The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » We don't accept Visa. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
So my daughter is about to begin Pre-School and my wife and I have been searching all around to find one that is an actual Pre-School and not a glorified daycare center.

Anyhow, we find one that is affordable and works great with our schedule, and is only two days a week for 7 hours per day....PERFECT!

We fill out the application and pay (in cash) our $200 application fee. We receive the final slot for the September enrollment.

We are then contacted by the school to set up the monthly payment schedule. Come tof find out THEY DO NOT ACCEPT VISA!

WHAT!?!?!?

EVERYONE ACCEPTS VISA! I'm still trying to wrap my head around this concept. They accept all plastic but Visa.

Between my wife and myself, we each have a debit card (Visa) and we each have major credit cards (all Visa). They won't accept a check and don't do cash payments (the application fee goes elsewhere so Cash was requested). They only accept plastic (but not Visa).

So the end result was we had to get a refund on our application fee and take her out of the September enrollment.

I'm really hacked off by this...!!!!!

WHO THE heck doesn't take Visa? Everyone on the planet takes Visa. They never would offer me any explanation for why they don't.

Aggravated....!!!!
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Sooo. It's NOT everywhere you want to be???

T.V. has failed meeeeeeeeeeeeee.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Maybe it is not their choice? Maybe Visa had complaints, and took away their Visa merchant status. In which case, they may be loathe to discuss this with you.

And who carries only one brand of credit card / plastic these days anyway? Smile

I guess you didn't want to sign up for a different free credit card, just to use with this daycare?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
They also may feel that the discount fees for accepting Visa cards are too high.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Do they take American Express?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
My wife worked at preschools and private grade schools and none of them accepted cards of any type.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Soon everyone in the world will only be accepting Carbon Credits.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Cash is legal for all debts public and private.

Could you withdraw cash from a bank and put it on Visa? I'm just asking. I have no credit cards.

- Mary Mowder
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
That makes up for the fact that USA Track and Field, the Olympics, USA Gymnastics, etc. ONLY accept VISA... Mwahahahahahah...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-08-10 21:59, Mary Mowder wrote:

Cash is legal for all debts public and private.

Yes, but that doesn't apply here. Thanks for playing. Smile

http://www.ustreas.gov/education/faq/cur......er.shtml

The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Mary
With an ATM debit card you can get cash from any ATM machine in practically every country around the world. Do you have an ATM debit card?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-08-10 21:59, Mary Mowder wrote:

Could you withdraw cash from a bank and put it on Visa? I'm just asking. I have no credit cards.

In one way or another, yes. You can have a negative balance (i.e., a cash credit) on a Visa card. This can arise for example when you intentionally overpay a Visa bill. I imagine most credit cards work the same way.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Not sure of the reason they won't accept Visa...doesn't matter anyway, it is what it is...

I was surprised when they wouldn't accept CASH as a form of payment, but they said that they do not keep cash on site and did not wish to for safety reasons. I guess I can "sort of" understand that.

They won't take a personal check or a money order either. Not sure why they wouldn't accept a money order, but whatever...

They are only set up for AX, MC, or DS. My wife and I each have a Visa Debit Card and a Visa CC. Not by choice mind you, it just how it turned out. I never thought that Visa would be denied anywhere.

We thought about quickly trying to get a MC so we could pay for classes, but decided in the long run it wasn't worth it.

Our Pre-School search continues...

(groan)
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2010-08-10 21:59, ClintonMagus wrote:
That makes up for the fact that USA Track and Field, the Olympics, USA Gymnastics, etc. ONLY accept VISA... Mwahahahahahah...

When the Summer Olympics were held in Australia in 88? It was advertised the only card that was accepted there as American Express. Yes I'm one hundred percent positive on this. Other cards may be accepted there now but back then they were not.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2010-08-11 01:22, RS1963 wrote:
Quote:

When the Summer Olympics were held in Australia in 88? It was advertised the only card that was accepted there as American Express. Yes I'm one hundred percent positive on this. Other cards may be accepted there now but back then they were not.

The summer Olympics in 1988 were in Seoul, not Australia. Australia had them in 1956 and 2000 (according to sources on the web, including the official Olympics site), so I'm not sure what you are thinking of.

Anyway, apparently Visa has had a lock on the Olympics since Seoul 1988.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/jun......-tickets

Paul Woodmansey, a press officer for London 2012, said the exclusive arrangement with Visa was not "unusual in any way or form. As a sponsor, they gain exclusivity in their sector," he said. "This has been the situation since [the Olympics in] Seoul in 1988."

And Visa continues its stranglehold at the Olympics until at least 2020:

http://corporate.visa.com/media-center/m......ic.shtml
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3662 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Yes Al, I do have a Debit Card and several times the bank has tried to force a credit card on me by stealth (putting it on my debit card). I know I can get cash from a machine but I wasn't sure if that's how credit cards worked.

Anyway it doesn't seem to have been a viable solution to the problem.

I understand your frustration Chris. As a person who doesn't want a credit card I've had several of these problems myself which I had forgotten. I ended up frustrated too.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Thanks everyone...

Nothing will really fix this situation, but it did help bring down my insanity a tad...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
For some reason, my son's large state college doesn't take Visa but takes MC. Can't be the transaction fee, either, because they add a percentage to cover that.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2010-08-11 01:29, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-08-11 01:22, RS1963 wrote:
Quote:

The summer Olympics in 1988 were in Seoul, not Australia. Australia had them in 1956 and 2000 (according to sources on the web, including the official Olympics site), so I'm not sure what you are thinking of.

Anyway, apparently Visa has had a lock on the Olympics since Seoul 1988.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/jun......-tickets

Paul Woodmansey, a press officer for London 2012, said the exclusive arrangement with Visa was not "unusual in any way or form. As a sponsor, they gain exclusivity in their sector," he said. "This has been the situation since [the Olympics in] Seoul in 1988."

And Visa continues its stranglehold at the Olympics until at least 2020:

http://corpor
ate.visa.com/media-center/media-kits/olympic.shtml

Sorry yes I had the year messed up. It may have been a marketing ploy but the advertisements for the 2000 summer games did say Visa wasn't accepted. I've been trying to look up any information on that but have come up with a big goose egg so far. I know it isn't something that I am remembering incorrectly however.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
In real life, most viable vendors would be better off with their own accounts receivable rather than taking VISA. Among other things it helps qualify customers and promote customer loyalty. You will note that the financially successful businesses (WalMart et al) are promoting their own credit cards again.

Many other businesses no longer accept checks either. (Not unrelated to the banking failures and lack of leadership in the USA.)

Credit cards were essentially for customers who needed more time to pay for purchases. Once that got out of hand this debtor nation got into real trouble. Our government seems to believe that you can borrow your way out of debt. There is no free lunch. There is also a crippling shortage of people in the USA who understand business and finance. We do not rank in the upper levels of world economies for all of the right reasons.

Unfortunately, only the productive are available to pay the bills of the irresponsible. Since the election of 2006, smart money has left the USA with the speed of light. I encourage businesses to NOT take credit cards. Lucy and I do not accept credit cards in our businesses. We do accept checks from responsible people. With the failure of US banking "funds available" schemes to rob depositors of control of their bank deposits even make that unattractive. The failure of the US banking system goes much, much deeper than accepting VISA. These may be the "good ole days". The outlook is very poor.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » We don't accept Visa. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL