The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I've moved people to tears with my Cold Reading... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Tears sometimes come from CR when you nail a name etc (direct hit). I had some cry from thought up images of a person etc. Its my personal moral dilemma then to tell them I am entertaining only etc. I feel it will happen to the best if they are good at what they do.

I agree with Alpha about advice and guiding people to make decisions. Please refrain if that is what is happening. Entertainment is just that.

Respectively submitted as IMO

G Man
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I'm certainly no 'master' of cold reading, there are people far better at it than me around here, but thanks for the nod alpha aphex.

Regarding 'an emotional reaction' from people, I've had people go teary eyed just when I've revealed a name of someone using a peek - and it's been their late mother or something like that. This can happen quite often, but here's the thing - when you're dealing with any kind of mentalism you are going to get SOME kind of reaction, and quite often it's going to be more than a card trick in the way it is perceived.

So when you perform mentalism, you are in emotional territory - and you should be prepared for this kind of stuff. Even a drawing dupe could be personal, depending what the person drew.

There are also people who just seem to cry at anything. However, to purposefully make people cry is another thing. To give Pakar some credit here without all calling him out as a bad reader, some people are just very emotional and you can catch them on a bad day. It doesn't mean you 'drove' them to being an emotional state- they may already be in one.

Whenever you frame an effect with 'something personal to you' such as a name, drawing, childhood memory etc you must be prepared for the consequences, and that's not just readings.
Yannou
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of Yannou
I think you should have some sort of system (palm reading, tarot spread etc), give people an uplifting reading based on that and not much more. Try to avoid letting them ask questions. There was this guy in Belgium who had learned how to read Tarot cards and thought he'd make some extra money by reading cards for a psychic hotline. He was expecting things like teenage girls asking about boyfriends and that sort of thing. His very first caller asked if her husband should continue his chemotherapy or not. The man quit doing readings right then and there. I don't know about you, but I for one don't even want to skirt around questions like that. Better try to avoid them all together.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
'I don't know'

I have no idea why people think that the moment you even mention the fact you do readings that you have the ultimate answer to everything

'I'm not comfortable answering that question' also works. As does 'consult your GP' or 'you should seek professional advice'.

honesty honesty honesty - not that hard really

NOW here's the other thing - what if you give a reading to the lady with the dilemma, but she doesn't ask the question and keeps it 'secret' - so only she knows what the reading is 'really about'

Whether someone asks a question or not, only they know truly the connections they themselves are creating with what you say and what is happening in their own lives - you can never truly know
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
As others said, readings can be deadly.

The other day, despite a gazillion disclaimers (dodges MC cabbage throwers), with a slight warm reading and doing a variation of dark memory by ol' Bascome, a group of high school students who claimed they believed none of this "crap" all started asking to have their palms read, demanding it in excitement, and one even asked if I was a prophet.... yeah, they were all devout.... I was doing some simulations to demo psychiatric things... and still, this occurred. I felt compelled to explain to them in detail regarding the fact I was not a prophet or anything mystical... despite as mentioned, a gazillion warnings, framings, disclaimers and whatever....

Even after years of doing this, I am surprised how dangerous this stuff is when done on vulnerable people....

I think I might go back to do gambling demos.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2010-07-27 02:30, alpha alex wrote:
I am a psychologyst and hypnotherapist and I think this is
awfull and disgusting but then again
this thread isn't impressive coming for a guy that always supports psychic dumbness and hates exposure

no need for making a client cry, why is that?
just to tell your friends? just to post it here? how did you help them?
oh sorry.. of course.. you don't have a master nor a degree, you do not think there is a responsability do you? you just believe is entertainment.. just like doing a card trick.. incredible.. you just bought some pdfs and some dvds and you think you get to do that...

to close this rant.. nothing better than
Julian Bev Moore
�I've never moved people to tears with my cold reading. Does that make me a good or a bad reader?�
this is comming from a guy that is a master in the art of cold reading
so there is no need in doing that..
there is really no need

I used to do a death or alive test until I realize most of the people kept thinking in the dead person..
there is really no need to shake up your spectators like that.

you should never guide people in making any decision.. who the hell are you? just a guy that can do some tricks that's it.. stop it!!!
you are not better than any other clown or juggler helping a guy making decisions.. STOP IT !!!

You assume a lot without ever having met me.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
backinblack
View Profile
Special user
910 Posts

Profile of backinblack
@ Baboum: well, discussing is for me more a sort of straight pro and contra talk about an issue. active listening is more a sort of 1 person talks and the other inquires the statements at some points. but you said something similar with your own words..

@ alpha alex: "you should never guide people in making any decision.. who the hell are you?" - there are peoples who do not like to go to a psychologist. you really want that these people should not have the choise to go to a person they like to mention their problems to? that is not what I understand about freedom of choise for each individual. 1 more question to you: you never had a client cry when he/she talked about his/her experience or when you made a request related to the experience?
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Just for the record, I don't go into the Cold Reading (or any Mentalism) to make anyone cry...

It happens from time to time, hence the question here... I'm sometime surprised by it. It is not a target of my performance.

"Guiding people" is about giving them permission to find their own answers. I actually gently guide them to find Professional help if the situation seems right...

I actually guide them to my Hypnotherapist Trainer (the one I trained under)...

alpha alex, if you had asked POLITELY what my background was, I would've mentioned these facts.

For you to come out and attack me on an open Forum like this shows me what kind of person you are...

Asking me "who the hell are you?" deserves this retort...

"Who the hell are you?" to ask me that?

Sheeshh... Get off of your high horse already...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
backinblack
View Profile
Special user
910 Posts

Profile of backinblack
@ Pakar Ilusi: agree with your points. just to clarify that: I wrote in a post before " from my point of view the reader has the role of a lifestyle-advisor. it is up to him to give advice so people have more opportunitys they dare to think of. ". so if a person shows up that has not some probs with their lifestyle but with their psychical healths the advice would be to go to a psychologist/psychiarist. getting this advice from someone who is a sort of authority in the eyes of the sitter may increase the chance that the sitter really goes to such a person. at least I would tell them of course that it should be someone who has its inner balance. sometimes it is easy to recognize that a psychological adviser does not have this. not the best situation to help others, right?
james1a
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of james1a
Alpha alex:
I see you are a psychologyst, could you let me know which therapeutic paradigm you use when counselling clients?
james1a
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Ok... this isn't going to devolve into "Its fiddler crab season!!!" is it?
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2010-07-26 09:42, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
I've been moved to tears many times hearing what magicians call "cold reading". Smile

That would be me... Smile Getting there though. Smile Last summer I said that cold reading... Cough cough, never mind... Much more inline thanks to Julian's excellent book, James Bond Classic Reading. Smile
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Quote:
On 2010-07-26 19:05, mindpunisher wrote:

Many years ago I did a stint doing psychic fayres. I over heard one psychic (lifestyle advisor) tell this female that her husband would have an afair within two years and that she should think about leaving him now. That was enough for me. I ended my reading career right there and then.

Who wants to be associated with lunatics like that? And that wasn't an isolated reading. To make matters worse the "clients" these Fayre's attracted couldn't afford what they were charging. A lot of them needed real therapy.

If you were to truly disassociate from "lunatics" then you'd be hard pressed to find any career, because clearly there are "lunatic" lawyers, doctors, politicians, police officers, car mechanics, salespeople, scientists, hypnotists, teachers, psychologists, magicians, mentalists, clowns, and on and on.

A reader like that hurts herself, who is going to recommend her?

"Hey, Marge, I went to this great psychic the other day, here's her card, you've got to try her, she told me my husband was going to have an affair within the next two years and suggested I leave the cheater now! She's great!"

You didn't "overhear" what she told the reader before that. Maybe she told the reader that her husband had cheated on her three times already and after an argument about the third affair, he hit her. Her "advice" doesn't sound so bad now. He will cheat again. Leave him now. Every friend of hers would suggest the same thing. A psychologist would probably suggest the same thing. Were you able to get the whole context of the reading? Or were you walking around the psychic fair hearing select bits and pieces of people's readings?

I know readers, the ones I know are beautiful people, and your limited view does a disservice to the general community.

It's like distancing yourself from the field of magic because some magicians/mentalists like to bad-mouth, back-stab, and expose the hard work of other magicians/mentalists.

As far as people crying during readings. It happens all the time. Heck, it even happens in magic. Pay attention to the end of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNl7NisvQjY
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Alexandre, thanks for that clip! It is great to watch a master at work.

And he knows its not magic or mentalism per se... its about mystery!!!!
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2010-07-27 12:15, ALEXANDRE wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-07-26 19:05, mindpunisher wrote:

Many years ago I did a stint doing psychic fayres. I over heard one psychic (lifestyle advisor) tell this female that her husband would have an afair within two years and that she should think about leaving him now. That was enough for me. I ended my reading career right there and then.

Who wants to be associated with lunatics like that? And that wasn't an isolated reading. To make matters worse the "clients" these Fayre's attracted couldn't afford what they were charging. A lot of them needed real therapy.

If you were to truly disassociate from "lunatics" then you'd be hard pressed to find any career, because clearly there are "lunatic" lawyers, doctors, politicians, police officers, car mechanics, salespeople, scientists, hypnotists, teachers, psychologists, magicians, mentalists, clowns, and on and on.

A reader like that hurts herself, who is going to recommend her?

"Hey, Marge, I went to this great psychic the other day, here's her card, you've got to try her, she told me my husband was going to have an affair within the next two years and suggested I leave the cheater now! She's great!"

You didn't "overhear" what she told the reader before that. Maybe she told the reader that her husband had cheated on her three times already and after an argument about the third affair, he hit her. Her "advice" doesn't sound so bad now. He will cheat again. Leave him now. Every friend of hers would suggest the same thing. A psychologist would probably suggest the same thing. Were you able to get the whole context of the reading? Or were you walking around the psychic fair hearing select bits and pieces of people's readings?

I know readers, the ones I know are beautiful people, and your limited view does a disservice to the general community.

It's like distancing yourself from the field of magic because some magicians/mentalists like to bad-mouth, back-stab, and expose the hard work of other magicians/mentalists.

As far as people crying during readings. It happens all the time. Heck, it even happens in magic. Pay attention to the end of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNl7NisvQjY

The reader I mentioned was very popular and toured the whole of the country and made a reasonable living with his wife. They were both readers. Both equally looney.

With the greatest respect I don't think you can put psychics in the same catagory as any of the professions you name above. These two were not rare in the fayres I hang around with for a while. They were the norm. Totally believing in their powers and barking mad. Most of the shut eyes Ive met over the years are the same.

I have a problem with the whole reading thing at psychic fayres. A large number of the sitters come with serious problems and are quite poor. It is just not in my character to fleece them of their money when some kind of therappy is what they really need.

I don't see readings as something I want to be involved it doesn't fit with my personal values. Everybody to their own though.

I don't see anything wrong with readings that are for fun and the sitters know this. I am making no judgement on those that choose to do readings. They simply aren't for me.

And by the way I heard all of the reading I remember the sitter told they had been married for less than a year. She said NOTHING ELSE about being mistreated.

I had a reading by his wife a sort of interview if you like. I shut up and didn't say anything and she ouldn't do a reading. All she kept going on about was I had a problem with sex. Then waiting to see what my response would be. Of course I could'e responded in at leat a dozen different ways.

I then was asked to give her a reading. I remember by the look on her face I had a number of hits just using a simple tarot system.

She then pointed to one of the cards and told me she had been abused by an uncle and asked me why I had missed that since it was obvious because of one of the cards.

I also once while doing a house party was asked to give some advice to an old lady who had lost her husband. She continuously returned to psychics for comfort who kept getting her to return. She was attending sceances and spiritual meetings and was feeling worse for it. I gave her advice which I will never know if she took. But It made it clear to me that this wasn't a place where I wanted to be.

Again I make no judgements on those that go to see spritualists I don't believe in psychic bashing. I don't see it as my responsability. Only that I know its not for me.
Mike Baxter
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, B.C.
87 Posts

Profile of Mike Baxter
Quote:
On 2010-07-27 02:30, alpha alex wrote:
I used to do a death or alive test until I realize most of the people kept thinking in the dead person.. there is really no need to shake up your spectators like that.

**IF** you are going to do any form of DEAD or ALIVE test, I suggest that you always request the subject think of a dead person who brings them joyful and happy memories.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
There are one or too people who bring me joy because they are dead does that count?
backinblack
View Profile
Special user
910 Posts

Profile of backinblack
Quote:
On 2010-07-28 08:36, mindpunisher wrote:
There are one or too people who bring me joy because they are dead does that count?

lol - that is cool..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I've moved people to tears with my Cold Reading... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL