The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Losing the "magic" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
luckynumber13
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of luckynumber13
I'm not sure where to post this dilemma I'm having with magic but seeing as this is the area of magic I love (impromptu with little to no complex gimmicks) it seemed most appropriate. You see when I first got into magic I was obsessed. I always carried decks of cards, spent hundreds of dollars on new tricks, and scoured a ton of Internet sites for content (even and most often ellusionist... When I was new.) but now after obtaining countless DVDs of individual and multiple tricks, grabbed most of the classic and essential books (didn't care for all of them. It becomes repetitive), and have almost all of the Jay Sankey DVDs (my favorite) I feel I no longer am enthralled by magic. I feel that I now have all the core mechanics of magic down pat for the most part and I no longer want more tricks and I rarely go on magic sites anymore. Even if I do get a new trick I don't even try it for awhile. All the new tricks I see just seem to be the same old stuff with nothing new or exciting anymore. I still love performing but has anyone else reached the point where they don't even want anymore magic things and are content with what they have?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
There came a time when I just said, "Enough!".
I have more magic stuff than I will ever need and very, very rarely buy anything new.

We tend to forget that people aren't as familiar with magic like we are and that some of the oldest and simplest tricks still work just fine.

Also, we tend to stop looking at magic from a layperson's perspective and how magic affected us when we began.
luckynumber13
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of luckynumber13
Thank you I'm glad I'm not the only one because I've been doing the same things over and over to different people and get great reactions and when I get something new it never produces the same reaction. I also just realized that if you ever watch David Blaine 99% of his tricks are very very simple yet have incredible reactions. But one more question: does anyone find new tricks repetitive and not that exciting?
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I know how you feel.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8512 Posts

Profile of funsway
There is an old saying, "pain and suffering may be unavoidable, but misery is a matter of chocie." In the same vein, while "tricks" may be repetetive or boring, finding "excitement" in magic is a matter of choice. The essential question should be why spectators find magic exciting? The real joy of magic, methinks, is the stories a person tells of a magic effect to their grandchildren. Thta story is rarely about the "trick" but the experience of feeling something different inside -- of knowing there is more in life than daily boredom.

Each magic effect in a package, book or DVd gives you some insight into the greater question. Someone else attempted to translate their experience into a package to deliver a tool you might use to better understand life. Magic performance is also special mirror in which you can see yourself. So, whther to purchase new tricks or not is never the real question. You must discover what gives you joy from understanding magic better, and follow ...
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
Alex Rapattoni
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, Wa
229 Posts

Profile of Alex Rapattoni
I think you may have reached a very pivotal point in your career. You know all the sleights and you know how to use them, but lather peoples effects just aren't cutting it for you. Maybe it's time for you to get those creative juice a-flowin' and start creating effects of your own. If all those effects out there seem the same to you then why don't you combine your favorite parts of them to make a brand new effect you can call your own. Just some food fo thought. I hope you find the magic in magic again.

Alex
Weird is part of the job.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14032 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I've been through this same "burnout" scenario with my guitar playing, it happens frequently. I simply let it ride. After while, inevitably, the old excitement is rekindled again on it's own. Just relax and go with the flow!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
521 Posts

Profile of msmaster
If you have enough stuff and feel burnout because nothing is new but still love magic focus on bettering yourself as a performer. Work on your intepretation and presentation of the tricks you do best. Stop buying tricks but start getting into magic books on history. If you like magic at a moments notice read about greats like Max Malini. Sounds like you're more burned out on buying new tricks than on the art of magic.
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
Daffydoug,
Very glad I read your comment.I have reached a 'burn out' phase in my children magic.I am ok with my adult magic performances.
I intend to take a step back for awhile.
Charlie
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14032 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Yeah. Just let it ride for a while. We are all human and we ALL need a break sometime in our life to re-charge our batteries. It's a fact of life.
eywi
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of eywi
Yeah iv had that same feeling but I guess for me whenever I perform the flame is back
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
So, have we lost #13???
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
trouser
View Profile
New user
Texas
82 Posts

Profile of trouser
My problem is that I am a guy with many interests and a short attention span. I get bored with things soon after starting them. Only two things have ever stuck - piano and magic. But since I'm only a hobbyist, my interest in magic comes and goes. I find that when I pick it back up after a few months of inaction, the flame burns bright again as I discover new things in my old collection. I get the most excited when I find good use for an effect that I had previously disliked.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6694 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I've posted this before, but this is the lesson I learned:

I'm 54, and had four trunks full of magic I've accumulated since 1977. Some new, some old, some RARE collectors items, and hardly ever used anything, but coins, silks, and smaller things. Then, I suddenly lost everything. A foreclosure took it all. Long story. I got out with a few essential items. That's it. I was devastated.

I recently realized, what did I really lose? Just stuff. The "stuff" was not, and IS not who I am. I can still do coin magic. I could still do "Prohibition", even though the original DVD is long gone. I can still pick up a deck of cards, and do some simple stuff that is quite astonishing. My props and books are gone, that's all.

Then I recently discovered I've been a member of The Learned Pig website since 2004! I found my password, and logged in. All the important books are there! And MORE!

What I'm saying is, the tricks you buy may be cool, but eventually they are going to take up space. What if you suddenly find yourself homeless, broke, and out in the street, like I did? It's what you keep inside you, that's important. You never lose that. I think my lesson was a blessing. I never knew what it was like to just have the clothes on my back and a carry-on bag to my name, and the street for my home. I hope that NEVER happens to you or anyone else.

Don't lose the "magic" you have. Not the props. The REAL magic!

Doug
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14032 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Great post. Profound thoughts. And it kind of scares me to read.

The only thing I'm curious about is there a reason you didn't move the props to another location before the foreclosure actually commenced?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6694 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Well, Daff', long story, but the owner of the house I was renting, did not tell me he was in foreclosure. My car had been crushed weeks earlier by a falling tree, and to top it off, the sheriff came to the door that day, and gave me 24 hours to vacate.

I did come back the following day to retrieve some important things, including my magic, and was immediately taken into custody by the sheriff, for trespassing. I WAS released with a warning to NEVER come near that house again. My belongings (except for the clothes on my back and a carry-on bag) were taken to the dump, I found out later.

Being out of work for 2 1/2 years, and left with nothing, I had some serious re-evaluating to do. LOL! Such is the life of a Radio Announcer!

Doug
Brittain Bass
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Brittain Bass
Absolutely,

The best cure for this...perform for a child. Watch the amazement.

Like Jaz said, we look at it from a magicians viewpoint and not a laypersons, and that's when the magic is gone.

Hope this helps,
Brittain Bass
Deucemc
View Profile
Regular user
originally Honolulu, Hawaii
116 Posts

Profile of Deucemc
I'm going through a similar process, and that's all it is a process. I've been caught up in getting the next gig and spending too much money on marketing ideas that don't work. I stopped buying magic and just started gaining more knowledge of magic. I've reached out to other Magicians, here at the Magic Café especially and have come to a conclusion, go back to the basics, just getting out there and performing for people. Not worrying about if I pack the pockets with my core effects, just getting out there and making the connection then using magic as to leave a lasting impression.
Last night, I went to Walmart real late at night. It's open 24hrs so I thought I wouldn't see many people there so I didn't need magic/props to carry with me. As I entered I saw an old friend/coworker and he introduced me to his wife for the first time. He asked the basic questions you an aquaintecne, "How you doin" "How's the family" etc. Then he asks me to to a trick for his wife, right after he tells her I'm the guy he's been talking about that does magic. For the first time in a long time I was stuck, really stuck. I couldn't think of anything I didn't want to do anything corny so I had to rack my brain for something quick, the cold would rush in when the doors opened, people would try to walk between us or wait till we moved. I looked at my friends hand and he had a receipt, a nice size receipt, he had a wagon of stuff. I asked if he needed it, he said no, he handed it to me and I made 3 little paper balls and did sponge/napkin/paper whatever you wanna call it for his wife, they both enjoyed it. Of course my friends reactions were always borderline over the top but it was cool.
Ok, Just get back to the basics. Grab some magic stuff it in your pockets and get out there and perform.
Denis Bastible
View Profile
Loyal user
Buffalo, New York
292 Posts

Profile of Denis Bastible
Every month we receive the magazines that bombard us with the latest and best and rely on that advertising for existence. When you go to a convention, frequently the most exciting place is the dealer room (especially if Mark Mason is doing his thing). We buy because it looks great and it goes home. This huge pile (drawer, cabinet or whatever) of unused magic is created.

Like the Rudolf the Reindeer story, hopefully there is a island for unused or underappreciated or magic. Unfortunately, its called a magic club "auction".
wkitwizard
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
466 Posts

Profile of wkitwizard
Read "Maximum Entertainment" and focus on performance, instead of "tricks"-you'll be amazed at the reaction from laymen and energized by their experience.
Best of Luck
wk
Nothing is truer than the incomprehensible, because the sum total of our knowledge consists of the fact that we know nothing. Our reality is an illusion. Thus illusion is reality-Punx
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Losing the "magic" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL