The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » What is Your Favorite Stage Silk Production? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have used the Kuma Tubes to produce huge amounts of silks, parasols, etc., but I am looking for something else with a similar effect, just for variety.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Hi Clinton, You have the large Kuma Tubes, that is wonderful, I only seen Dip Lip Soo perform that effect a couple of time years ago. Not many people perform it I believe.

To try to come close to such a fast paced surprising production item is very hard to match. I really do not think there is much outthere in a production appratus to compare to this effect. Being you mentioned parasols, that makes it difficult. Not many manufacturers are making these props now because the country is into close-up. Abbott's Magic refused to make me a Phantom Tube and they said it was to old and not a seller any longer.

Hocus-Pocus on their private estate sale is selling the Rice Chimney set currently. That is all silks. Then there is the old Jumbo Square Circle. Also there is a trifold screen production on the estate sale as well. The Westgate Bowl production is a good effect also, with silks and a fish bowl climax.

My favorite silk production is Duke's Dye Version from Abbott Magic. I produce a 25 foot streamer for the finale, then steal a parasol to top off the finish.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Wmhegbli: Either Dip Lip Soo is the name of an obscure magician from your deep past with whom I am completely unfamiliar, or you are thinking of De Yip Lou, famous father of Frances Mai-Ling (our own Marshall Thornside on the Café), who was famous for his Kuma Tube presentation.

ClintonMagus: I have always felt that the "Flower Growth Supreme," invented by William Russell and Ladson Butler, and built by Thayer c. 1915, had space to spare in its load chamber and could hold more than just one flowerpot. A few parasols and six foot silks would do nicely to fill up the remaining spaces. You'll find it described in The Wizards' Journal #14 with further improvements by Jim Gerrish, 2008.

While you're there, look at Thayer's floor model Square Circle and consider this: If you cover your Kuma Tubes with a stretchy cloth sleeve (like the stretch book covers used by school kids these days), you can easily change their outward appearance without harm to the Tube. By using them as the inner tubes to a floor model Square Circle, you can make it seem like a whole new effect, yet you are able to switch back to the old Kuma Tubes whever you want.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Spellbinder, yes it was the Chicago magician De Yip Lou, he did fly casting demonistrations at our home show one year as well. Working off my memory only and did not get up and get out his photo to check the correct name and spelling.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I use a drawer box for stage silk productions, as well as a square circle.

With the drawer box routine, I present it with patter, and in addition to the silks and beads, it also has some flower bouquet productions as a part of it.

With the square circle routine, I present it to music, and in addition to the silks, it also has a flagstaff production as a part of it.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
My description was somewhat incorrect. The parasols are produced via a table steal; they are not in the Kuma Tubes.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2010-08-10 05:52, wmhegbli wrote:
Abbott's Magic refused to make me a Phantom Tube and they said it was to old and not a seller any longer.

This item (Ghost Tube, from Barry Mitchell) might be of interest to you.

- Donald
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Thanks Donald, I am old school and looking for a traditional type of Phantom Tube, with the end rings for the tissue paper cover. Thanks for your suggestion, I did not see that one in my search.

I only found Richard Hughes and another that are larger then I care to use. I am looking for one that is around 10" long and approx. 3 inches in diameter, that has the rings for the tissue. I am willing to bend a little but I don't care to have a monster tube to mess with, just a nice flash production.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Morrissey Magic makes a Dove Drumhead Tube about the size you described, where you use tissue held in place with rings, although the method is different than a phantom tube. (Scroll down towards bottom of page for the larger prop.)

I've seen performers use silks as the production item, instead of livestock.

- Donald
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2010-08-10 17:39, wmhegbli wrote:
Thanks Donald, I am old school and looking for a traditional type of Phantom Tube, with the end rings for the tissue paper cover. I am looking for one that is around 10" long and approx. 3 inches in diameter, that has the rings for the tissue. I am willing to bend a little but I don't care to have a monster tube to mess with, just a nice flash production.

While I was searching for a response to this post in The Wizards' Journal #14 - "Flower Power" I ran across an old effect I had made from a Dollar Store clear plastic spaghetti canister that was just about the size of the Phantom Tube you mentioned. You trim the top and bottom off the spaghetti canister so you have a nice tube about 10" by 3". You cover the top and bottom openings with tissue paper, held on by rubber bands or plastic or cardboard rings. Suddenly a sizable load of silks and/or flowers appears inside the clear plastic tube. You remove the tissue from one end and pour out the load into a parasol or basket. Then a second load of similar size appears inside the clear plastic tube.

I also had a third load, now that I think of it, but I didn't put that into the e-Book. I'm getting forgetful. However, anyone who has (or gets) "Flower Power" from Wiz J #14 can have the principle of the third load just for the asking. The effect is, you have just removed the tissue from both ends of the clear plastic tube and reach into the tube one last time to pull one end of a huge 50 foot silk banner from one opening and the other end from the opposite opening. It happens too fast for anyone to catch on where it came from. Send me an e-mail from the same e-mail address you used to order the e-Book and request the THIRD LOAD for the Crystal Tube Production if you want it.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
My favorite production of large quantity of silks that I use today is the Zebra Tube - You can produce an amazing amount of silks from it.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Without a doubt it is the Line of Silks that is made for the 36' or 48' stage. (That is 16 full sized 18" or 24" silks on a ribbon.) It packs very small and uses the whole stage.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2010-08-15 09:27, Bob Sanders wrote:
Without a doubt it is the Line of Silks that is made for the 36' or 48' stage. (That is 16 full sized 18" or 24" silks on a ribbon.) It packs very small and uses the whole stage.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Bob that is a great suggestion, but one 1st must have something to pull that great line of silks out of 1st.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bill,

That is true. My favorite is after a bottle of wine from a THIS (Improved) but I can alos get them from coat pockets, square circles, pagodas, change bags, paper cup, etc.

The cargo space required is minimal. When loaded the 18" silk set is slightly larger than a pack of cigarettes and the 24" size is about twice that size.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
Hi everyone, been gone for awhile. Good to be back.

Just finished a long run of library shows using Barry Mitchell's Ghost Tube. I used it with the Little Fishy silks sold by Tim Sonefelt. It made for a great "undersea" adventure story that blended nicely with the library theme this summer.
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hi TRUMPETMAN! Welcome back!

I had a unique, custom-built Square Circle, that held a phenomenal load. It was performed to music, and held all of my silks, the most beautiful of which I saved until last, and then, I pulled out a rubber chicken at the end. It always got a good laugh!

That Square Circle was beautiful in itself. I'd do that all over again, if I ever did stage magic again. I only paid something like $25 for it at a Magic yard sale.

Doug

Quote:
On 2010-08-19 18:57, Dougini wrote:...I'd do that all over again, if I ever did stage magic again...

Oh, and I might add, I would pay royalties to BMI/ASCAP for using copyrighted music.

;)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » What is Your Favorite Stage Silk Production? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL