The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Prestige by Christopher Priest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
This book is not a magic book, but rather a novel about 2 magicians, I think it could fit in the forum

The movie The Prestige starring Michael Caine, Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman is based on this book. Ricky Jay also has a small part in the movie.

If you liked the movie you will love the book, while the plot is the same, the rivalry between two magicians and the search for the perfect Transposition illusion (“The transported man”), the development of the story and the ending of the book is totally different to the one in the movie. Different characters and situations make the plot very interesting.

I read the book during my vacation and had a great time, I was carrying the book everywhere I went to try to read one or two pages here and there, now my daughter is reading it (13 years old) and so far she likes it as well.

I bought it at the Barnes&Noble close to my home, and they only had 1 copy on the Sci-Fi section, I assume Amazon should carry it as well, mine is a paperback edition of 360 pages ($16)

If you are looking for something to read during the summer that combines fiction and magic, I think The Prestige is a great alternative.

Pablo
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
I enjoyed the book long before the release of the film and found the book superior to the movie in every way. Understandable I guess since the book was too long to completely translate to film.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I have yet to read the book, but, I WILL say that The Prestige is one of THE most beautifully filmed movies about magic. The cinematographer should have been nominated for an Academy Award.

Michael Caine is of course a legendary actor and I think HIS presence made Jackman and Bale work that much harder. Excellent film.

Ricky Jay looked in pain though.

The actress that played Jackman's character's wife I thought was really beautiful and a wonderful actress. Scarlett Johannson on the other hand .... meh.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Mark,

I would agree even though I haven't read the book. I have yet to see a film that outdoes a book. I think as you have already stated that the medium of film does not permit a complete translation from the book.

The first two Godfather movies are considered masterpieces of the cinema, yet, the book is actually FAR better.

I thought that Peter Jackson did a splendid job with The Lord of The Rings, but, to TRULY get that story right would require that each FILM be 10+ hours. Smile

Still, I applaud these directors who take on these difficult projects. Christopher Nolan's direction in The Prestige was simply wonderful IMHO.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

PS: For you baseball fanatics like me out there in Café land, The Natural is QUITE different from the novella of the same name. Levinson, a great director, took a LOT of license with Malamud's story.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1681 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Vlad, I recommend you read the book, because of the different ending and plot is almost like reading a different novel all together.
I am not so sure that the book is better than the movie, both are very entertaining, the book is mainly based on 2 characters Boden and Angier, with Tesla and the female assistant playing a much more secondary role that the one on the movie, and 2 other characters that are not even in the movie.
For the movie they developed the M. Caine character a lot (in the book almost does not exist) and even both wives have a more larger apperance than in the book, the Tesla character is better developed in the movie than in the book and some questions that you could have like why didn't Angier use the machine to make money is answered in the book.

The book is very good an different from the movie, great read
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Prestige by Christopher Priest (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL