The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Geek (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Profile of Double O Magic
Magic Geek has demos for all of their products performed by one of their staff members. This certain person is usually quite funny and does effects well. I was thinking about getting Daryl's 3 Fly III so I looked at the performance and just by watching the performance I saw the method...

http://www.magicgeek.com/3-fly-iii-2070.html
othelo68
View Profile
Regular user
North dakota
174 Posts

Profile of othelo68
The truth is that allot of magic is like this. Should you decide to watch the demo close enough or enough times you may discover the method. that's why allot of magicians who sell effects don't like to have demo videos or if they do heavily edit the videos to eliminate the chance of the work being shown. should you decide to perform this effect the ethical thing to do would be to buy the effect anyway. You may be surprised to find that the method you thought was not employed at all or at least there may be an alternate handling that's worth the price. Magic is not about method its about the interlude between performer and spectator. to quote an article I recently read and posted here
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I've seen some of the Magic Geek videos on Youtube and been underwhelemed by his presentations. He struck me as too self-aware. The flourishes to me came off as "now I'm being a magician" rather then being natural.

His 3 fly presentation is actually better then some of his others, IMO.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Doctor Xombie
View Profile
Regular user
FL (formerly Planet X)
109 Posts

Profile of Doctor Xombie
I haven't ordered from Magic Geek (YET), but I have found their demos valuable when looking up a new effect I've heard about.
I like humour of the guy's presentations.
And you have to admit. It's a lot better than most YouTuber 'presentations'.
-Roger "The Doctor"

Doctor Xombie & Roger Boyes -Author
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

Yes. Definitely. I love the dude and he is usually great. But that permission kind of surprised me. And of course he is hilarious.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
It's a lot better than most YouTuber 'presentations'.

I think this is called 'damning with faint praise" Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
In the right hands, this could be a GREAT effect. I try to stay away from GAFFS, if I can. I don't do Three Fly, but do a Coins Across with four Ike Dollar coins, using different sleights each time. Gaffs DO have their place, though.

I'd like to see Daryl's performance. I'll look. If I find it, I'll post it here. Yep, found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YWP1pdYkSw

Much better. I just wish you could watch YouTube in higher resolution. Blurry as all heck.

And, I like that Magic Geek site. Really good stuff there.

Doug
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

I have to agree it is a great website.
Yekrats
View Profile
Loyal user
Dayton, Indiana
208 Posts

Profile of Yekrats
I love the misdirection move, "Look! An elephant!"
--
Corporate or event magic & mentalism: http://WizardoftheWabash.com
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

I couldn't stop laughing after that hahaha
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
I agree with Cyberqat about being underwhelmed by magic geek presentations

It' not easy to pick up every effect that comes around and do it for a video but ..... ennn

Also it seems magic geek sell every and anything,
a really good shop will only sell the best quality products they can
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Agree with Vick and Cy- if these were demonstrations in a B&M shop, I would probably not buy. Some are reasonably good but others are on the edge of exposure and the presentations leave much to be desired...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
--------eXtrementalism--------......IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND.....
1254 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
Very educational video´s…

How NOT to present your effects!
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

A positive way to look at it
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Quote:
On 2010-08-14 13:33, Vick wrote:
I agree with Cyberqat about being underwhelmed by magic geek presentations

me too! a good video can sell a trick (or stop any sales)

I would like to ask a question here, it was mentioned previously that if you like a trick and work it out, buy it afterwards. This has happened to me a number of times and I feel pretty pleased with myself about it when it does. I don't think, oh I must buy this now. Anyway, the question is about performing other people's material, be it from watching a performance or from an instructional book/DVD, am I allowed to perform this and make money off the performances legally? One point is that given the art is that of mystery, perhaps I have come up with my own effect to reach the same results. I think yes as long as I don't pass the work off as my own, but what do you guys think?

Also in response to the working out of a trick from a performance, if I work out a song by ear I don't rush out and buy the sheet music.
Protection for mind readers and mentalists: http://tricksofthemind.com
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

I think that if you look at an effect, and think you know the method, you should credit AT LEAST the idea to the original creator because like you stated, it might be a whole different method. Just my opinion.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
I don't feel compelled to buy something just because I've figured out how it works. In some cases, I'll even build my own depending on the cost and other factors.
My personal paint-ball catch for instance, which was inspired Bob Kohler's original terrific idea.

My limit is either exposing or selling my version. if it was an idea I got by looking at something professional and saying to myself "oh, that's clever, I bet if i..." then AFAIAC it is a "derivative work" and not mine to sell or give away at least until the original is gone from the market.

Now that's ethics. As far as the law goes, that's another matter.

In terms of copyright, a copyright is accrued when an original creative work is fixed in a tangible medium. So if you just watch someone perform and pick up ideas you use, legally that's fine. Even if you have a photographic memory and repeat the performance word for word, that's fine.

BUT if you record it or write it down orin any other external way make it "permanent", it becomes copyrighted to the original performer.

P.S. I am not a lawyer and the above should not be construed as legal advice.
volto
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of volto
If you have a problem with a particular video, contact them about it. They seem passionate about what they do.

I've watched dozens of their clips and I honestly haven't seen anything that I'd call exposure. On the other hand, Chris's exaggerated "geek" persona is hilarious. I love the "and now I am mysterious" expressions, the deliberately overblown dramatic gestures and the shifty, guilty expression he puts on at the end of some gaffed effects. Truly brilliant. I sat down and watched a whole bunch of their clips a while ago, just for the entertainment. There's normally something to make you chuckle, often something to make you laugh out loud.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
I enjoyed all of the vids I've seen. I think that what some previous posters are responding to might just as easily be consigned to "style". We don't all come across as a Copperfield, a Ballantine, or a Slydini. (Three of the most different examples I can think of!)

This guy’s shtick is Geek. And he's good at it. Smile
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Double O Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
365 Posts

He absolutely is talented and absolutely enjoyable. It just seems certain effects are not as polished as they should be in a magic demo...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic Geek (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL