The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Books with an essayistic approach? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
There are some excellent suggestions in this thread already. A few other works presented in this manner that have not already been mentioned are: 'Mind Reading', 'Mystery by Association', snd 'Secrets of Indirection' by Kenton Knepper, and 'Invisible Readings' by Enrique Enriquez. Although this latter work is geared more specifically to people who give readings, a lot of the ideas have had a major influence on how I approach my mentalism in general now.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2511 Posts

Profile of Waters
Quote:
On 2010-07-25 18:57, r1z08 wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-25 18:10, Lord Of The Horses wrote:
Paul Brook, Bob Cassidy, Jerome Finley, Rob Domenech, Sean Waters...

Those five people were the first off the top of my head.

Thanks for the mention!

-rob

ditto that!

Sean
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1538 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
The Busch Factor by Richard Busch.

Barry
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
Quote:
On 2010-07-25 18:09, Zebaztian wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-25 06:34, Dick Christian wrote:
In addition to Cassidy's Artful Mentalism I would also strongly recommend his "Fundamentals of Professional Mentalism" which is reasonably priced ($29 as I recall) and is downloadable from http://www.Lybrary.com. Although it is an e-book (.pdf format) it can easily be printed if, like me, you prefer reading hard copy instead of a computer screen.

This ebook hasn't been published as a real book? And with a real book I don't mean a pile of paper sheets which I printed myself.

Sorry Zebaztian, but as far as I am aware it is available only as a downloadable (but printable .pdf format) e-book. I'm sorry if that bothers you and can only say that by passing it up you are missing out on one of the best compilations of just the sort of thing you profess to be looking for. It's clearly your call.
Dick Christian
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
I like reading books in bed, and A4-format isn't handy. Besides books look better on the shelf than a pile of paper. That I like books is not a matter of content, if it comes to content, an ebook is just as good as a real book. A real book is more convenient to read and it gives a bit of luxuary in life.
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
That I don't mind ebooks is proven by the fact that I published a few myself (but them!). A real book is another medium. That's the way I see it. If one asks for a good movie, you don't answer 'Go to a concert by Pavement.'

On the other hand, Cassidy's Fundamentals can be handy - so thanks for the tip, Dick. I'll put it on my general reading list (where ebooks and real books go side by side).
My mind reading routines: http://www.basjongenelen.nl/goocheltrucs/. Scroll a bit down to the English routines.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2850 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Since you aren't totally adverse to the ebook format, Zebaztian, may I be so bold as to recommend my own Suggestabilities? The format is an essay followed by an effect illustrating points from the essay, with one tale on its own at the end. It has consistently been one of my most popular ebooks, though it looks like Trybil may give it a run for the money. It is certainly my most personal work.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Thanks for the nice comments about my writings. After reading Bill's review I am seriously considering picking up a copy and reading it myself.

Good thoughts,

Bob
DrTodd
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of DrTodd
Mentalism Incorporated gives you essays and routines, as well as the back story development for a coherent and well organised performance.

In addition to those mentioned, you may like my A5 sized little number, which can be found here:

http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=833075

and until 15 August, Lulu is offering 15% off with this discount code:

BEACHREAD305

Best wishes

Todd
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
I'm reading Cassidy's Artul mentalism and I really enjoy it. Esp. the principia - they are great. This is what a good book on mentalism is about: routines with explanation and a more philosophical approach in between. Off course there are routines in a mentalism book, and lot of books with only routines are great to read and use. But when the routines are placed in the light of how things work and what the audience will think, then you have a really good book in your hands.

I'm writing a book myself, but I'm afraid it's going to be an 'only routine' book.
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
Quote:
On 2010-07-29 16:59, DrTodd wrote:
Mentalism Incorporated gives you essays and routines, as well as the back story development for a coherent and well organised performance.

In addition to those mentioned, you may like my A5 sized little number, which can be found here:

I've got your book in my Lulu-chart. It comes with my next Lulu-sending (shipping costs with Lulu are high), which will be in about two weeks or so.

BEACHREAD305

Best wishes

Todd
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
Although not specifically focused on mentalism, I would strongly recommend Fitzkee's The Trick Brain, as it gets you to think magically to design your own works. I would also suggest Eugene Burger's books.
AlluTallu
View Profile
Veteran user
Finland
396 Posts

Profile of AlluTallu
Another vote for Mentalism Incorporated (Both volumes) and Maximum Entertainment Smile
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
You guys who don't like ebooks might want to consider Amazon's latest and cheapest Kindle. It doesn't have 3G built in (but it does have WiFi) and you're going to be loading your own books into it anyway. Here in The States they're going for $140. I'm letting a few months go by to see if any bad bugs show up and if it passes the bug test I'm buying one.

You can have your entire ebook library on it and there's a kindle PC reader too so you can keep everything backed up. Anything you buy from Amazon is automatically backed up on their servers. And of course there are thousands of public domain classics from Project Gutenberg and the like you read too.

Just a thought.

Rocky
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
Rick Maue
View Profile
V.I.P.
Pittsburgh, PA
584 Posts

Profile of Rick Maue
Greetings,

It is nice to see a thread like this. When I read (or for that matter, write) a book on mentalism, the effects are usually the least important part to me. With that said, I agree that Bob Cassidy's offerings are certainly in the must-have category.

Keep the change,
Rick
Check out what is happening at Deceptions Unlimited

www.deceptionsunlimited.com
Zebaztian
View Profile
Special user
The Netherlands
655 Posts

Profile of Zebaztian
Quote:
On 2010-08-29 04:33, Zebaztian wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-29 16:59, DrTodd wrote:

I've got your book in my Lulu-chart. It comes with my next Lulu-sending (shipping costs with Lulu are high), which will be in about two weeks or so.

BEACHREAD305

Best wishes

Todd

Strange, this text:

Shouldn't have been in the quotation.
OnTiltSoon
View Profile
Special user
Barcelona
544 Posts

Profile of OnTiltSoon
I started reading 'Taking Center Stage' today. Only 5 chapyers into it, but looks awesome!
- Joaquín Gasa Thomas
AlluTallu
View Profile
Veteran user
Finland
396 Posts

Profile of AlluTallu
Started reading Paul Brook's Alchemical Tools a few days ago and I love it. I have read almost 200 pages and there haven't been any effects so far. Instead I have learned many secrets about succesful performing Smile Thanks Paul!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Books with an essayistic approach? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL