The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Are all silks this much!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
New to silk magic, saw a David Ginn Lecture this weekend and bought one of his routines minus the $99 6ft silk. Just wondering since I'm new to it and wanna have a BIG SILK finish to the effect, should I expect them to always be that high?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
$99 is on the low side for a 6' x 6' silk. At some dealers, they are $125 - $150. These are the new 6' silks that are mass produced (rabbit in hat, dragon, clown face, butterfly).

There are also 36" versions of the same designs that are mass produced. They range from $30 to $40, depending where you buy them.

(A 6' silk is 4x the amount of silk as a 36" silk.)

The original 6' x 6' silks, before these new mass produced ones, were around $300+, I think. I bought a used 6' Rice's Dragon silk for $100, and it was a good deal. Look through sites like Rice's and P&A to get some perspective about prices of larger silks.

I bought a new 6' x 6' tie dye silk from Richard Hughes for around $200 years ago, and it was a great deal for the quality and workmanship.

I'm happy to invest in some quality products for my show that have a great impact.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Go ahead and pay the money. With proper care, the silks will last longer than you will. They are a great investment for stage magic. They fold flat and play big.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
In my experience with silks, you truly "get what you pay for"... Take good care of a Rice or P&A silk, and it will be around LOOOOONG after you're gone...

I've paid close to $300 for a 6x6, and I have paid about $75. They're not the same...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
As to Rice Silk quality, see this:

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/featured.htm

and the main site is here (just click on the picture):

http://www.silkkingmagic.com

If you have any questions, just get in touch with Ruth Rice. She'll be glad to help you!

Doug
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
My P&A Silks still look like new -- and the ones that are 10 years old are great in color and crispness. They ran $600 each.

It is all a matter of perspective of what you wish to do with silk magic -- pro, hobby or dabble.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
No, I understand that quality is pricey right now. I was just looking for one to finish an effect I bought from David Ginn. He used a very large one and was selling it for $99, but I just wasn't sure if that was standard or not. Who knows, I might be wanting more from time to time and it would be done at paid performances, but I just haven't gotten there yet. Right now just looking around, but thanks a lot for all the replies. Good to know there are still people on this site that wanna help and not sit and debate. Thanks again, guys.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The ones David is selling are 5 momme silks. I prefer a 6 momme (if packing tight) or an 8 momme if there is room.

But I do understand finanaces on these things.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Honestly, if finances are tight, you would probably be okay with David's silks. If you perform hundreds of times a year, they won't hold up forever, but if you are a "weekend warrior", they will probably work fine.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Good grief! I just checked the prices on a 6 foot quality silk. I about fell out of my chair! $300 - $400! Yeah...if David Ginn is selling it for $99, whoa! Good price!

Doug
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
My six footers are $175, 8 momme.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
I own one of Blackstone Jr.'s 6 ft dragon silks, paid around $450.00 for it on auction, also have a 3 of his 50 ft streamers (made of 36 inch silks sewn together) you can see these in action on the Blackstone Magical Memories DVD during the Christmas sequence with the drum illusion. I freaked when I saw the DVD and saw my silks in use!
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wow, Richard...good price! And 8 momme. Can't go wrong, there!

Doug
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
This is what a 6' x 6' tie dye silk by Richard Hughes looks like:

http://www.donalddunphy.com/assets/DDunp......hoto.jpg

It's a thing of beauty!

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Please realize that no two tie dyes are identical. They are similar but not identical.

I have several photos of ones I have done. I just sent some photos to a guy of what I had in stock so he could pick out what he wanted. I can't promise to always do that but I can try.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Are all silks this much!!! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL