (pauses to allow for one liners from mindpunisher).
So, you know, my intention was to hypnotise in the afternoon but they couldn't go in yet whilst simply having a beer and a chat 4 people just fall into the soup. That's why I find it so completely fascinating.
And here's the thing, as I'm trying to leave the owner of the pub is asking for my card and wanting to know if I'd be remotely interested in doing a show. No doubt you'll hear this story time and time again from all veteran zappers.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I met Bobser for lunch recently. He didn't hypnotise anybody but he did constantly molest everybody in the bar with spoon bending vanishing hankies and non stop hugs. The man is a totally mad... machine.
Engali
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Engali
Quote:
On 2010-07-27 05:18, mindpunisher wrote:
Yes he molests them....more of an in really.

I have to admit I lol'ed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » When you were a complete beginner, who did you practice on? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL