The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Here's a How-de-do (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
Apologies to Gilbert and Sullivan.

It now seems as if the job of collecting evidence against BP will be done by . . .BP.

http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0806/job-col......e-bp-bp/
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Well. Since I was looked down upon for saying oil companies were scumbags and couldn't be trusted then I would say those people will have no problems accepting the evidence turned in against themselves.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
How did the world get sucked into the self-regulation of a few select industries? It's amazing what oil companies have managed to negotiate for themselves around the world.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Not really, they get messed with, they have the ability to destroy economies, industries, and politicians. I wouldn't be surprised if the US doesn't eventually give them back the money they lost.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-08-07 20:55, MagicSanta wrote:
Not really, they get messed with, they have the ability to destroy economies, industries, and politicians. I wouldn't be surprised if the US doesn't eventually give them back the money they lost.

BP to take $10 billion tax write-off for cleanup
By Tom Eley
28 July 2010

BP on Tuesday announced its intention to take $10 billion in US tax write-offs related to the cost for response and cleanup of the Gulf oil catastrophe.

The oil giant penciled in losses of $32.2 billion for its second quarter earnings statement. These include $2.9 billion for its response so far and $29.3 billion in future estimated costs that the company says will cover all further damages associated with the spill.

BP will be able to write off $10 billion in US taxes based on the claimed loss. It will also be able to write off an undetermined amount from taxes owed to the United Kingdom, where it is based.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
See...told ya. God, it is amazing no one wants to hire me.....
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4159 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2010-08-07 00:21, landmark wrote:

Funny - The Mikado was the first thing I thought of. Not to side track the conversation, but am curious - do you like or perform G&S?
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I love G&S.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Fox guarding hen house. Been this way for years, sadly. In crime and politics, if you have enough money, you can get away with just about anything.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
It occurs to me that, in this day and age media-wise "The Fox guarding the henhouse." has a sadly ironic truth to it.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
In crime and politics, if you have enough money, you can get away with just about anything.

And business, though one could argue that's redundant.

That what Microsoft proved. If you have more money then the government, you can even beat the government in court.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-08-08 00:24, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Fox guarding hen house. Been this way for years, sadly. In crime and politics, if you have enough money, you can get away with just about anything.

Yep. Remember O.J.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5024 Posts

Profile of landmark
I haven't listened to G and S for a long time, I used to be a big fan when I was younger. Unfortunately, the speed of absurdity has passed G and S a long time ago and glorious though they were, they will never catch up.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-08-07 00:21, landmark wrote:

It now seems as if the job of collecting evidence against BP will be done by . . .BP.

http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0806/job-col......e-bp-bp/

More recently ...

‘BP report clears BP of blame in BP disaster’

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e76e6e68-bb36-......49a.html
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm waiting for "BP announces that explosion and oil spill reduced pressure on earth core and removed threat of life ending rupture of planet"
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Not surprised at all.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I had a thought the other day- when humanity goes extinct, it will be due to the greed of a few of us, and the apathy towards it by the rest of us.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Here's a How-de-do (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL