The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cup care (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ClayC
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of ClayC
Hey guys, I was wondering if any special care is needed to make copper cups last. I have a patina on both of my sets. I live in Illinois so there is no salty air to worry about corroding the cups, I was just wondering if there is any special maintainance needed for cup care. I just tried waxing a set, I wasnt sure how it would go so I tried it on my penguins. I used turtle spray wax and it took seconds and worked pretty well.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Patina won't hurt copper cups, unless it develops into actual corrosion. Patina actually protects your cups from corroding. Renaissance Wax is one of the best media to keep the patina at a status quo.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Thanks for the info, Bill.

What are your thoughts on the aesthetics of a patina vs. shiny copper?
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's completely personal. For cups that I work with a lot, I allow them to patinize. I really like the look of cups that have a 20 year old patina. Actually, after about a year or so, the appearance doesn't change much.

A dark patina doesn't reflect things you don't want the spectators to see.

OTOH, it also depends on the individual set of cups. Some cups just look better when they are shiny.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

ClayC
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of ClayC
Thanks bill. What I was talking about was waxing a set without polishing or removeing the patina. I just don't want my cups corroding but from what I am gathering that takes a long time
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You can both protect the patina and keep it at a particular point by waxing it. Regular carnauba wax is good for this, but Renaissance wax, expensive though it may be, is much easier on most surfaces than waxes that are made for other purposes.

Corrosion tends to occur most often when there is a water droplet or an acid droplet that gets on a surface and remains there.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

MrBadGuy
View Profile
New user
Atco, NJ
86 Posts

Profile of MrBadGuy
I've had Johnson cups for years (brass). I remember when I first got them they were soooo shiny and bright they almost looked like white gold! I was so upset when they first started to tarnish (NOT corrode). I applied a metal cleaner immediately (Noxon), but with constant use it didn't last long. Finally I gave up and realized that, like Bill said above, I actually like the patina look much better. There's just something more classy and elegant about cups that look like they've been around. The most I do now is wipe them down with a metal polishing cloth -- it doesn't take the patina off but just removes anything that might cause tarnish like water, oils, acids, etc. You can get such cleaners and cloths at a craft store, walmart or a music store.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you want to save a little money, get a bundle of microfiber cloths. You can get them at your favorite Wal-Mart. They are great for polishing cups and taking care of all sorts of other things.

BTW, some people don't like the look of tarnished brass. I'm not necessarily one of them. I have a really nice RnT II Baby Don Alan chop cup that I use when I perform at the hospitals. It is brass and has acquired a nice, hand-rubbed patina over the past four or five years.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Quote:
On 2010-07-27 15:52, Bill Palmer wrote:
You can both protect the patina and keep it at a particular point by waxing it. Regular carnauba wax is good for this, but Renaissance wax, expensive though it may be, is much easier on most surfaces than waxes that are made for other purposes.

Bill turned me onto Renaissance wax and I have "frozen" the patina on my Sisti's with it. It works very well indeed and a tub will last you a long time.
Magic Researcher
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Magic Researcher
For those interested ... Renaissance Wax is on sale ($10 off) at Woodcraft through August 28, 2010.
MR
Repeating a falsehood often and loudly does not make it true.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Thanks for the heads up.

BTW, Renaissance Wax comes in two different sizes (in the US -- there may be a giant economy size somewhere in the UK). The 65ml size, which is about 2 ounces usually sells for about $20.00 or so. Basically, the nice folks at Woodcraft are selling the large size for the price of the small size. I'm going to visit my local store this afternoon and pick some up.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Thanks MR. Mine's a 200ml tub Bill. I wish we had a Woodcraft here!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24227 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
They do have nice toys and supplies. More than that, they generally have people working for them who know their stuff.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

jazzy snazzy
View Profile
Inner circle
run off by a mob of Villagers wielding
2108 Posts

Profile of jazzy snazzy
Woodcraft has free shipping today on orders of $25. or more.

They also sell SHAPTON sharpening stones and my pet gizmo, the Sharp Skate sharpening system for you woodworkers.
"The secret of life is to look good from a distance."
-Charles Schulz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cup care (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL