The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Why bones? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Great reply, Mota.

Ray,

Like I said, I'm not about to stiffle anyone's creativity or artistic vision. I don't have the monopoly on bone readings (nor do I want to). Based on experience (and Lord knows I'm still learning and growing more all the time!) when people come see me for a reading they want A READING - not magic or tricks or even good magic tricks...as Mota suggested, it's all about THEM (as well it should be).

Now warming up with something like "Thought Channel" might be great to create a sense of rapport and connection in the beginning or even as a convincer, perhaps not though. That my clients are sitting in front of me and paying for a reading suggests they are already convinced and on some level a degree of rapport has been established either directly or indirectly.

Your idea for using "The Process/PULSE" is a sound one and I routinely do exactly this before MANY of my readings, and while it's "magical" it's not magic or mentalism (I feel) or anything that could be classified as such - I view these pieces as sort of a psycho-spiritual technology and series of breakthrough communication techniques designed to establish a baseline for rapport and truly, TRULY get my in sync with the client.

As a rule I don't perform bone readings as entertainment, this is something else that must be considered.

Again, to each their own - I simply don't think bringing magic into something so rare and powerful and exotic and special is necessary and others are free to use whatever works for them, always.

-J
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
How can a person create the persona of genuine authentic bone casting when they don’t have any history with it? Because bone casting is such a powerful and exotic way of divination, how can a middle age bald guy come across as a REAL interpreter of the bones?

I like to think of myself as a some-what story teller because I have been too many places in the world. So the lies…I mean stories that I tell as I introduce things such as a finger ring, pendulum, old cards or other things really fit me. I can prove that I have been to places and no one can disprove what I said happen nor dismiss the PEOPLE that I have met in the back alley shops or was introduced to. The problem now arises when the sitter sits down in front of me and looks into the eyes of a middle age guy who has never been mentored or is a qualified Sangoma. I just don’t have the look or history of being in that part of the world or hanging with other bone casters. LOL

I am always looking for ways to look and feel real in anything that I do. So is there any slang or words that are used (accustom) to bone casting that will create a feel in the right direction? Something that will add another layer to my bone casting and hopefully create the mist of reality in what I am doing? The way that I see it, if I was the real thing and really knew the bones shouldn’t I also talk the talk (more or less).

Am I thinking to deep about this? Think of a doctor or nurse who is talking to a nonmedical person. As they talk they will say things that completely go over a person’s head because of the five dollar words they will use.

Ray
seadog93
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of seadog93
You can't pretend to be a Sangoma without the knowledge and experience; which is quite an undertaking.

On the other hand hoodoo is very accesible, if you have the interest. Check out Lucky Mojo (esp. the radio program!). I found the Lucky Mojo Hoodoo course to be worth the money (although IMO, it's less of a real course and more of a really good book). Get a feel for the history and tradition, and keep in mind that it's a living and changing system. It's based in African American culture but there is a lot of variations possible. Any folk tradition has countless variations.

Also, what exactly does a "real" interpreter of the bones look like? David Cumes (from Jerome's link) is about as legit as you can get and he looks like a pretty normal middle aged white guy to me.
"Love is the magician who pulls man out of his own hat" - Ben Hecht

"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing'. Between the two, my life flows." -Nisargadatta Maharaj

Seadog=C-Dawg=C.ou.rtn.ey Kol.b
shots
View Profile
Loyal user
Kissimmee, FL
256 Posts

Profile of shots
I have to agree with TT2 from this post and the other bone casting thread. I am an initiate in Santeria, it is my own personal religion. That said, I won't be reading the cowrie shells or coconut rinds until I get to that part of my training. BUT, I will be creating my own bone reading system, using some fox bones, cat bones, a human finger bone, a small bone skeleton (shaped like a small human being) and a shell. It isn't based on any current or past bone casting system, and won't be presented as anything but my own system.

I was thinking of coating the bones with some sort of clear laquer to prevent them from chipping or breaking, along with a mark on one side for the actual reading. Any suggestions on the type of markings I could put on 'em?
Magic in the Shadows
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Why bones? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL