The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cold reading / Trade Craft (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
537 Posts

Profile of Sir T
Hello,

I was surfing looking for a few items, when I ran across a book entitled: Tradecraft - The Art and Science of Cold Reading by Trickshop.com inc. It is 50 pages long and makes some pretty big claims. Anyone have this book or heard about it?

Just wondering, but I think, I will just have to stick with the full facts for now.

Kevin Smile
fordkross
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of fordkross
Yes, I have read it. While much slimmer than Full Facts, and unlike FF it contains material I have not seen elsewhere. Reccomended.
from
Ford
MANDRAGORE
View Profile
New user
N.Ireland
72 Posts

Profile of MANDRAGORE
i have it, i agree with fordkross, it is very good and it gives a verygood and basic idea of what cold reading is. the FF is a must to have, this is the cold reading bible.

ben
evsp
View Profile
New user
AZ
4 Posts

Profile of evsp
Please advise a cold-reading newbie about FF. Where available, contents, author, etc.?
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2196 Posts

Profile of ddyment
The Full Facts Book of Cold Reading is Ian Rowland's definitive book on the subject. Learn even half the stuff in this book and you'll be a better reader than most of those out there.

It's currently out of print, unfortunately, but keep an eye on Ian's Website (http://www.ian-rowland.com/), and you'll find out about the next edition.

... Doug
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
pradip_rao
View Profile
New user
Bombay, India
67 Posts

Profile of pradip_rao
I was wondering which one to buy. It looks like I will have to buy both - FF (when available) as well as Tradecraft.

Incidently, Tradecraft is also available in an instantly downloadable online e-book version. See http://www.trickshop.com for details.
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1583 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Ian's book is THE book to have on cold reading.
Best regards,
Tony Razzano
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
brownbomber
View Profile
Regular user
Edinburgh
156 Posts

Profile of brownbomber
How long will we have to wait for the new edition of Ian's book though? I'm sure there are lot of us impatient souls out here! Smile
MarkAllison
View Profile
New user
Hemel Hempstead, England
53 Posts

Profile of MarkAllison
To add to the general comments here, Ian's book is a great resource on cold reading.

However, cold reading is something that requires lots of practise to become good at. You can't read Ian's book (or anyone elses for that matter) and immediately become expert at cold reading.

Cheers

Mark
Alex Reeve
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Alex Reeve
tradecraft is a good book.

But as mark pointed out you just can't read book and become a good cold reader. you have to practice a lot.

the books will bring you in the right direction to start doing it, but cold reading is mostly based on observation and interaction. So look at peoples and talk to them and ask yourself what can you say about this person.

In order to be good we have to practice a lot, like everything else we do
fordkross
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of fordkross
It's only my opinion, but there are some things you only learn by doing. Hypnotism, contact mind reading and cold reading or psychic reading. There are a couple of audio tapes available, and two videos, but only available to PEA members, I believe. But if you really want to study the subject, go to readers and turn your memory and analysis chip on
from
Ford
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
FF is a great resource book, as are Ford Kross' publications and Richard Webster's various works on the subject. However, after digesting the fundamentals of what constitutes "cold reading," the next thing to do is to spend a considerable amount of time researching and then thoroughly learning one or more divination systems. At this point, you will be just beginning to walk that winding path to becoming a credible psychic reader.

Don't ever believe the often touted line this is a process that can be learned in a short period of time. I've found the best "cold"/psychic readers to be those individuals who constantly hone their skills through continued study of technique, psychology, related literature, and most of all, practical application through the performance of psychic readings.

Like magic, cold reading in all its applications is a craft whose ultimate attainment demands a lifetime dedication and commitment.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
Andrewdavidson12
View Profile
Loyal user
England
231 Posts

Profile of Andrewdavidson12
FF is definitely the bible but Tradecraft is good too.

One way of practicing that I use is to go into an internet chat room (preferably one with a psychic or new age theme) and offer to do readings.

I have had some amazing results.

It's not as good as being in a position to do a personal reading but it does mean that you can have Ian's book open alongside you as you give a reading!

Andrew
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
I actually made the decision and bought the e-book version of Tradecraft. Here´s a short review.

Positive: One of it´s ideas was one that I myself have incorporated. An idea that´s not so much written about to my knowledge.

It gave me another idea which I did not have before.

Negative: One of the subjects in the book was hard to follow. My opinion is that if you don´t have an insight into certain psychological terms, that part of the book can be hard to understand.

The questions in the question chapter. I can bet a large amount of money that they were either directly copied from one of Herb Dewie´s books, or only changed very slightly. I recognized it immediately, and that turned me off a bit.

On the whole I think it is an interesting book, worth buying. I really think it can only make you a better reader if you read as much as you can about it, and from different points of view.

PS It would be interesting to know who wrote it, and how they came up with what is written inside. It contains no information about that.

Mikael
Paradox
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Paradox
I have a severe problem with TRADECRAFT. I bought it, downloaded the ebook version, read thru it one, then tried to print it out. I couldn't; not enough memory or something like that.
Then I tried to bring it up again and was FORBIDDED TO OPEN THE FILE WITHOUT A PASSWORD!!!!
Naturally I IMMEDIATELY emailed Trickshop to complain, but have received no word back at of yet.
So I have the book, have read it once, and CAN'T read it again! Anyone got the password?
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
I believe the password is unique for each buyer. Unless you chose the option of unlimited downloads, you are only given one chance to download it and print (I personally do not like that for the reasons you just gave) So using anothers password won't work.

You may want to contact digibuy at support@digibuy.com, since they are the ones responsible for the technical aspects of this e-book. Also, make sure that you have the lastest version of Acrobat.

Let us know how it turns out.
McCritical
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of McCritical
Quote:
On 2002-09-08 14:56, Paradox wrote:
I have a severe problem with TRADECRAFT. I bought it, downloaded the ebook version, read thru it one, then tried to print it out. I couldn't; not enough memory or something like that.
Then I tried to bring it up again and was FORBIDDED TO OPEN THE FILE WITHOUT A PASSWORD!!!!
Naturally I IMMEDIATELY emailed Trickshop to complain, but have received no word back at of yet.
So I have the book, have read it once, and CAN'T read it again! Anyone got the password?

If I remember correctly, the password should have been e-mailed to you.

I suggest that once you get your password that you rename your tradecraft file to that of your password (ex: if the password for the Tradecraft file is PA55W3RD, you would rename Tradecraft.pdf to PA55W3RD.pdf)

I also suggest you attempt printing a few pages (like 10) at a time, this should make things a little easier on your RAM. PDF pages with photos usually take a long time (and a lot of memory) to print.
Paradox
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Paradox
Hold everything! All is well---I emailed Trickshop & they gave me the password, which I WROTE DOWN this time (!)
Someone else also suggested I print 10 pages at a time. I did that & it worked fine. I now have a complete copy of the book. Thanks to everyone for their help.
Now! The book itself. It makes a terminology error at the beginning. It defines ALL reading as "cold reading". "Cold reading", by definition, is where you have ABSOLUTELY NO information about your client. They sit downm in front of you, you observe them & start reading.
The boiok also talke about "warm" reading". In all my experience in doing readings (I was on the Psychic Friends Network for 3+ years, plus doing many orivate readings locally), I never heard this term.
The basic idea in cold reading is to try out open ended statements, then gradually close off the open ends that don't fit the client by carefully and rapidly observing the client's reactions to your statements. Using generalities that tend to fit everyone is a slightly different technique and the two are often confused. Studying & learning actual divination systems is a VERY good idea, as is becoming familiar with Nondirective (Rogerian) therapy, of which more later.
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-09-09 09:04, Paradox wrote:
Hold everything! All is well---I emailed Trickshop & they gave me the password, which I WROTE DOWN this time (!)
Someone else also suggested I print 10 pages at a time. I did that & it worked fine. I now have a complete copy of the book. Thanks to everyone for their help.
Now! The book itself. It makes a terminology error at the beginning. It defines ALL reading as "cold reading". "Cold reading", by definition, is where you have ABSOLUTELY NO information about your client. They sit downm in front of you, you observe them & start reading.
The boiok also talke about "warm" reading". In all my experience in doing readings (I was on the Psychic Friends Network for 3+ years, plus doing many orivate readings locally), I never heard this term.
The basic idea in cold reading is to try out open ended statements, then gradually close off the open ends that don't fit the client by carefully and rapidly observing the client's reactions to your statements. Using generalities that tend to fit everyone is a slightly different technique and the two are often confused. Studying & learning actual divination systems is a VERY good idea, as is becoming familiar with Nondirective (Rogerian) therapy, of which more later.

Smile Don't be telling "Magicians" this kind of stuff... we need to keep our secrets away from them Smile

You are quite right a "Cold Reading" is in fact, a Reading done without any details. What confuses the term is that the magic world has applied it to "profile" statements such as are found in the old canned response manuscripts of Robert Nelson fame or the more up-to-date profiles found in the works of Herb Dewey & Co. in "Psycho-Babble" and "Red Hot Cold Readings."

Technically speaking, to know the metaphoric meaning behind any symbol; colors, patterns, animals, plant life, direction, etc. Is to know the "Cold Read" or "Profile" data around such e.g. any and all acts of divination such as the legit use of the Tarot, Runes and other such oracles is now seen as being "Cold Reading" (according to Saint Randi and the mignions of CSICop and other such skeptic's societies... in other words, group consciousness and public understanding of the term now supports (lends proof) to what they want everyone to believe and accept... Smile )

"Warm" Readings is a relatively new term (I don't think it's been applicable for more then about ten years now.) It relates to situations where you have some insight. In the good old days a Reader would keep records on clients; a customer form filled out by the client with tons of personal info that can be expanded upon via some simple reseach. Too, you keep either notes or recordings of each session for review, which can be used in a number of ways during future sessions.

There are other terms that have surfaced of late... even John Edward gave a spill a few months ago that addressed all this lingo and "explanations" as to how he does what he does, pointing out how much money he'd need to support this massive staff of people that would keep their mouths shut for one reason or another (along with a brute squade that insured their silence), etc.

Anywho... hope this clears up a few things Smile
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
McCritical
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of McCritical
Quote:
On 2002-09-09 09:04, Paradox wrote:
Studying & learning actual divination systems is a VERY good idea, as is becoming familiar with Nondirective (Rogerian) therapy, of which more later.

The ultimate interactive primer to Rogerian therapy is a nifty little freeware program that has been around (in several forms) for years (since 1966).

Do a search for Joseph Weizenbaum's "Eliza" for your particular OS and try the program. You'll see a few of the principles at work. After awhile, the program gets tiresome (if not outright annoying) but it reveals a simple fact: If a computer can do it somewhat convincingly (a few folk have been fooled into thinking Eliza was a real person--you may run across a few transcripts in your search), a real live boy can probably knock your socks off.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Cold reading / Trade Craft (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL