The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Freshening up silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mnmagic
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of mnmagic
I just wanted to share that cold water and a hair dryer work great to recondition wrinkled silks. I use this to freshen up my TT silk all the time.

Wet the silk in the bathroom sink and stick it to the mirror. Just spread it by the corners and push it against the glass, then wipe most of the wrinkles out by hand. Then grab the hair dryer and with a low or medium setting iron out the rest.

You can try just leaving the silk on the mirror instead but it will usually fall off before drying completely. I have also seen posts elsewhere that say to leave it on or near a window. That will work also. The real key is to smooth it flat when it is wet.

If you do TT vanishes please take out the wrinkles so it doesn't look so gawdy and like you had to cram the silk somewhere to vanish it.

my two cents...
Shawn
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
Great idea Shawn... I'll have to test that out.

Thanks
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
japanjazzy
View Profile
Regular user
Crestview, Florida
139 Posts

Profile of japanjazzy
Thanks for the idea. I have tried different things but this is a new one that I will put to the trial.
keven
View Profile
Regular user
Apple Valley Ca
106 Posts

Profile of keven
Do you use soap on your silk's?
I have and it has never hurt them .
What do you think ?
Penn & Teller "God Bless Them"
mnmagic
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of mnmagic
I am not sure... depends on the soap and the silk I guess. I have tried to wash out stains but found that if water won't do it soap usually isn't going to help much. I once tried diluted bleach on a white silk... BAD IDEA.

I think the silks we tend to get dirty are the ones we use most often and are the ones worth replacing over time.

shawn
Mirage
View Profile
New user
Sweden
10 Posts

Profile of Mirage
You can use washing powder when you want to clean your silks from stains.

Be careful, though!

Use a washing powder that is made for hand washing. Fill up the handbasin with a little less than lukewarm water. Take small amount of powder in the water and let it dissolve. "Wave the silk around" in the water. Don't let it lie in a pile on the bottom. If there are stains fold the silk once and rub the stain gently between the fold with thumb and forefinger. This is usually enough to remove the stain. I have removed stains that vary from candle grease to blood with this method. (*G* I sound like a real windbag. We assistants take washing silks seriously *LOL*) Hope someone can use this for something. Oh, by the way blood require COLD water, and candle grease, WARM water. Smile Smile Smile
Money isn't the key to a good life, but it helps!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Freshening up silks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL