The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Lester Lake?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Who has any info or interesting stories about Lester Lake and his buried , burned , or boiled alive stunts. A good friend of mine knew Lester and the methods are amazing but just curious how you guys felt.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
rondasue
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of rondasue
London, can you talk with me or put me in touch with your friend? I am writing a book on this effect, I would love to interview your friend about mr Lake. John Calvert, who toured with Lake said he, lake, was the king of the buried alive effect. Tghanks.
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
I knew Lester (aka Marvelo) personally in his final years, and he was one of my mentors. He was a true gentleman. In the 1930s he got so many bookings for his outdoor stunts that he had another performer, Joe Schreck, take out a duplicate show, also performing as 'Marvelo.'

The wildest story about Lester I know of was when he was doing buried alive "come rain or shine." It rained that day, and the rain leached through the earth into his coffin!

Lester had no alarm bell or signalling device but, having the patience of Job, fended off panic and waited for the time to expire. When he was finally dug up, the water in the coffin was almost to the lid, with Lester holding his nose and mouth to the remaining air space.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Matthew the Magnificent
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, California
27 Posts

Profile of Matthew the Magnificent
Hmm, very interesting ! I came here purely because of the title... and all I knew about Lester Lake was that he is the namesake for a 'guillotine'... and I came expecting to see a possible debate over using one in the context of current 'beheadings' in the Middle East.. anyone else familiar with his 'chopper' ?

And, too, very interested in THAT book... or any other sources where I might learn more about the multi-talented Mr. Lake.
Many years & Many experiences in Magic and Related Arts
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
Lake did several things for Abbott's (Disecto; Extended-Blade Chopper; Giant Guillotine; Shredder; Water-Lu), usually for a few bucks worth of props.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Don
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Don
Mr. Lake I was told by first hand accounts, was also a school bus driver early in his career and drove a School bus blindfolded at one time. He also used John Calvert as the guinea pig for his guillotine.

Don
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Lester Lake?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL